On 2018-07-13 at 5:35 PM, Rearden said:

If I were you, I'd get a standing desk. I don't have one myself, but my back and posture definitely suffered because of law school.

If cost isn't a factor, I've heard/read that these are the gold standard: https://www.fully.com/standing-desks/l-shaped.html. You can even add a bottle opener for $8.

My partner uses a standing desk and swears by it. She has this one from Ikea which is significantly less expensive than the ones from Fully and are also adjustable (crank) so you can alternate between sitting and standing https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S29084966/ . It is also large and so there's plenty of room to spread out.

Related topic: any good chair suggestions? I've been looking at some gaming chairs but they're like upwards of $350. Not sure if it's worth it. 

25 minutes ago, Inconspicuous said:

Related topic: any good chair suggestions? I've been looking at some gaming chairs but they're like upwards of $350. Not sure if it's worth it. 

No suggestions but wanted to emphasize how important a good chair is! Much more important than the desk IMO. Law school has absolutely destroyed my back and I'm 90% sure it was because I used a crappy cheap chair. Get something with proper lower back support people!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, healthlaw said:

No suggestions but wanted to emphasize how important a good chair is! Much more important than the desk IMO. Law school has absolutely destroyed my back and I'm 90% sure it was because I used a crappy cheap chair. Get something with proper lower back support people!

100% agree. I recently had to buy a posture correcting back brace because I am constantly hunched over now (because of poor seating) ... ugh. school. 

Don't buy a gaming chair. If you want to dish out on a chair, buy a high-quality office chair. They're designed to be sold to office suppliers, who know a bit more about ergonomics than 'gamers.'

In general, never buy "gaming" anything. It's cheap, flashy garbage for suckers. You are almost always better served by getting a non-'gamer' product of equal price.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Inconspicuous said:

Check Costco! I picked up a leather high-back office chair when I started undergrad for $200. Have used it every day since and it looks and feels (nearly) the same as when I bought it. 

• Like 1