Sign in to follow this  
ES1

USask vs Dalhousie vs TRU

I'm leaning heavily towards TRU right now. Quality of life wise, I really like the idea of living in a place like Kamloops and its in close proximity to family and friends.

Are there any reasons I should reconsider ? I've been hearing some things from a few people about how TRU is looked at and the difficulty grads apparently have getting into top-tier Vancouver firms. 

What are the implications of your choice of school on career trajectory, articling placement etc ? 

I'd go to Sask or Dal because they are more established schools. I went to Dal and really liked it. I feel like there were a lot of students from Van/BC when I was there, and they all seemed to land jobs.

If you are planning in practicing in BC, go to TRU.  I'm currently a student there and the school has done an amazing job in a short period of time setting up connections with big Vancouver law firms. If what I have been told by various professors here is true we have some of the best articling rates as well as a very high percentage of success with OCIs in Vancouver firms. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, conge said:

I'd go to Sask or Dal because they are more established schools. I went to Dal and really liked it. I feel like there were a lot of students from Van/BC when I was there, and they all seemed to land jobs.

Can you expand on the tangible benefits of "being more established." I get that TRU is newer, but what (if any) is the actual downside to that in terms of education, earnings, jobs etc? I had the initial reaction to "play it safe" and go to one of the older ones too, but I'm trying to be a bit more analytical than that now. 

23 minutes ago, lawstudent20202020 said:

If you are planning in practicing in BC, go to TRU.  I'm currently a student there and the school has done an amazing job in a short period of time setting up connections with big Vancouver law firms. If what I have been told by various professors here is true we have some of the best articling rates as well as a very high percentage of success with OCIs in Vancouver firms. 

Cool, thanks. Yeah I read on their website that the articling placement rate is very high as well. Do you know what kind of placements these are though? ie. Is it mostly smaller firms in interior BC or are larger city firms hiring grads as well?

14 minutes ago, ES1 said:

Cool, thanks. Yeah I read on their website that the articling placement rate is very high as well. Do you know what kind of placements these are though? ie. Is it mostly smaller firms in interior BC or are larger city firms hiring grads as well?

The school is focusing mostly on big law firms in Vancouver and Toronto.

I'm curious to see these stats on tru and it's placement rates in big law in the lower mainland and especially in Toronto

12 hours ago, ES1 said:

I'm leaning heavily towards TRU right now. Quality of life wise, I really like the idea of living in a place like Kamloops and its in close proximity to family and friends.

Are there any reasons I should reconsider ? I've been hearing some things from a few people about how TRU is looked at and the difficulty grads apparently have getting into top-tier Vancouver firms. 

What are the implications of your choice of school on career trajectory, articling placement etc ? 

Go where your supports are - in the long run that is what will help or hinder your success. Listen to your gut, and the only opinions that might matter are those of the people who know you and care about you. Except for my advice here... 😄

20 hours ago, ES1 said:

Can you expand on the tangible benefits of "being more established." I get that TRU is newer, but what (if any) is the actual downside to that in terms of education, earnings, jobs etc? I had the initial reaction to "play it safe" and go to one of the older ones too, but I'm trying to be a bit more analytical than that now. 

I think you've hit it on the head; Dal, for example, has a long track record of producing lawyers that have had good employment outcomes across the country. I think the same could be said of Sask, at least with respect to the home province and out west. TRU doesn't (to the best of my knowledge) have that record yet. Though ppl are quoting positive employment stats at TRU, which is promising. Try to get a hold of those before making a decision.

Edited by conge

I lived in Kamloops for two years and, even though I’m from BC, I didn’t even apply at TRU.

The reputation of Dal aside (I don’t see TRU or Sask in the top 100 (https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2018/subject-ranking/law#!/page/0/length/25/sort_by/rank/sort_order/asc/cols/stats) Halifax destroys Kamloops and Saskatoon as far as places to live for three years. 

Tuition is higher but I would say well worth the premium. 

Email each school’s admissions department and ask them for their school’s NALP articling report. It will be a fairly comprehensives look at where students are articling. It won’t tell you firm size etc, but it will give you broad strokes about each school. Look at the info they give you critically, and it should really help you evaluate the options. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ACbubbles said:

I lived in Kamloops for two years and, even though I’m from BC, I didn’t even apply at TRU.

The reputation of Dal aside (I don’t see TRU or Sask in the top 100 (https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2018/subject-ranking/law#!/page/0/length/25/sort_by/rank/sort_order/asc/cols/stats) Halifax destroys Kamloops and Saskatoon as far as places to live for three years. 

Tuition is higher but I would say well worth the premium. 

Those rankings are not a good judge of Canadian law schools. Also if someone is planning on practicing in BC it's going to be hard networking with Vancouver firms from Halifax. Finally, Quality of city is super subjective, I know people that love Kamloops and consider Halifax to be a shit hole.

• Like 1

Kamloops has a lot of things that make it objectively a dump.

- The landscape is brown and ugly. (Google images of the city. It’s a hole)

- The pulp mill smell lingers over TRU campus (https://infotel.ca/newsitem/air-quality-what-living-close-to-big-industry-means-for-citizens/it39916). 

