Sign in to follow this  
Pats96

Aboriginal applicant

My question regards the aboriginal application process and potentially the access application as well. Currently, I am entering my third year of a 4 year honours bba program. Although in my 3rd year of the bba , this will be my 5th academic year. My first 2.5 years I didn’t really know what program I enjoyed and never really found myself interested in school really. My current gpa is 3.0 but a 3.5 in my last year and feel that I have found my niche in the bba program. I identify an aboriginal and have grown up through the foster care system, basically living on my own since the age of 12. I really want to get into western law school but don’t really know what chances I have or what I should be doing from this point forward. I do know on the western website it claims an average of 3.3 and a lsat score of 160+ would make me a competitive candidate. Any thoughts ? 

• Like 1

I don't know much about aboriginal applications but try to get 160 plus on the lsat, your entering your third year which is great because western is a big l2 school, do really well in these last 2 years 3.7 would be competitive through the regular category, it's almost like your starting the gpa with a  fresh slate so work hard and try for best it could really pay off at the end of that 4th year, if you score a 3.7 l2 , dont worry about the cgpa.focus on the l2)and a 160 plus lsat and with your background and I also think having a buisneess degree for western specifically could be somewhat helpful for a few different reasons e.g. tailoring your personal statements etc I think you would.be a competitive applicants for sure 

Btw I think quite a few schools in canada have special categories for aboriginal applicants Def look at that , there s also quite a few aboriginal applicants on this site and a large thread where they share their knowledge and expierence 

Access claims would also be justified in your case imo but word of caution  access applications are very hard to predict using stats, 

Best of luck

Edited by Timmies123

I will look at the aboriginal applicant section, just thought I put it through the general section. I also have confirmed from the university registrar whom I have become pretty good friends with and a few professors tha would not mind writing a reference letter. I also have played a year of cis football, and other athletic achievements. Very good at working with and around teams. Thanks for your feedback and honestly I’m really just trying to get anything above a 75, the bba program here only had 6 students graduating with an 80+ overall cgpa this June.

Edited by Pats96

1 hour ago, Pats96 said:

My first 2.5 years I didn’t really know what program I enjoyed and never really found myself interested in school really.

Assuming you still feel similar about school (not really interested), why go to law school? It’s much harder than undergrad, generally, and if you don’t find undergrad interesting, there’s a real possibility you won’t find law school interesting either. 

Anyway, you should calculate your OLSAS average here: http://lsutil.azurewebsites.net. That can give us a better idea of your chances, as the averages your school’s website gives you won’t be the same that law schools use to decide on your application. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ryn said:

Assuming you still feel similar about school (not really interested), why go to law school? It’s much harder than undergrad, generally, and if you don’t find undergrad interesting, there’s a real possibility you won’t find law school interesting either. 

Anyway, you should calculate your OLSAS average here: http://lsutil.azurewebsites.net. That can give us a better idea of your chances, as the averages your school’s website gives you won’t be the same that law schools use to decide on your application. 

I actually really enjoy school now the first few years I was in just a general arts pathway but never had anything clicking for me, so at 18 and 19 I was pretty uninterested because I didn’t know what I wanted to do also did not really have the confidence/work ethic that I was able to find taking a few business courses. I now want to specialize in business law with hopes of giving back in some way to my First Nation heritage. Whether that maybe providing services to small business enterprises, contract litigation and anything business related. The lack of interest was because I was unable to convert the same work ethic/confidence I had when competing In sport.

Edited by Pats96

Just a heads up the aboriginal thread is pinned at the top of the general section

Awesome softs, they will make a positive impact, just keep in mind gpa ( last 2 for western)and lsat will be by far the most important factors, when those variables don't meet or exceed medians admissions become.increasingly unpredictable, it may or may not go the way we wish 

I don't know.if this helps but I'll put it out there anyways, I did OK in my undergrad but in my last year I went to a new campus that with a new attitude of no expectations other than sheer work, I can't control my aptitude for the material or how my aptitude matches  in relation to that of my peers when they curve the grade or perhaps how well qualified my cohort may be, only thing I could Defintley control that had a impact was study strategy and simply tracking the hours every day, I thought of it as a full time job , I would aim for 80 hour weeks and i would actually clock in and out like a punchcard for work, I kno many think that's overkill but hitting that target number along with using all modalities for studying that worked for me, allowed me to achieve grades that I honestly did not even know I could achieve for myself  , I'm telling you there is an element of mindset to it , don't go in with an aim of 75 and dont focus on anyone except you ,go and try to put as many hours as your schedule will allow you  and tailor your studying expierence to be efficient for you and that's it, aim for 100 and nothing less and if you get 75 that's perfectly fine but walk in to these last 2 years with an attitude of no expectations, you put the work in and let the other variables and chips fall where they may, in my opinion 

Edited by Timmies123

9 minutes ago, Pats96 said:

I actually really enjoy school now the first few years I was in just a general arts pathway but never had anything clicking for me, so at 18 and 19 I was pretty uninterested because I didn’t know what I wanted to do also did not really have the confidence/work ethic that I was able to find taking a few business courses.

Glad to hear. As long as the motivation is there now, then there are no issues on that front. 

Just out of curiousity, what is it about law that interests you? The things you described wanting to do (other than contract litigation) including work with First Nation organizations seem to me to be more easily achieved with an MBA, and save you some time and money in the process. 

Anyways, all schools seek diversity and indigenous representation is always high on the priority list for any university, which should help make you a competitive applicant.  Keep your marks up, aim to do well on the LSAT (now would be a good time to start practice testing and finding out where you need to improve) and I think you would have a good chance of getting in.

A 3.3/160+ should be good for a lot of law school for an Aboriginal Applicant.