Sign in to follow this  
Phokis

Apartment hunting

Hey everyone!

I'm planning on making a trip to Edmonton to look for apartments/sign a lease. How long should I plan to stay? Is it pretty normal to be able to view an apartment and sign a lease the same or next day?

Would I be better off coming at the end of July or early August if I wanted to move in two weeks before classes?

Lastly, the general vibe I get from previous threads is Whyte is the place to live. What about grandin or Oliver? The units I see there seem to be more modern and a better deal.

Thanks!

Whyte or Oliver or Grandin are all great places to live.  Whyte is often walking distance to the University (saving the monthly cost of a transit pass) but Oliver and Grandin still have easy transportation to the university.  Whyte has a very artistic liberal personality and Oliver and Grandin are more moderate but in no way backwards.

As a landlord myself, I would say it is possible to view a place and sign a lease the same day but you may be limiting yourself to the landlords that just happen to have free time that day (which is fine) and the landlords that are desperate (not so fine).  Be wary of any landlord that doesn't bother to take the time to check your references.

The rental market is fairly balanced in Edmonton at the moment - landlords aren't desperate and renters aren't desperate either.

I would say the sooner you come to Edmonton, the better.  At the last minute you're more likely to get the apartments that are less value for the price, but you can get lucky sometimes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Waterfall2021 said:

saving the monthly cost of a transit pass

Transit passes are included in tuition at the UofA; they're a little sticker that you get put onto your student ID at an InfoLink booth just before or doing the first week or so of the semester and are valid for the duration of the semester.

13 hours ago, Waterfall2021 said:

As a landlord myself, I would say it is possible to view a place and sign a lease the same day but you may be limiting yourself to the landlords that just happen to have free time that day (which is fine) and the landlords that are desperate (not so fine).  Be wary of any landlord that doesn't bother to take the time to check your references.

Thanks for the input! I'd be looking up places and setting up appointments before arriving, if that makes a difference.

13 hours ago, Waterfall2021 said:

would say the sooner you come to Edmonton, the better.  At the last minute you're more likely to get the apartments that are less value for the price, but you can get lucky sometimes.

I was planning to move at the end of August regardless, but would coming at the end of July generally be a better idea to look at places then?

To get the best deal, I would come to sign a lease as soon as is practical .  There will be slim picking by the end of August.  Setting up appointments ahead of time would definitely make the process faster when you're here.

Oliver and Grandin area can be sketchy at night.

If you plan on going out a lot get a place on Whyte or Campus.  If you plan on staying in mostly, Oliver and Grandin are fine.  Commute from Oliver will be slightly longer.

Hey!

I was recently in Edmonton (I’m from Vancouver) to look for an apartment. I stayed for the weekend, scheduled most of my apartment tours for Saturday and two for Sunday as some landlords were not available on Saturday. I had six tours total. I ended up paying the deposit for my apartment at the end of the tour and had the lease agreement emailed to me to complete and return. I would schedule tours immediately, though, as a lot of the best places are already full or almost full.

I ended up picking a place on Whyte that is within walking distance to school. 

Hope this helps-good luck with your apartment hunting :)