- The downtown is pretty much a ghost town short of one or two bars. (https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.3992612)

- The attitude is mostly blue-collar-conservative-Bible-Belt. (http://www.kamloopsnews.ca/opinion/letters/kamloops-has-a-blue-collar-ethos-1.1239162)

- Jacked-up pickup trucks are the vehicle of choice.

- It’s either freezing cold in the winter or a boiling hot dust bowl in the summer. 

I’m not saying Halifax is the greatest city in Canada, but for a student choosing between it and Kamloops I would say Dal has the reach to land you just about any job across the country (while TRU is still largely unknown) and you will likely enjoy the city of Halifax much more than Kamloops.

Now maybe for those who like living in cookie-cutter subdivisions with big garages to park their lifted F350’s and who do all their shopping at Walmart and Costco*, Kamloops is a gift from god. Praise be.

I’m just saying, for those of us who enjoy progressive, lively urban centres, Kamloops blows. And I didn’t even go to TRU. I lived in Kamloops for work. It was an easy job that paid really well but my gf (who did attend TRU) and I disliked the city so much we moved and never looked back. 

I only wish someone had sent me the above list before I made the mistake of moving there.

* I too enjoy Costco shopping

• Like 2

I chose uSask over TRU to be closer to family. The advice I received is to study where you want to practice. Proximity to family and tuition cost ultimately helped my wife and I make the decision, but it wasn’t an easy one. I’d say go to TRU if you want to practice in B.C. It will make networking much easier. 

• Like 3

I would go where you want to practice. None of these schools are ideal in terms of landing "top-tier" Vancouver firms - assuming you mean the big firms during the 2L recruit. So if you don't land a spot - and statistically your chances are relatively small - then TRU is the best for getting a job in the region. 

• Like 1

On 7/7/2018 at 12:30 AM, ES1 said:

It would take me too long right now to go through all the reasons I think you should seriously consider TRU, but please have a look through my content. I have posted extensively on this topic. 

As a side note, I know next to nothing about Sask or Dalhousie so my posts are not exactly a comparison, but I think they may be helpful to anyone considering TRU.

20 hours ago, ACbubbles said:

I’m just saying, for those of us who enjoy progressive, lively urban centres, Kamloops blows. 

I have family in Kamloops and always found it delightful. But I’m also a country boy at heart. I can’t think of anything less objective than where an individual would enjoy living. I lived in NYC for 9 months recently and hated it around 75% of the time. I lived in a tiny village in rural America for undergrad and only hated it around 50% of the time. YMMV, obviously.

Edited by MinesAndMinerals

22 hours ago, ACbubbles said:

- The pulp mill smell lingers over TRU campus (https://infotel.ca/newsitem/air-quality-what-living-close-to-big-industry-means-for-citizens/it39916). 

- The downtown is pretty much a ghost town short of one or two bars. (https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.3992612)

- The attitude is mostly blue-collar-conservative-Bible-Belt. (http://www.kamloopsnews.ca/opinion/letters/kamloops-has-a-blue-collar-ethos-1.1239162)

- It’s either freezing cold in the winter or a boiling hot dust bowl in the summer. 

I’m not saying Halifax is the greatest city in Canada, but for a student choosing between it and Kamloops I would say Dal has the reach to land you just about any job across the country (while TRU is still largely unknown) and you will likely enjoy the city of Halifax much more than Kamloops.

Now maybe for those who like living in cookie-cutter subdivisions with big garages to park their lifted F350’s and who do all their shopping at Walmart and Costco*, Kamloops is a gift from god. Praise be.

I’m just saying, for those of us who enjoy progressive, lively urban centres, Kamloops blows. And I didn’t even go to TRU. I lived in Kamloops for work. It was an easy job that paid really well but my gf (who did attend TRU) and I disliked the city so much we moved and never looked back. 

I only wish someone had sent me the above list before I made the mistake of moving there.

Having been born and raised in metro Vancouver, I actually find the landscape of Kamloops really nice and refreshing. As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It's close to Sun Peaks ski resort and has some decent hiking trails around the city.

The downtown area is also not as bad as you make it sound. There are some great restaurants: Hello Toast, Dorian Greek, Tiger Ramen, Jacob's Noodle & Cutlet. There are some great cafes too, like Reservoir and Be TEAsed.

I find the weather and dustiness to be my main gripe. Also if you like shopping, Kamloops is NOT the place for retail therapy.

The blue-collarness is virtually irrelevant if you're just there for school and plan on leaving after graduation.

When you're really missing lively urban centres it's easy enough to go to Kelowna or Vancouver for the weekend.

I agree though that going to Dalhousie won't limit your prospects much, I've met lots of Dalhousie students in Vancouver.

Edited by canuckfanatic

On 7/8/2018 at 7:37 PM, ACbubbles said:

* I too enjoy Costco shopping

Those are all pretty much false.

The landscape isnt brown and ugly.  Tons of mountains and water.

Never noticed a smell in three years, not even sure where the mill is to be honest.

Plenty to do in the downtown and I can personally confirm more than two bars.

Quoting an opinion piece from a defunct news paper (I believe) to support this proposition is tenuous at best.  Never noticed an attitude.

False.

The winter is not freezing cold and the summer is perfect.

I havent been to the East Coast so cant compare but yeah our experiences in Kamloops were obviously different so I guess its a matter of perspective.

• Like 3