stqust

Chances: 3.43 cGPA / 3.93 L2 / 3.86 B3 / 153 LSAT / Diversity+Unique Experiences

Hi Everyone,

Looking for an honest and frank assessment of my chances. Took a fifth year after undergrad (all years at a 5.0 course load). Will start a one year MA in Sept.

Stats (OLSAS): 3.43 CGPA / 3.93 L2 / 3.86 B3

• Alberta L2 GPA:  4.00
  • Dalhousie L2 GPA:  4.14
  • Calgary L2 GPA:  3.85

Each year increased, improved from OLSAS 2.66 first year to 3.99 fifth year.

LSAT: 150, 152, 153

Experiences:

• Raised by single mom (immigrated to Canada), we were sexually abused by my father
  • English is not my first language
  • Extreme poverty growing up
  • 2 major family tragedies during my 1st/2nd year of undergrad, did not focus on school
  • 5+  years volunteering at a refugee center in my city
  • Volunteered at a shelter for abused women+children
  • Other various ECs (members of clubs, research assistant, etc.)
  • Speak 4 languages, learning another language

References and PS:

• 3 very strong letters (2 academic, 1 non-academic)
  • PS should be very well written (received A+ on 6+ English/composition courses)

Applying to:

• Toronto, Osgoode, UBC (discretionary), Queen's (access), Western (access), Ottawa (access), Calgary (special facts), Dalhousie, Alberta

Edited by stqust
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Luckycharm said:

Re-write 

After 3 tries? :huh:

OP I don’t do chances, but I have had a lot of the experiences you have and it is not easy. I don’t know what your future holds, but I want to encourage you to keep moving forward with optimism even in the tough times. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks a lot. Do you think that my softs/experiences can carry me into Osgoode? I saw 2 people in the 153-155 range get accepted this year.

1 minute ago, providence said:

but I have had a lot of the experiences you have and it is not easy. I don’t know what your future holds, but I want to encourage you to keep moving forward with optimism even in the tough times. 

That means a lot. Thank you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stqust said:

Thanks a lot. Do you think that my softs/experiences can carry me into Osgoode? I saw 2 people in the 153-155 range get accepted this year.

I have no idea. I would think it’s iffy with your LSAT scores but I’m not really the person to answer that. 

I was waitlisted at Osgoode (all the other Ontario schools rejected me) 2 years ago with a 3.25 / 3.55 / 150, 152 and much weaker PS + Part B. Hopefully I have a better shot this year. All aspects of my application have improved since then

Edited by stqust

29 minutes ago, stqust said:

Given the fact that Osgoode is a strict cGPA school I wouldn't be hopeful with just a 153, not to sound harsh. I would encourage you to rewrite. If you can get that score up to high 150s I'd say you're golden for Queens/Western and have a shot at Osgoode for sure. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Prospero said:

Given the fact that Osgoode is a strict cGPA school I wouldn't be hopeful with just a 153, not to sound harsh. I would encourage you to rewrite. If you can get that score up to high 150s I'd say you're golden for Queens/Western and have a shot at Osgoode for sure. 

Appreciate the advice, thanks. I'm very likely gonna rewrite in Nov (can't in Sept). I'm just praying that Osgoode is as holistic as they seem and that my experiences can make up for 4-5 lsat points

Not sure if it helps because I applied in the general categories but, I got rejected from all Ontario schools with the exception of Ottawa where I am waitlisted with a 3.63 cGPA and 154 LSAT. Although I am not diverse in any way and my "unique" experience is that I work at a law firm. Though, I don't know how unique that is. I'd suggest rewriting. Best of luck and good on you for improving throughout school given your circumstances. 

Edited by SlickRick
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SlickRick said:

Not sure if it helps because I applied in the general categories but, I got rejected from all Ontario schools with the exception of Ottawa where I am waitlisted with a 3.63 cGPA and 154 LSAT. Although I am not diverse in any way and my "unique" experience is that I work at a law firm. Though, I don't know how unique that is. I'd suggest rewriting. Best of luck and good on you for improving throughout school given your circumstances. 

Appreciate that, thanks a lot. Wish you the best of luck. I've only been in this community for less than an hr. and the support from the comments to the messages has been incredible. Thanks everyone.

Edited by stqust
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Prospero said:

I thought Osgoode had a holistic approach, so they say.

7 minutes ago, krnprykt said:

A holistic approach is meant to evaluate a less competitive academic record with a consciousness of the factors affecting less-than-stellar performance. It uses personal circumstances as a supplement to an academic record, not a replacement. There's a margin where your circumstances can "make up for" the performance gap, but if the margin is too large it won't help you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, krnprykt said:

It does, but it doesn’t mean you don’t try to get the best numbers you can. 

It's worth considering what's keeping your LSAT scores in that range. How have you been studying? Are there specific areas of weakness that can be improved upon with a different approach or more targeted practice? You've shown that you can overcome difficult circumstances to raise your GPA substantially but I would agree with those who suggested a rewrite for a higher LSAT. 

Edited by Psychometronic
  • Thanks 1

@providenceThat's true, is it safe to say that at the end of the day there are only the LSAT score and cGPA that matter?

Where does PS stand in this matter? 

Edited by krnprykt

I'm definitely going to try to rewrite in Nov. was practicing in the 158-161 range (very realistic pts) for 4 exams before June 2018. I blanked out in June and paid the price for it.

I just went through the Osgoode accepted thread for this year and there were 3 acceptances in Jan - 3.66/3.75/154, another with similar numbers, and a 3.2/3.6/158. So I hope i'm not too far off with a 3.4 3.9 153. I believe there was also some 3.8-4.0 B3 and 155-158 in the 2015 Toronto accepted thread too. If these people (or others with similar stats/situations) could chime in that would help immensely, not just for me but also for the wider community 

Edited by stqust

2 hours ago, stqust said:

Hi Everyone,

Looking for an honest and frank assessment of my chances. Took a fifth year after undergrad (all years at a 5.0 course load). Will start a one year MA in Sept.

Stats (OLSAS): 3.43 CGPA / 3.93 L2 / 3.86 B3

• Alberta L2 GPA:  4.00
  • Dalhousie L2 GPA:  4.14
  • Calgary L2 GPA:  3.85

Each year increased, improved from OLSAS 2.66 first year to 3.99 fifth year.

LSAT: 150, 152, 153

Experiences:

• Raised by single mom (immigrated to Canada), we were sexually abused by my father
  • English is not my first language
  • Extreme poverty growing up
  • 2 major family tragedies during my 1st/2nd year of undergrad, did not focus on school
  • 5+  years volunteering at a refugee center in my city
  • Volunteered at a shelter for abused women+children
  • Other various ECs (members of clubs, research assistant, etc.)
  • Speak 4 languages, learning another language

References and PS:

• 3 very strong letters (2 academic, 1 non-academic)
  • PS should be very well written (received A+ on 6+ English/composition courses)

Applying to:

• Toronto, Osgoode, UBC (discretionary), Queen's (access), Western (access), Ottawa (access), Calgary (special facts), Dalhousie, Alberta

Have you thought of applying to TRU?

8 minutes ago, Heytea said:

Have you thought of applying to TRU?

Why TRU? I'm looking into  Manitoba and UNB right now too but would ideally like to stay in Ontario

Edited by stqust