hermionegranger

2019/2020 Toronto Articling Recruit (ITC Emails for Interviews)

16 hours ago, barelylegal said:

Dinners and receptions are different. Two dinners, no. Two receptions, yes.

You can generally attend two, possibly even three, receptions in one evening. It's fine to not stay for the whole reception, just stay long enough to make your impression - don't run in and out in 15 minutes, you want to meet people, ensure you're memorable to enough people. I generally think you need 45 minutes to an hour minimum per reception, but you don't have to stay for the entire time. You do have to show up, though - an outright non-attendance will often be taken as a substantial lack of interest.

16 hours ago, healthlaw said:

It's possible to attend a reception of one firm and dinner with another firm if time permits. I doubt you would be able to do two dinners since dinners are generally longer and don't give you the ability to sneak away unnoticed the way that receptions do.

If you haven't already confirmed attendance to both dinners, perhaps try offering one of the firms a lunch for the following day? (Saying something to the effect of: I'm super interested in you but I already have another commitment on Monday at 6 pm. Would it be possible to schedule a lunch for Tuesday instead?) - I did this during recruit and it didnt hurt my offer - but there is always a risk that it does signal that a firm is lower priority if you're asking to reschedule a dinner.

Not attending a reception can signal a lack of interest. I know of at least 3 firms that take note of which students don't attend (based on name tags). For this reason, I would try to make at least a brief appearance.

Ah, okay thank you for these answers.

So arriving late to a reception is not that big of a deal as long as you make some face time whereas a dinner is pretty much obligatory to stay the entire time. 

• Like 1

I had a firm say they will send me an email confirmation for my interview but didn't sent one. Should I call them?

Also, what is the protocol for reaching out to lawyers at firms where you will interview? Should you only reach out to those who are going to interview you or others? What do you say?

I am so lost

On 7/22/2018 at 12:16 AM, hermionegranger said:

Yes, got an interview but they did not say who I’ll be interviewed by.

Do you know if they will send a follow up email with further details?

18 hours ago, granolabar said:

I had a firm say they will send me an email confirmation for my interview but didn't sent one. Should I call them?

Also, what is the protocol for reaching out to lawyers at firms where you will interview? Should you only reach out to those who are going to interview you or others? What do you say?

I am so lost

I got confirmations from all firms except two of them.

A couple firms only sent me confirmations yesterday afternoon.

I would wait until the end of the week before contacting...some firms just may be slower at sending the confirmation emails.

Edited by Lawstudent3210

21 hours ago, granolabar said:

I am so lost

Don't reach out to lawyers who will be interviewing you, or lawyers who will be interviewing generally (if you happen to know who they are). There's risk of it seeming like some kind of preliminary or informal interview, which could offend the Law Society's recruitment rules.

If you don't already know someone at the firm or have some other existing hookup, your best bet is usually to reach out to the student coordinator or person in charge of recruitment, say you'd love to talk to someone at the firm to ask some questions and learn more about the firm/program, and ask who would be appropriate for you to connect with.

• Like 2

On 7/20/2018 at 8:37 AM, bloopscoop said:

For those that got a call from Torys, did they ask if you could attend their breakfast on Wednesday? 

Hey, yeah I was asked to attend their breakfast. Do you know if this is standard or are we special haha? 

Does anyone know if boutique firms generally only have 1 or 2 interviews and not 3 during the interview week? Obviously it would differ firm by firm but am generally wondering.

11 hours ago, LawYear said:

Does anyone know if boutique firms generally only have 1 or 2 interviews and not 3 during the interview week? Obviously it would differ firm by firm but am generally wondering.

I believe that it's more common to have 1 or 2. If you are unsure, I would reach out to the firms articling student and see how many interviews they had. 

When we receive articling offers on August 15th, how long can we sit on an offer before we have to accept?

1 hour ago, angel133 said:

When we receive articling offers on August 15th, how long can we sit on an offer before we have to accept?

http://www.lsuc.on.ca/licensingprocess.aspx?id=2147497188#C - "All offers made at or after 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, August 15, 2018 shall be allowed to remain open until at least 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, August 16, 2018."

By the rules, you can sit on an offer until 5pm the next day. However, general etiquette is to respond reasonably quickly - if you wait, you're messing with someone else who might get the spot otherwise, and waiting too long and rejecting can mean the firm misses out on a lot of their next-ranked candidates.

No firm-candidate communication is permitted between 3pm and 5pm on the Wednesday. You should use that time to rank your choices, so you're prepared to respond as needed.

• Like 1

Heard that some people are interviewing at Gowlings tomorrow. Anyone hear what’s up?

p.s good luck everyone!!!!

gowlings and mcmillan are both in this recruit on a small scale. nothing special to report.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lawstudent212 said:

Has anyone received a call from Clyde & Co. for a second interview yet? 

Theyre still interviewing on tuesday. They are also emailing it, not calling

• Like 1

was offered a second interview at the immediate conclusion of my first clyde and co interview.

• Like 1

Anyone interview with Teplitsky Colson and get invited for a second interview/ reception?