Sign in to follow this  
Jibbums

Choosing a Test Date

I am currently deciding on when to take the LSAT, and am a bit torn on choices. Would it be better advised to take the September test and apply for this cycle at the cost of study time, or take a later one (November or a 2019 date) and aim for the following years cycle? For reference, my GPA definitely could be better (3.38 cGPA, 3.77 L2, definitely aiming for last/best 2 schools) and I'll be taking the year to complete my master's degree and volunteer

Edited by Jibbums
Minor typo

34 minutes ago, Jibbums said:

I am currently deciding on when to take the LSAT, and am a bit torn on choices. Would it be better advised to take the September test and apply for this cycle at the cost of study time, or take a later one (November or a 2019 date) and aim for the following years cycle? For reference, my GPA definitely could be better (3.38 cGPA, 3.77 L2, definitely aiming for last/best 2 schools) and I'll be taking the year to completey master's degree and volunteer

I think the latter would be better because it all helps your overall application. I think you also prefer applying in the following cycle based on what you wrote. The last thing you want to do is rush into the test with little to no preparation. Hope that helps! 

Edited by LivePumpkin

16 minutes ago, LivePumpkin said:

I think the latter would be better because it all helps your overall application (a better cGPA).

Would this help my cGPA? It was my understanding that very few schools consider graduate marks in the calculation. I am doing it largely due to my own interest in it, its value as a soft and the fact that it's fully funded :P

From what I know, graduate marks are not included in the calculation. Schools do look favourably upon doing very well in masters programs though. 

On 7/6/2018 at 3:33 PM, Jibbums said:

I am currently deciding on when to take the LSAT, and am a bit torn on choices. Would it be better advised to take the September test and apply for this cycle at the cost of study time, or take a later one (November or a 2019 date) and aim for the following years cycle? For reference, my GPA definitely could be better (3.38 cGPA, 3.77 L2, definitely aiming for last/best 2 schools) and I'll be taking the year to complete my master's degree and volunteer

You can take the november or feb test and still be accepted in the upcoming cycle. If you're not set on spending a year doing a masters (i.e. you don't think it will add substantial value to your law degree), you may as well apply to a couple L2 schools this cycle. 

On 2018-07-09 at 12:45 PM, abasilplant said:

You can take the november or feb test and still be accepted in the upcoming cycle. If you're not set on spending a year doing a masters (i.e. you don't think it will add substantial value to your law degree), you may as well apply to a couple L2 schools this cycle. 

Thank you for replying! I figured that I could finish my masters program and begin law next September, as the program ends in mid-August. That wouldn't cause any conflict as far as I know, would it?