Phokis

Ubc vs u of a

22 hours ago, Mal said:

Being broke in Vancouver is worse than being broke in Edmonton. Being upper middle class in Vancouver is a lot better than anything in Edmonton.

Why would it be better to be broke in a frozen, barren wasteland? I 

• Haha 2

On 7/21/2018 at 3:32 PM, StudentLife said:

Stay in BC. Edmonton is in northern Alberta which means it’s isolated, with scorching hot summers, bone chilling winters, and not much to do beyound the few summer months (a few repetitive tired summer festivals every year). And you better like country stuff and big trucks. The roads also suck due to the freeze thaw cycles and you have to drive almost everywhere. Construction is terrible due to road repairs and roads within the city are circa 1950s/60s and poorly designed.

Vancouver on the other hand is one of the most cosmopolitan cities to live as far as food, amenities, environment, climate, and entertainment in the world. World class city for sure. Very diverse population. Only downside is that real estate is expensive but then it’s still cheaper than Toronto or New York outside the main city core area.

I wouldn’t even bother comparing schools because the location is more important. But if you must compare schools, UBC is superior to U of C or U of A. And location wise there is no comparison.

I’m just going to say this is in a vulgar but true manner. Compared to Vancouver, the lifestyle in Edmonton is like living in a shithole. Unless you’re married and have 3 kids and just bought a house. Maybe not as much while in school but you might be stuck after you move due to the job market. You’ll also feel like in a small town where everyone already knows or is friends (and/or relatives) with everyone else so forget about meeting “new people”.

Cost wise, money won’t matter when you’re outside waiting for the bus/LRT at -40 C (with wind chill) in the dark and realize that the next bus/LRT is delayed for another 20-30 min. And then you will be freezing and late to wherever you’re going.

If you’re a girl and single, Edmonton is good though since lots of guys come to Edmonton for work like trades and more so blue collar stuff. Lots of guys with tattoos, beards, and big trucks around town. And country guys. Not to mention the 4 large penitentiaries/jails surrounding Edmonton. If you’re into bad boys, it’s a great dating scene. Plenty of Fish aspiring serial killer and filmmaker Mark Twitchell: from Edmonton born and raised. Tried and sentenced. Great lively "Arts" scene. The Art Galley is very small and extremely underwhelming. The only large regular museum has still to actually open. The tiny Edmonton Zoo made the international news numerous times due to animal welfare issues (Where is Lucy?). We also house the criminally insane by the picturesque river valley in the middle of the city who sometimes escape from the Alberta Hospital. 

There are industrial air pollution issues from the refineries and chemical plants all around Edmonton so that’s also something to consider. You only hear about it when sometimes workers have to go to the hospital due to hydrogen sulfide exposures since those are reportable incidents. But you can smell the sulfur or other chemical smells lots of times when windy. And I don’t mean smog; I mean the type of emissions that gives northern Alberta and Edmonton refinery row area the highest rates of asthma in the country. The air is also very dry all the time; especially in the winter. Your skin will get wrecked. Very high UV values when sunny. Add the reflective snow 8 months of the year and it's even worse.

The people who cheer Edmonton are generally people who lived in Edmonton most of their lives, and/or have all their family and friends in Edmonton. Most everyone else already left town after university ha ha. 1 or 2 full years in Edmonton and you will have seen, experienced, and done everything that there is to do.

Downtown Edmonton on a weekday after 6 PM is basically homeless panhandling Gotham city. And on weekends you just see the 18-19 year old college party kids lining up outside a few sketchy country bars. Most of which get shut down after several months and rebranded due to gang violence and shootings. Used to be murder capital of Canada a few years ago but it’s trying to get the top spot again.

If you feel trapped in Vancouver sounds like you are spoiled and not doing anything to put yourself out there to proactively seek out new activities and/or people. At least you can go for a hike on the west coast in the winter months in the rainforest or by the beach.

When people say they enjoy "walks on the beach" in Edmonton on Tinder profiles they mean Alberta Beach. I''ll let you Google that one.

GO TO THE CITY/PROVINCE WHERE YOU WANT TO LIVE FOR THE NEXT 5 or more YEARS. That’s how you should decide.

Vancouver>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Calgary>>>Edmonton

Toronto is too expensive, including tuition, and the job market sucks there. Same with New York.

Obviously the aim of this post is humor and there are seeds of truth speckled throughout (although greatly exaggerated), however, I hope the OP avoids giving it too much credence and actually visits Edmonton before making their decision. I don't think it's a question of which is a "better" city as a whole but which law school experience  you would prefer.  Realistically, your law school experience will be confined to the university area, bars nearby, classmates' apartments and, shockingly, a lot of time in class/library. Unless your the type of person who makes a big effort to branch out, your law school experience will be largely confined to this fish bowl and I think the question here is which fishbowl you would prefer to live in for three years - UofA or UBC. I've heard really good things about both law school environments - both situated in cool areas of the city - from people that I've met through work . 

It sounds like your a bit in flux on where you would like to article/work after law school. Both schools will give you a decent amount of mobility if you put in the legwork and I don't think going to either school will marry you to the city for "5 or more" years as the above poster suggests. Based on the details you provided in your original post, I think its fair to say that UBC will give you a slightly better edge/network for Toronto and UofA will give you a much better edge/network if you want to end up in Calgary. Obviously if you want to wind up in Vancouver then UBC is the call and vice versa with UofA and Edmonton. As someone alluded to above, being upper middle class in Vancouver is better than anything in Edmonton. This is probably true, however, it should be noted that lawyers in Vancouver will not reach the "upper middle" strata until they are well established practitioners (it is no small feat to reach upper middle in Vancouver, which I'm sure your aware of). In Edmonton, I would imagine that lawyers are upper middle within a few years of graduating. 

• Like 1

I won't comment on UBC vs UofA as I didn't go to either and couldn't tell you which school gives you best chance at whatever city.  There's been a lot of comments about Edmonton as a place to live though so thought I'd chime in on that point.

I've lived in several Canadian cities over my life but spent most of my years in either Vancouver or Toronto, before settling down in Edmonton.  I grew up in Vancouver and my whole family still lives there so I love going back to visit.  If the cost of living wasn't what it was, I would consider moving back to Vancouver. 

With that said, I actually love living in Edmonton.  I came here with no support systems, didn't know anyone but now I don't know if I'd ever want to leave.  Yes, the winters absolutely suck as others have already said, but I don't find them to be considerably worse than Toronto or Ottawa.  There's also something to be said for it being bright and sunny even on cold winter days which I absolutely love and I'd struggle to go back to the regular dark and gloomy Vancouver days.  The flip side of course is that people in Vancouver bitch when it hits 0 degrees in the winter and claim it's super cold so it's nice that you can do outdoor activities all year there.  Not so much when it's -35 with windchill like you'll often get in Edmonton.

At the end of the day, Edmonton is still a big city and has all of the amenities you'd find in a big city.  For me, the biggest factor is honestly cost of living and that's huge.  I like the fact that even with a single income and only a few years removed from school I can buy a house.  I would have no choice but to rent or live with family if I lived in Vancouver and neither option appeals to me much.  In terms of the day-to-day stuff, it's also nice not having PST and gas is significantly cheaper here too which is pretty awesome. 

• Like 5