Sign in to follow this  
Igni

Question regarding reference letters for articling applications

Hi all, I have some questions regarding the inclusion of reference letters for articling applications.

• If firms don't mention whether they look at reference letters, should I include it anyways?
  • How much do reference letters influence an interview decision?
  • Does it matter if I use the same letter for all of my applications, or should each application have its own reference letter addressed to the specific person I send it to?

Thanks!

i'm not addressing reference letters to specific firms but just use the same for all, I did the same thing for OCIs and don't think it hurt me at all. wrt if they don't ask for letters, I feel like it doesn't really matter if you attach it or not, if you think you have a really good one then why not but if it's just so-so I wouldn't, but honestly I feel like it doesn't really matter. wrt how much they influence a decision idk but I feel like not that much.

• Like 1

I vaguely recall mention being made of one or two glowing reference letters during the last summer student recruitment process at my firm but don't think they had much, if any, real impact. They also didn't hurt, though. 

• Like 1

I included my references letters in applications where they weren’t specifically asked for  because they were very glowing tailored letters that I felt would only help my application. One of my references asked for the specific people/ firms they were directed to and individually addressed them. The others did not and I don’t think it made a difference.