haka

UBC students: how much do you pay for rent?

How much do you pay for rent per month? Also do you share your room with roommates/what is the room:people ratio (ive heard horror stories of people rooming with a bunch of people so they sleep in the living room). How long does it take you to get to the law building/whereabouts do you live? 

Posted (edited)

I'm not going to UBC for law but I was there for my undergrad.

Its a pretty commuter heavy school but I think Kitsilano is a very popular area for UBC students. It takes 15-20 minutes by bus (depending on where you are in the area).

My friend was living with 4 other people in a (sizeable) house, they were paying about 900 each.

While going to school I lived at 41st and knight. I rented the top floor of a house with two friends (1800 sq ft) and we each paid 600 a month. Transit in Vancouver is great, the bus took about 30-45 minutes (depending on traffic).

Honestly, anywhere relatively close to campus I'd say expect to pay 900 at least. I know a friend who lived on the UBC grounds in an apartment, he was paying roughly 1000 a month. And it was tiny.

Living anywhere along the Canada line would be ideal. The main routes to get to school by bus are on Broadway, 33rd, 41st and 49th, so anything along there is fine (the Canada line has stops on each of those streets). It would also be much cheaper to live farther from campus, though maybe not on Broadway.

If youre open to a basement suite, a friend of mine pays 850 a month for a one bedroom, and he lives at 29th and Fraser. 

I'd use Craigslist to check (I think the norm for the rest of Canada is Kijiji) for available rentals to see what's available, but in my experience itd be difficult to find something for less than 700 with one roommate, and generally I wouldn't recommend living alone if your taking loans to pay for school.

If money is a concern, the marpole area is ok I guess. You're relatively close to a SkyTrain station, the bus to get to school is very close, and there's food + groceries nearby (also a great donair place). The apartments are a bit on the older side but they're cheap(er). You are, however, gonna be pretty far from fun stuff.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Phokis
Spelling
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

UBC grad 2013. I now live in a 500 sq/ft studio in East Van and pay $1,100. p/mo, but let's just call it non-market if you know what I mean. It would be over 1 hr on bus to get to campus. During law school, I lived in res and paid about $1,000.00 p/mo in a shared apt at Thunderbird Residence on campus for the summer (didn't work out, roommates were sektchy) and $1,400.00 p/mo or so to live at St. John's College along with a mealplan during the term. It had its drawbacks, but I'd recommend it on the whole -- the 5 minute bike ride to Allard Hall was invaluable: http://stjohns.ubc.ca/

This is the area of Vancouver you are looking for but they may not be the right droids for you: https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/search/apa?search_distance=5&postal=v6R+&availabilityMode=0&sale_date=all+dates

Edited by kcraigsejong

Posted (edited)

A lot of us live in South Granville or Kits and pay $1,200 to $1,400 (including some utilities) for tiny studio apartments. But you don't need much space, really. Friends with roommates pay $800-$900 in Kits/Marpole. I really cannot think of anyone who is paying less than $850.

Edited by Starling

Posted (edited)

A few years ago, I lived in a newly-constructed one bedroom condo on the westside for about $1500 (this would be a few hundred more today). 

Edited by QuincyWagstaff

i live on my own in a 1 bedroom basement suite in kits (10-15 min drive to campus), wanted a yard for my pooch.  i pay 1930 utilities incl. price is a little higher because my landlord rents out the suite for the summer months so i can go home.  have friends that have found 1 bedroom apartments from 1300-1850 (not incl utilities)

Sept 2018:

$1130, all utilities included, in Dunbar area. Basement suite (the whole unit is 900sq ft, my room is about 200-250?). I share with one other person (it was advertised as a 2 bedroom for 2260). Commute from my door to the door of the building my class is in at UBC is about 45 minutes if I leave before 8am, 60 if I leave around 8:20 (rush hour).