Sign in to follow this  
janak88hh

Members of historically disadvantaged groups?

For those who don't mind sharing,

I was wondering if anyone wanted to share their membership in historically disadvantaged groups (described under "access" for many schools).

How did you guys go about explaining this topic/including it in your personal statement? 

I'm not sure what you are asking. Not everyone who belongs to a historically disadvantaged group applies "access."

If you are applying "access", then you need to explain the factors that have led you not to perform to your potential, and if they are connected to your background, you can say that (ie. English not a first language, trauma from a refugee experience, less access to education and services because of living on a reserve/in a disadvantaged neighbourhood, etc.)

However, I don't think the point is to tell a story and try to show you had the most hardship. You should also be showing you have the potential to do well in law school (good LSAT, grades got better when you addressed your issues etc) and how you want to use your legal education - if this is related to being historically disadvantaged because you want to help your community etc you can say that. Overall, I believe the statement should be positive and present you as a full person with interests, extracurriculars etc and not just as a member of X group who has suffered. 

• Like 4