breakaleg

Another chances post.. 3.6/167 + life exp

Posted (edited)

Hi all! Feeling a lot of anxiety, hopefully, posting/feedback will help? 

I did a science (BMSc (Honours) from Western) degree. Did really well in my first two years (3.8/9), wrote my lsat, got 167.

Then got into a pedestrian vehicle accident with a pickup truck. My right leg snapped in half. Needless to say, it kind of derailed my life and my mental health. Instead of taking a year off to heal, I went back to school with a lower course load (still a fulltime student). But my mental health suffered and my grades weren't great in third and fourth year. I pushed through and decided to finish school instead of taking time off. I probably could have done much better if I had taken a few years.

My cGPA is 3.6 (T2=3.81, T3=3.74). I'm hoping to apply to Osgoode, U of T, Western, and Ottawa. In terms of extracurriculars, I was really involved with student government, theatre, and charity organizations.

I was also diagnosed with PTSD after my accident and put on antidepressants/did therapy, is this something I should withhold from admissions? I'm coming off the antidepressants now and will be entirely off by August. I'm doing a one year masters degree in communications from Ryerson this fall. To be honest, am definitely debating whether I want to do law or go into communications, but I think I would like to still pursue law school for a number of reasons (that I won't go into here). 

Any and all advice would be appreciated! Re: PTSD, whether re-writing the LSAT is worth the slight improvement, whether it's even worth applying to law school with my stats, how much to share about my life experiences? 

Edited by breakaleg

First of all, my condolences about that accident, it sounds like you're doing better, which is great.

Secondly, your stats are very competitive, particularly your B2. I recommend against redoing the LSAT, you don't need to.

Thirdly, I think mentioning the accident and resultant trauma is perfectly fine, if you want to. It's clearly something that has had a major impact on your life, and your schooling. You were faced with a major obstacle in life, and you not only dealt with trauma and injury but were quite successful in school meanwhile. I think that reflects very well on your ability to succeed in law school.

By the sounds of it, I think you're a strong candidate, and I would strongly encourage you to pursue law school if you want to. (And besides, it's probably a more secure career than communications :P)

• Like 3

Your current grades and Lsat are still very competitive - you will have your choice of several schools.  The only reason to improve either number would be if high paying scholarships were very important to you. 

I would mention the accident and mental health impact only briefly and vaguely to explain your lower grades in 3 and 4 year, and then mention how you are now recovered and moving on. I think specific mention of ptsd and antidepressants are words that might make the random admission committee member nervous for no good reason, and not any of their business, if you are recovering. 

Is there any part of that accident experience that taught you something valueable that is going to help you be a better lawyer? That is what I would talk about in my personal statement. 

• Like 2

Your LSAT is very competitive and, especially with your GPA, a rewrite isn't necessary at all. Have you converted your GPA to the OLSAS scale yet?

As for your PS, I would definitely share it if you want to. As richelieu mentioned, that you maintained a high overall GPA despite your accident speaks to your strength and perseverence.

Best of luck with applications!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, breakaleg said:

I did a science (BMSc (Honours) from Western) degree. Did really well in my first two years (3.8/9), wrote my lsat, got 167.

Then got into a pedestrian vehicle accident with a pickup truck. My right leg snapped in half. Needless to say, it kind of derailed my life and my mental health. Instead of taking a year off to heal, I went back to school with a lower course load (still a fulltime student). But my mental health suffered and my grades weren't great in third and fourth year. I pushed through and decided to finish school instead of taking time off. I probably could have done much better if I had taken a few years.

My cGPA is 3.6 (T2=3.81, T3=3.74). I'm hoping to apply to Osgoode, U of T, Western, and Ottawa. In terms of extracurriculars, I was really involved with student government, theatre, and charity organizations.

Sorry to hear about your accident. You have exceptional stats all the same. You're in at Western, Ottawa, Queen's if you want, and Osgoode is also likely. Can't speak to Toronto but your LSAT is above the median.

You are definitely getting into law school that you listed.

2 hours ago, breakaleg said:

I was also diagnosed with PTSD after my accident and put on antidepressants/did therapy, is this something I should withhold from admissions? I'm coming off the antidepressants now and will be entirely off by August.  

Yes. Your accident and subsequent PTSD would have adversely affected your GPA. Won't make or break your application with your stats but it might help with U of T. You did not include your fourth-year GPA in your post, btw.

I honestly think you're guaranteed at Oz, and have a strong chance at u of t. Fill out part B for Oz, make sure you do the supplemental thing for u of t (and make sure it's a good piece of writing, just like the main personal statement).

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your accident. I have suffered a similar, but not nearly as traumatic, injury and I know how awful it is, it's really the worst. Just know that, in time, it does get better.

You are in 100% at all schools in Ontario except UofT, for which you still have a good chance but it isn't a certain thing. I'd say 75+% chance at UofT. Don't rewrite though, it's unnecessary. 

• Like 1

On 2018-07-18 at 6:20 PM, Girby said:

Sorry to hear about your accident. You have exceptional stats all the same. You're in at Western, Ottawa, Queen's if you want, and Osgoode is also likely. Can't speak to Toronto but your LSAT is above the median.

You are definitely getting into law school that you listed.

Yes. Your accident and subsequent PTSD would have adversely affected your GPA. Won't make or break your application with your stats but it might help with U of T. You did not include your fourth-year GPA in your post, btw.

My fourth year GPA was a 3.2 on the OLSAS scale. Mostly 80s with a few low 60s that really pulled me down. 

On 2018-07-19 at 7:03 AM, Luckycharm said:

why didn't you apply last Nov?

I took summer school to catch up and ended up doing really poorly and I was doubting my ability to do well in school. Honestly, I didn't want too go into law in sept 2018 and risk doing poorly in 1L because I wasn't ready/recovered. In hindsight, I probably should have applied. 

--

To everyone else, thank you so much! I was really worried about the downward trend and how that would look but I feel reassured. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, breakaleg said:

My fourth year GPA was a 3.2 on the OLSAS scale. Mostly 80s with a few low 60s that really pulled me down. 

Well, that is significant. Some schools place greater value on your last two or three years. I think you're fine in any event but that's a significant dip.

On 18/07/2018 at 4:08 PM, breakaleg said:

I was also diagnosed with PTSD after my accident and put on antidepressants/did therapy, is this something I should withhold from admissions? I'm coming off the antidepressants now and will be entirely off by August. I'm doing a one year masters degree in communications from Ryerson this fall. To be honest, am definitely debating whether I want to do law or go into communications, but I think I would like to still pursue law school for a number of reasons (that I won't go into here). 

Any and all advice would be appreciated! Re: PTSD, whether re-writing the LSAT is worth the slight improvement, whether it's even worth applying to law school with my stats, how much to share about my life experiences? 

Yo just apply access category + story how it affected your Acad career. Even get documentation. 3.6 and 167+ is high enough an admit at all schools either way, and can if I write the adversity/hardship essay for uoft and osgoode a likely admit too.