Sign in to follow this  
Heytea

How are apps looked at?

Since UVIC is an index school, do the admin just calculate the index score and based on that alone (look at personal statements?) send acceptances out? Do they look at ones transcripts more closely than just for calculating the index score? as in look at trends...? Thanks!

I spoke with someone whose been on the committee in previous years, so I'm 99.9% sure this is accurate. Basically they take GPA with drops and LSAT score, and make an index. If you're at a certain index score (they wouldn't disclose what it is, but I've heard rumblings of 90.5) then you're automatically admitted.

If you are below that, then the real process begins. Each member looks at your stats, reads your personal statement, and considers your undergraduate degree difficulty, experience etc. They then each make a ranking of candidates, and get back together to discuss their top picks until all offers are sent out. As offers are declined and spots become available, they do the entire deliberation again.

I found it pretty surprising because I thought UVic was a numbers school, but turns out, if you aren't auto-admit it's actually quite holistic. 

GPA and LSAT are 50/50 but that doesnt mean other things aren't looked at.