Ryn

Admissions FAQ, OLSAS GPA calculator, chances predictor, and personal statement assembler

Are the mathematical equations underpinning the admissions predictor available directly? I have a master Excel document tracking everything relating to my admissions process and it would be helpful to have the (admittedly approximated) formulas for Ontario schools so I can play around with scenarios and consolidate information. For example, my spreadsheet lights up for UBC, UVIC, and UofA chances via the known index formulas based on various measures of my grades (L2, % w/ drops for UBC, GPA with drops for UVIC) and LSAT scores (existing and predicted).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

On 10/1/2019 at 3:13 PM, Turtles said:

Are the mathematical equations underpinning the admissions predictor available directly? I have a master Excel document tracking everything relating to my admissions process and it would be helpful to have the (admittedly approximated) formulas for Ontario schools so I can play around with scenarios and consolidate information. For example, my spreadsheet lights up for UBC, UVIC, and UofA chances via the known index formulas based on various measures of my grades (L2, % w/ drops for UBC, GPA with drops for UVIC) and LSAT scores (existing and predicted).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

No I haven’t released the formulas for the most recent predictor. But, for the first predictor I wrote back in 2015, I included all the formulas in one of my posts for the thread. If you go back to it you can probably find it. 

Hello @Ryn, i hope you are doing well 😃

I was wondering, is there a way to calculate your cGPA if you went on exchange? Right now my cGPA includes all my grades from all my academic semesters except for the one semester I went on exchange. This is because those grades translated into pass grades. In which case, I guess the question can also be posed, how does the calculator sort pass/fail grades? 

TYSM!! 

18 minutes ago, Ontario said:

Hello @Ryn, i hope you are doing well 😃

I was wondering, is there a way to calculate your cGPA if you went on exchange? Right now my cGPA includes all my grades from all my academic semesters except for the one semester I went on exchange. This is because those grades translated into pass grades. In which case, I guess the question can also be posed, how does the calculator sort pass/fail grades? 

TYSM!! 

It does not, and pass/fail grades simply don't count in the OLSAS calculation. Only credit courses for which you received a letter or percentage grade are included in my calculator, and only those will be used to calculate your official OLSAS cGPA as well. Adcoms will look at your exchange marks, but those marks will not be part of your OLSAS average. Some schools may do their own internal calculations that include exchange grades, but I think this is unlikely, generally speaking. I know Osgoode does not (only the official OLSAS-calculated GPA is used, with exchange marks being a "soft" factor).

On 4/30/2020 at 11:42 PM, Ryn said:

It does not, and pass/fail grades simply don't count in the OLSAS calculation. Only credit courses for which you received a letter or percentage grade are included in my calculator, and only those will be used to calculate your official OLSAS cGPA as well. Adcoms will look at your exchange marks, but those marks will not be part of your OLSAS average. Some schools may do their own internal calculations that include exchange grades, but I think this is unlikely, generally speaking. I know Osgoode does not (only the official OLSAS-calculated GPA is used, with exchange marks being a "soft" factor).

Thanks for the info! I went on exchange in my 3rd year, so I was wondering how would the L2 or best 3 be calculated with only pass grades for one semester in my 3rd year? 

Thanks! 

4 hours ago, surf2020 said:

Thanks for the info! I went on exchange in my 3rd year, so I was wondering how would the L2 or best 3 be calculated with only pass grades for one semester in my 3rd year? 

Thanks! 

I'm not sure how it would be calculated. I think that would be up to the schools individually. My suspicion is that they would just take your other marks from the other three semesters and make that your "L2". But I don't know if they'll reach into your last semester of second year to make up for it.

When I look at the Admissions Predictor, it gives me this comment regarding UofT:

At Toronto, admitted applicants had a cGPA around 3.83 and LSAT around 167. Because both of these scores are lower for you, it's likely having an effect on your chances.

Why is the Predictor basing my chances at UofT on my cGPA in lieu of my B3? 

B3: 3.88

cGPA: 3.71

163 (2 cancels) 

6 minutes ago, TreesInForest555 said:

When I look at the Admissions Predictor, it gives me this comment regarding UofT:

Why is the Predictor basing my chances at UofT on my cGPA in lieu of my B3? 

B3: 3.88

cGPA: 3.71

163 (2 cancels) 

admission predictor->about this predictor->"While an attempt was made to construct a model using L2/B3 for various schools, none of them yielded as accurate predictions as those suing solely cGPA. "

• Thanks 2

Hi! I just used this calculator and I was wondering what the difference is between cumulative and best 3? I'm going into my 4th year of undergrad so I only have 3 years of grades to report, but I'm getting different GPAs for those categories using the calculator. Thanks in advance!

On 9/2/2020 at 10:52 PM, vancity27 said:

Hi! I just used this calculator and I was wondering what the difference is between cumulative and best 3? I'm going into my 4th year of undergrad so I only have 3 years of grades to report, but I'm getting different GPAs for those categories using the calculator. Thanks in advance!

The B3/L2 calculations are based off of credits and not literal years. If you have a lot of courses with inconsistent credit values, the algorithm will be slightly off. Because every school will have their own way of calculating these scores, I would not rely on B3/L2 to be anything more than a reasonable estimate. The only calculation you can more or less rely on is cGPA, as that is calculated in accordance with the OLSAS standard.

5 hours ago, MountainMon said:

Would be nice if credit/no-credit grades were an option in the calculator. 

To be honest, this would only be helpful in the case of estimating L2/B3. For cGPA it's entirely irrelevant, as CR grades are excluded from your GPA calculation entirely. For L2/B3, it would only matter because it would affect which "years" are taken into consideration by the algorithm.

• Thanks 1

On 9/4/2020 at 4:04 PM, Ryn said:

To be honest, this would only be helpful in the case of estimating L2/B3. For cGPA it's entirely irrelevant, as CR grades are excluded from your GPA calculation entirely. For L2/B3, it would only matter because it would affect which "years" are taken into consideration by the algorithm.

Yep, that's true. Just wanted to point out that it would be helpful for people who have CR/NCRs and aren't gunning for cGPA schools (like me!).

• Like 1