aaronl

Mission vs Kensington (Where to live)

Can someone please comment on the differences between living in Kensington and living in Mission. I was told those are two great areas to live for law students. I also will have my own vehicle so transit is not an issue. Just want a lively place that's a good area for students. Any comments and tips on the differences between Mission and Kensington would be greatly appreciated! Specific apartment buildings too!

Don't go to U of C, but born and raised in Calgary, so I can comment to some extent.

They're fairly comparable areas in terms of price. Both are fairly "trendy" areas with a lot of amenities.

Kensginton however is on the North side of the city, so you won't have to traverse downtown to get to the university--granted, this is isn't a huge deal outside of rush hour. That said, the Sunnyside train station (in Kensington) is three stops away from the U of C. I know you said transportation isn't a problem--which is important in a sprawling city like Calgary--but if you don't have to drive every day to and from school, you'll save a good chunk of cash on parking and gas.

I can't speak to individual buildings, unfortunately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, piscerainfada said:

Don't go to U of C, but born and raised in Calgary, so I can comment to some extent.

They're fairly comparable areas in terms of price. Both are fairly "trendy" areas with a lot of amenities.

Kensginton however is on the North side of the city, so you won't have to traverse downtown to get to the university--granted, this is isn't a huge deal outside of rush hour. That said, the Sunnyside train station (in Kensington) is three stops away from the U of C. I know you said transportation isn't a problem--which is important in a sprawling city like Calgary--but if you don't have to drive every day to and from school, you'll save a good chunk of cash on parking and gas.

I can't speak to individual buildings, unfortunately.

I've lived in Calgary for several years and will be entering 1L at Calgary in the fall. My feelings are pretty consistent with piscerainfada's.

Ultimately, both areas are very similar, and both would be great choices to live. In the end, however, I still think Kensington would be the better choice. It's just on the north side of the Bow River, across from downtown. It's the same distance, if not closer, to the downtown core for work/articles/etc., but it's in a significantly more convenient proximity to the University. 

• Thanks 1

I don't understand college age kids and their fixation with trendy neighbourhoods. Live somewhere cheap and go to the trendy areas to spend your money on the 1 or 2 nights per week that you go out. The premium you spend on rent in those areas far exceeds the benefit of being able to stumble home from those same places.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Hey! I've lived in Mission and loved it, but Kensington is definitely the most convenient for getting to school. It is also really vibrant with lots of other students living there, shops, restaurants, etc. Mission is great, but not being by the train makes it more difficult to get to school. I live in Marda Loop and love it -- given that the 20 goes directly to the school I would say it's even more convenient than Mission. But you can't beat Kensington for convenience.

Mission is closer to 17th ave which is where there's a lot of bar patios and nightlife, so that is a benefit. I found living there for a few years, I got to know a lot of the regulars that were also in their 30s and it had a real community feel. That said, I am sure Kensington has a similar community spirit.

I'll also add that both have really lovely parks and access to the river so are great for long walks when you need study breaks -- it's not all about the nightlife! Quality of life is so affected by the area you live in, so you're right to try to pick out the right area for you :) Also the Safeway is better in Kensington if that matters to you :)

Edited by AuriandFoxen
Wanted to add something
  • Thanks 1

If you live in mission I would be incredibly cautious about where specifically you locate, I would stay out of the area that is between Macleod trail (ie. Victoria Park/Stampede Grounds C-Train stop) and 2nd Street SW - that 4-5 block stretch is essentially Vancouver's east hastings and can be quite difficult to live in and navigate while feeling safe at times and I think compounded with the general stress of your first year of law school it could be quite detrimental to your mental health

Forgetting the humble beltline. Im right by the midtown coop on 10th ave and it's been a pretty good experience. Living in-between 17th ave and Kensington means both are within walking distance. There's a bunch of new restaurants that have opened up right beside me and it doesn't completely die after 6pm like most of downtown. It's also in the Korea town section of the city, so arirang (Asian grocery store) and a few other Korean shops are nearby. The train is a short (8 minute) walk away and you are in the free fair zone for any downtown shopping at the core. 

It works great for me since I don't have a car and enjoy having everything close. You can't beat a grocery store in your parking lot. 

Just another place to check out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, G1donut said:

Forgetting the humble beltline. Im right by the midtown coop on 10th ave and it's been a pretty good experience. Living in-between 17th ave and Kensington means both are within walking distance. There's a bunch of new restaurants that have opened up right beside me and it doesn't completely die after 6pm like most of downtown. It's also in the Korea town section of the city, so arirang (Asian grocery store) and a few other Korean shops are nearby. The train is a short (8 minute) walk away and you are in the free fair zone for any downtown shopping at the core. 

It works great for me since I don't have a car and enjoy having everything close. You can't beat a grocery store in your parking lot. 

Just another place to check out.

Thanks, I think I am leaning towards Beltline, found a nice place!