Sign in to follow this  
ES1

USask vs Dalhousie vs TRU

I think there's a compelling case to be made for UofS here. Much cheaper tuition, comparable cost of living, vibrant university town and more established reputation in Western Canada (compared to TRU).

Dalhousie is a very established product and has great connections with the western markets of Vancouver and Calgary (anecdotally).  That being said, Dal would probably end up being slightly more expensive than TRU and definitely more expensive than UofS when you take in account the flights to/from Vancouver and  might take a little more legwork on the networking front (although it is debatable how relevant this is if your goal is biglaw). If you are also open to eastern markets in Ontario/Maritimes, Dal could be the right fit here. 

It's difficult to quantify the bias against TRU students but, rest assured, there are plenty of old-school partners at firms who will have misguided opinions about you as a TRU grad. Whether these older partners have pull in the recruitment process probably depends from firm-to-firm but, from my experience, it's usually older associates/younger partners who make these recruitment decisions and will likely have a more open mind. From what I understand, TRU does pretty well in Vancouver hiring but we haven't seen the first class of TRU students go through the entire career cycle (ie. articling, associate, partnership/judges) yet so it's probably premature to make a fulsome conclusion about whether or not this "bias" has a tangible impact. 

Ultimately, I don't think you can go wrong with any of these schools in terms of quality of education.

Good luck with your decision. 

I would seriously doubt that the prestige or assumed bias against the Canadian law school one attended would impact partnership or judgeship decisions in the future. So the "full-cycle" analysis here is insignificant for determining anything. IMO it is far more practical to study law in location that suits the personal needs of the applicant. Lots of BC applicants seem to have left the province for study because the two law schools available in the province are far from being considered holistic; they don't even look at references. The greatest benefit from going to a more established school is the network that will endorse you in the early years when you begin to establish yourself. Afterward, it comes down to personal competencies.

• Like 1

I should clarify my point. To be clear - where you went to school will never offset an inferior work product in the professional world and will certainly not explicitly come up in any partnership decisions. The value derived from coming from an established school is much more subtle. There is a certain level of goodwill/trust associated with coming from a program that senior lawyers and partners are familiar with (particularly if that partner went to that school). The extent that this plays much of a role in work allocation/opportunities is likely very difficult to substantiate. I don't believe it's much of a factor except maybe in your early days as an articling student. Any goodwill that you may have will quickly erode if you produce  a subpar work product (and vice versa). 

My point is that, based on what I have seen and read, there does not appear to be a quantifiable bias against TRU students in terms of recruitment/articling positions, however, this bias may manifest itself in subtle ways when in the thick of practice. We will probably have a clearer idea in the next couple years when the first batch of TRU grads are up for partnership against  the rest of the field. 

• Like 1

On 7/10/2018 at 5:39 AM, Bure10 said:

Those are all pretty much false.

The landscape isnt brown and ugly.  Tons of mountains and water.

Never noticed a smell in three years, not even sure where the mill is to be honest.

Plenty to do in the downtown and I can personally confirm more than two bars.

Quoting an opinion piece from a defunct news paper (I believe) to support this proposition is tenuous at best.  Never noticed an attitude.

False.

The winter is not freezing cold and the summer is perfect.

I havent been to the East Coast so cant compare but yeah our experiences in Kamloops were obviously different so I guess its a matter of perspective.

Can't agree with you more Bure10!!

The landscape of Kamloops has it's own beauty.  I'm an avid mountain biker and have rode my mountain bike at Sun Peaks and the surrounding areas on more than one occasion - complete blast!  If you're into running, there are plenty of great trails for running as well.  As far as the bars are concerned, like Bure, I too can confirm the town has more than two of them (and had a great time every time they were needed to release stress). Finally, the people of Kamloops are incredibly friendly.

When it comes to the law school, the quality of education you will be receiving is exceptional.  You can review stats all you want but in reality, you can gauge the quality of your education by how easily you adapt to your new career - how ready for it are you?  I found TRU ensured you were ready.  It may be easier to study in the province you want to practice in (you learn the laws of that particular province and therefore it's one less thing to think about - something you will be grateful for) but I don't think it's a do or die type of thing.  

Finally, the students and faculty of TRU were amazing when I went there and it seems from what I've heard, that hasn't changed.  

OK, so I've gone from promoting Kamloops to promoting TRU but whatever!!! 

Good luck to everyone and regardless of where you go, enjoy your law school experience.  

Hope things are going well for you Bure10! :)

Edited by c_hepting
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am someone who wants to go to TRU and with my current stats its kind of my only option. However, I spoke to a lawyer a couple weeks ago who works in a reputable firm downtown Vancouver and he didn't even know about TRU which was quite the surprise. I assume he's just not up to date with everything. He told me they only hire UBC grads and they only hire 1 article student per year and that is the way it is for most firms downtown. They get way too many applications per year and for them the easiest thing to do is just pick UBC grads. He said they would like to hire more from UVIC but the problem is that many UVIC students enroll in the co-op program during the summer and a lot of firms like to hire article students in the summer time thereby making them unavailable during the hiring process. I know, it sucks and was definitely not something I wanted to hear but it is what it is. 

Edited by Joen
missed something
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Joen said:

I am someone who wants to go to TRU and with my current stats its kind of my only option. However, I spoke to a lawyer a couple weeks ago who works in a reputable firm downtown Vancouver and he didn't even know about TRU which was quite the surprise. I assume he's just not up to date with everything. He told me they only hire UBC grads and they only hire 1 article student per year and that is the way it is for most firms downtown. They get way too many applications per year and for them the easiest thing to do is just pick UBC grads. He said they would like to hire more from UVIC but the problem is that many UVIC students enroll in the co-op program during the summer and a lot of firms like to hire article students in the summer time thereby making them unavailable during the hiring process. I know, it sucks and was definitely not something I wanted to hear but it is what it is. 

Considering TRU has been around for 7 years already, I think this anecdote tells me a lot more about that particular lawyer/firm than about TRU. There are plenty of TRU grads working in top firms in downtown Vancouver. The alumni map has only recently gone live as they work on getting more info from grads, so keep in mind that the sample size is currently a very small portion of TRU grads, but based on the current percentages (and my own personal knowledge of where students have gone), Vancouver is one of the two most common cities for TRU grads to article in.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2018 at 2:38 PM, Joen said:

That lawyer must be living under a rock. My sister (UBC Law alum) works at the BC Supreme Court in downtown Vancouver. Everybody knows TRU and TRU Alum have established a great reputation. 

Also, having done firm tours at 19 of the largest firms in Vancouver in May - no major firms exclusively hire from UBC. Last year 15 TRU Law students got summer positions downtown.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, canuckfanatic said:

Everybody knows TRU and TRU Alum have established a great reputation. 

I mean, we only have three law schools in BC. 😝

TRU's first waves of graduates have done well though, that is true. 

The biggest issue with going to TRU is that some people don't know the difference between TWU and TRU and just assume you're a bible thumper.  True story.

I would recommend people get used to saying they went to Thompson Rivers instead of “TRU” if that’s a concern. 

• Like 1

Just wanted to pile on to the "Kamloops isn't a complete shithole" comments. I worked in the bush around Kamloops for a number of years.  It's not a bad little town, lots of fun things to do around the 'Loops and you can't smell the pulp mill (and I'm sensitive - the pulp mill stench in Prince George gave me nosebleeds). 

I would suggest getting a car or truck if you can though.  You can bus places but can't get out to the great outdoors without one.

I've never been to Halifax so I can't compare the two. 

Edited by kurrika
  • Like 1