LawSoon

What are my chances?

Posted (edited)

3.3 GPA, 155 LSAT, serious Access application with loads of official documentation. Very strong references & ECs. 

Edited by LawSoon

Apply broadly, and I'd recommend rewriting the LSAT for a 160+. You should also calculate your L2 for Queens/Western. Overall, I'd say there's a fair chance of being accepted somewhere.

Depends on the school. I do not think that you could get into Osgoode, Ottawa, Western or Queen's. Maybe Windsor. 

43 minutes ago, LawSoon said:

3.3 GPA, 155 LSAT, serious Access application with loads of official documentation. Very strong references & ECs. 

I think the odds are very good that you're a carbon-based life form. 

I assume that's the question you're asking. 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, LawSoon said:

How serious and what type of official documentation?

2 hours ago, LawSoon said:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, LawSoon said:

I think part of the reason you're getting joke answers is because of your belief that a 3.3 would elicit "very strong references".

9 minutes ago, NapoleonBonaparte said:

I think part of the reason you're getting joke answers is because of your belief that a 3.3 would elicit "very strong references".

you could have a 3.3 and have very strong references ( e.g. imagine a 99 in  a few courses whereas you had a terrible first year bringing down your cgpa etc), although of course your right that all of us always assume the strength of our references, its subjective by nature our estimation of their strength, we never actually see the letters lol

1 hour ago, NapoleonBonaparte said:

You know, you're throwing a lot of attitude for a guy who showed up here basically yesterday. You may well have a good perspective on issues relating to law school and legal practice, and I haven't seen any evidence yet that you don't know what you're taking about. But you're coming close, here.

Any applicant, regardless of references or whatever else, with a 3.3 GPA and a 155 LSAT is obviously a weaker applicant. But the suggestion that a B+ average student could not have strong references - which is to say, could not have impressed professors or other individuals in authority in meaningful ways - is really just absurd. It's an idea that's blatantly at odds with reality.

So, yeah. I don't know anything about this student otherwise. But it's entirely possible (though also highly speculative, as mentioned already) that they could have strong references.

• Like 9

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Diplock said:

You know, you're throwing a lot of attitude for a guy who showed up here basically yesterday. You may well have a good perspective on issues relating to law school and legal practice, and I haven't seen any evidence yet that you don't know what you're taking about. But you're coming close, here.

Any applicant, regardless of references or whatever else, with a 3.3 GPA and a 155 LSAT is obviously a weaker applicant. But the suggestion that a B+ average student could not have strong references - which is to say, could not have impressed professors or other individuals in authority in meaningful ways - is really just absurd. It's an idea that's blatantly at odds with reality.

So, yeah. I don't know anything about this student otherwise. But it's entirely possible (though also highly speculative, as mentioned already) that they could have strong references.

My skepticism and pessimism get the better of me more times than I care to admit. It's something I'm working on. 

Edited by NapoleonBonaparte
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, NapoleonBonaparte said:

My skepticism and pessimism get the better of me more times than I care to admit. It's something I'm working on. 

We are all working on something right?:D

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, LawSoon said:

83.3 GPA, 155 LSAT, serious Access application with loads of official documentation. Very strong references & ECs. 

OP,  in chances threads most of our opinions comes from our own analysis or accepted/rejected thread stats for the different schools, our own experiences applying in our own admission cycles, some here have seen many cycles comes and go, plus statistical data posted to school websites about median gpa and lsat etc. But none of us are on the committees ( well probably most of are not lol) and each applicants case will be a unique aggregation of many variables, plus just the sheer nature of admissions means there is a large element of subjectivity involved, only the specific collection of  people in that room on that specific day could know the outcome, and that's only after they do there own lengthy ( i would at least hope lengthy lol) analysis

but I remember having people input advise on chances for me, plus gathering as much info as I could helped me with the anxiety of the uncertainty lol I'm sure most of us have been there to some degree or another,

I'm sure you already know this is going to be an uphill journey, but in order to really give you a better picture we need your last 2 gpa and best 2 gpa. eg even with your cgpa, if you had a 4.0 b2/l2 and a 155 lsat, your application would have a decent shot at many schools, but a 3.3 cgpa and b2/l2 and it becomes more improbable of securing an admissions offer

however, even with your gpa and lsat, of the schools I know of, one school comes to mind. U of sask had a incoming class median of 3.34 along with a 158 lsat, right in your stat range ( albeit the lsat is higher for the median), meaning you would have a good shot there if you could establish a sask connection,. Without a sask connection its more difficult, but I would still apply. I would also apply to Windsor and hope they holistically evaluate my file ( but I warn, Windsor is a blackbox and rejects people with good stats), I know less of the stats of the following, but also check out Ottawa, tru, and lakehead, for a better idea of other schools we need your b2 or l2

Edited by Timmies123

16 hours ago, LawSoon said:

Access applicants are a blackbox with no way of giving a concrete answer. I know because I practically begged around this forum for someone to give me chances. Each school interprets access category differently, so without even knowing which schools you are applying to it is difficult to give you an answer on how your stats may or may not factor in. So I will give you a basic response based on my own experience applying access. 

Some schools, like Osgoode, will give your entire package more weight as an access applicant rather than giving priority to your stats (Osgoode has gone more holistic over the last few years, but numbers appear to still be king). Queen's on the other hand lowers the numbers they consider to be competitive from 3.7 and 157 to 3.3 and 152. Though it has been awhile since I looked so those numbers may be a bit skewed, the point still stands that there are two models for access. Your stats wouldn't go far as a regular applicant, but as an access applicant you may have a shot at schools like Queen's and Windsor. The key word here is may. As an access applicant, you want to clearly establish how your reason for applying access impacted you grades, and how despite that reason you will succeed in law school. Access isn't a free diversity ticket into law school as some may believe. Rather, access is a category reserved for those facing extreme circumstances (disability, personal reasons that don't fall under "c'est la vie") and in order for an access applicant to be accepted, they need to demonstrate why they are access and how they succeed despite it. If you only have the why, but not the how, your chances fall apart. 

With lots of official documentation, you have the why part finished. You now just need the how. Best of luck to you!

13 hours ago, NapoleonBonaparte said:

If all a reference can say is "this student got a 90 in my course" then they're not a very good reference, IMO. I chose a prof of a course that I didn't do extremely well in but whom I had a good rapport with and got to know outside of class. 

53 minutes ago, chaboywb said:

If all a reference can say is "this student got a 90 in my course" then they're not a very good reference, IMO. I chose a prof of a course that I didn't do extremely well in but whom I had a good rapport with and got to know outside of class. 

That's a fair point.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, chaboywb said:

I think it was Mike Spivey from Spivey Consulting that said these types of reference letters are actually weak in the world of reference letters. Actual bad letters are rare so whatever remains is generally positive. After that, it's a matter of what's a "good" positive reference and what's a "bad" one. 

(I wouldn't sign up with a consulting firm just for my application, but it's a big thing in the US apparently.)

Edited by Psychometronic