My parents have offered to buy me one. I realize that I will likely need a desk with significant depth so I can spread out a bit.

Do any of you love your desks and/or have suggestions as to where I can get mine?

I found drawer space came in really handy, especially since you're probably not living in a massive place with a lot of storage during school. Whatever you get, make sure it has at least drawers on both sides of it, and ideally a mix of different size drawers (I.e one deep one at least for taller things).

• Like 1

Thanks. That makes sense. I've been seeing some desks with hutches but I don't want them to encroach on the table top. I'm lucky in that I have quite a bit of space in my study area- I can likely fit in an L-shaped desk if need be? But that may be excessive.

L desk is the way to go if you can fit it. That way you have an area for your computer and an area to spread out books and papers.

• Like 3

Absolutely get an L shape if you have the space. I'm always running out of space on my desk, and it's not a small one. Remember printers, staplers, hole punchers, etc etc.

Something spacious for books and physical papers and binders. I recommend a textbook stand that holds pages open, it'll literally save your neck.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, pzabbythesecond said:

Absolutely get an L shape if you have the space. I'm always running out of space on my desk, and it's not a small one. Remember printers, staplers, hole punchers, etc etc.

Why the hell do you have multiples of all of those? You running a small business or something? :P 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Why the hell do you have multiples of all of those? You running a small business or something? :P 

Always hustling brother ;)

Okay I'm starting to think I should get a separate shelf instead of built-in shelves/drawers on the desk.

Get one with lots of room underneath, where you can pile up discarded papers and practice sleeping under a desk - it'll get you used to life as an articling student.  

• Like 7

53 minutes ago, maximumbob said:

Get one with lots of room underneath, where you can pile up discarded papers and practice sleeping under a desk - it'll get you used to life as an articling student.  

Yes.

And put it in a tiny little corner with no sunlight. Plus points if it comes with handcuffs.

I cannot emphasize enough how important it will be to buy a comfortable chair for your desk since you'll be sitting at it so much. I was an idiot and prioritized beauty over functionality and ended up with a gorgeous looking desk and chair that I never used because they were so uncomfortable. When not in the library, I spent 3 years studying on the couch or in bed and probably ruined my posture in the process. Ikea is great for inexpensive desks and there's always stuff for sale on kijiji / craigslist. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

This is the desk I bought and it was almost perfect. The top was big enough for both my laptop and tablet plus whatever text I was currently reading. Drawers were reasonable. Only thing I'd prefer would have been drawers on the left instead of the cubby with shelf.

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/50282144/#/60245721

Edited by MissJE

I second everyone who suggested an L-desk. One long table-top for papers and one smaller one for a computer. Also look for deeper desks, so that you can stack 3 or 4 papers horizontally if possible.

On the other hand I study on my kitchen table and at the library. Don't overthink it too much OP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PolskiCanuck said:

I second everyone who suggested an L-desk. One long table-top for papers and one smaller one for a computer. Also look for deeper desks, so that you can stack 3 or 4 papers horizontally if possible.

On the other hand I study on my kitchen table and at the library. Don't overthink it too much OP.

Yeah I bought a big ass desk for my room in undergrad and I used it a handful of times. Always did my studying at the library or on the couch.

They aren't beautiful like real wood or anything, but Staples has a nice selection of customizable commercial office desk sets that are very well made, durable and very functional re: storage. I went with an L-shaped desk with additional desk and storage behind me, making it C-shaped.  It felt like being in the cockpit of a junk & random paperwork fighter jet.

I have a Sauder desk at home which is functional enough, but was a total headache to put together.  

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone. I'll likely get an L-shaped desk, will check out Staples next week.

I have an "executive" desk, which is a (relatively) huge desk. In fact, I think it's similar to this one from Staples (though I got it on sale for about half that price). It gives you tons of space (enough for my three monitors) and room besides. If you have the ability to put it somewhere, it's remarkable how helpful it is to have something so large.

Be warned, though, that it's really heavy and has to be taken apart to move, because it won't fit through any doorway I know of.