Sign in to follow this  
tjbiz

Osgoode Essay

Hi everyone,

I'm planning on applying to Osgoode this year or next year, but would like to get a head start on the essays.

Any insight for PART A and PART B?

Should I go with something narrative-like or just simply state what I've done (or aspire to do) and how it relates to studying Law.

Is the Why Osgoode factor a heavy component?

Anything helps.

Thank you!

3 hours ago, tjbiz said:

Hi everyone,

I'm planning on applying to Osgoode this year or next year, but would like to get a head start on the essays.

Should I go with something narrative-like or just simply state what I've done (or aspire to do) and how it relates to studying Law.

Anything helps.

Thank you!

I was accepted in December with okay stats, so I think they must have liked my essays/ecs. I didn't really write it in a compelling or artistic way. I simply stated why I'd be a good fit for law school, why I wanted to do law, some of my accomplishments that I'm most proud of and how that would translate to me being a successful law student/lawyer, etc. 

1 hour ago, tjbiz said:

Hi everyone,

Anything helps.

Thank you!

If your numbers are good there's no reason to fill in part B so don't feel pressured to respond to that section. As for "why Osgoode", it's also a completely unnecessary strategy. I wrote the same essay for all my schools and just switched out the names at the end of each paragraph. It was literally something like, going to UBC/Osgoode/Queens etc would be a wonderful opportunity blah blah blah. The essay itself was basically about how my undergraduate experiences had prepared me for law school and a legal career.  Just make sure your personal statement isn't a prose version of your resume. You have to talk about past achievements but do so in a way that tells a story of intellectual growth.

• Like 1

I think that the way that Osgoode structured their personal statement made it much more difficult to do a narrative response than other Ontario schools. They have two separate questions (something like why do you want to go to law school + name any relevant extracurricular/achievements). I found that the way they split the personal statement into two questions (with very small character counts) makes it difficult to develop/maintain a narrative. 

• Like 2

Thank you all. I'll get to work!

Edited by tjbiz