9 hours ago, MootPointx said:

Hi Leo! Congratulations on getting into Osgoode. Hopefully I can help clarify some of this.

In 1st year, you take the following courses: Ethical Lawyering, Legal Process, Criminal Law, Torts, Contracts, State and Citizen, and Property Law + You get a perspective option (unless you take legal theory?).

The Fall is one week of Ethical Lawyering. Then you have all of Legal Process, State & Citizen, Torts, Criminal law, and Contracts. As you mentioned, Legal process and State & Cit are full-year courses. There was also a legal process tutorial last year, for one hour a week in both semesters but it appears that it has now been removed (thankfully...unless it just isn't on schedule yet).

Your Winter semester is different: Ethical Lawyering is a 2 week course. That schedule is posted around or during December. Then: You have State & Citizen, Property Law, Legal Process + Civil Procedure and your Prospective Option. On your schedule for the Winter, you will see that legal process appears twice. This is because legal process becomes Civil Procedure (which you will have with a different professor). Legal Process does continue with some assignments that tend to creep up on people in the background (held on Fridays).

Ignore the schedule York's website generates. It isn't always accurate. You will be assigned a section very soon if you haven't yet, and you take the courses which appear in your section schedule.

Hope this helps!

Thank you kindly for clearing that up. I'm hoping whatever Osgoode sends my way will clear things up further but I greatly appreciate you assisting. 

• Like 1

This is probably a bonehead question but on my sched (section D) there's contracts throughout the week and then contracts listed 3 times as "group 1, group 2, group 3". Safe to assume we only go to one of those yeah?

25 minutes ago, Inconspicuous said:

This is probably a bonehead question but on my sched (section D) there's contracts throughout the week and then contracts listed 3 times as "group 1, group 2, group 3". Safe to assume we only go to one of those yeah?

The email they sent today should say your section and which contracts small group you're in.

21 minutes ago, Parvati said:

The email they sent today should say your section and which contracts small group you're in.

Yup! Just checked now. 

I'd appreciate some information on the "small-groups". Why are we only assigned small-groups for only one of our courses rather than all of them?

Posted (edited)

I also wonder about the "small groups". I am in section B and my understanding of my timetable is that the same course (state & citizen) is not divided into small groups on Monday afternoons but is divided on Thursday afternoons. I am curious about how this is going to work. Since the course is instructed by the same person all the time, is he going to "replay" the lecture three times on Thursday? What is the point of assigning the small groups?

Edited by Mocha

5 hours ago, Mocha said:

I also wonder about the "small groups". I am in section B and my understanding of my timetable is that the same course (state & citizen) is not divided into small groups on Monday afternoons but is divided on Thursday afternoons. I am curious about how this is going to work. Since the course is instructed by the same person all the time, is he going to "replay" the lecture three times on Thursday? What is the point of assigning the small groups?

I'm not entirely sure either, but the sense that I get is a "small group" is basically a tutorial, whereas the state and citizen time slots on Monday and Thursday are lectures. 

Again, I'm not entirely sure but from some research I've done, I think that is the case! Someone correct me if I'm totally off here!

Also, I'm in section B too! :)

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, yolandi94 said:

I'm not entirely sure either, but the sense that I get is a "small group" is basically a tutorial, whereas the state and citizen time slots on Monday and Thursday are lectures. 

Again, I'm not entirely sure but from some research I've done, I think that is the case! Someone correct me if I'm totally off here!

Also, I'm in section B too! :)

I had the same understanding.

10 hours ago, NapoleonBonaparte said:

I'd appreciate some information on the "small-groups". Why are we only assigned small-groups for only one of our courses rather than all of them?

It’s up to the professor whether they want to do small groups or not. I had one for contracts in first year and it was basically a more in-depth exploration around the topics of that week. It allowed for a more seminar-style discussion than a lecture with 70 people would permit. 

Not every section will have a contracts small group; some sections will have a S&C small group instead. 

Anyway I wouldn’t worry too much about having one versus not having one. And I also wouldn’t worry about it being a repetition of what you get in lecture — it’s (quite usually) not. 

• Like 3

Everything Ryn said is true but to add: I had a Torts small group in first year. The Professor basically described small groups as a "way to get to know one of your Professors more so you leave 1L knowing one of them very well." It also expanded on some theories/differing perspectives behind the law you are studying in the larger class.

For my small group, we had a reading or two assigned a week which built on the topic that was being covered that week in the larger class. Some Professors may expect that you would have read many of the small groups readings come exam time as there may be a policy question that you could answer using the readings. This was the case for my Torts class.

I forget if attendance was recorded. It's a low-maintenance extra class to attend each week.

• Like 1