AshCatchem

Questions about 1L (Residence, Community, Transfers)

Hi everyone, 

To all who have lived on the Grad House residence! I have been accepted to the College for Fall 2018/19 and will be moving from BC to Sask. I have currently applied to the Graduate House and have reserved a studio unit but have a few questions about residence in general as it is my first time living alone/on campus. 

1) Regarding the units:

• It seems that the description insinuates that there is no fridge. FAQ section indicates that mini fridges are permitted. However, I also see pictures listed online that there appears to be a larger kitchen (probably communal) that do have double fridges. (asking only because I would like to eat foods other than non-perishable ones that could be stored in my unit easily lol) Are we allowed to use these communal kitchens? Is there a communal kitchen on each floor or just one for the entire building? 
  • Also noticed that the pictures depict small appliances (toasters, small water kettle, etc.), are these provided with the unit? 
  • For the bed, are pillows and blankets provided? 

2) How were your experiences with living on Grad House? 

3) How is the community like? Also, exactly how cold does it get... (from a BC resident who can barely deal with the winters here, I am a bit concerned). 

4) I also have thoughts about transferring but I note that a few previous threads have indicated, in terms of building friendships during 1L, I would be at a disadvantage for friend groups in 2L if I were to successfully transfer. Has anyone had any experience with this? 

Thank you all! :)

On 6/13/2018 at 12:01 PM, AshCatchem said:

Hi everyone, 

To all who have lived on the Grad House residence! I have been accepted to the College for Fall 2018/19 and will be moving from BC to Sask. I have currently applied to the Graduate House and have reserved a studio unit but have a few questions about residence in general as it is my first time living alone/on campus. 

1) Regarding the units:

• It seems that the description insinuates that there is no fridge. FAQ section indicates that mini fridges are permitted. However, I also see pictures listed online that there appears to be a larger kitchen (probably communal) that do have double fridges. (asking only because I would like to eat foods other than non-perishable ones that could be stored in my unit easily lol) Are we allowed to use these communal kitchens? Is there a communal kitchen on each floor or just one for the entire building? 
  • Also noticed that the pictures depict small appliances (toasters, small water kettle, etc.), are these provided with the unit? 
  • For the bed, are pillows and blankets provided? 

2) How were your experiences with living on Grad House? 

3) How is the community like? Also, exactly how cold does it get... (from a BC resident who can barely deal with the winters here, I am a bit concerned). 

4) I also have thoughts about transferring but I note that a few previous threads have indicated, in terms of building friendships during 1L, I would be at a disadvantage for friend groups in 2L if I were to successfully transfer. Has anyone had any experience with this? 

Thank you all! :)

I was in a studio unit in grad house last year, so i can answer those questions.

1. There was a fridge in my unit though I brought my own toaster and kettle. Pillow and mattress are provided but the blankets and sheets you have to provide yourself. You can use the communal fridges but almost nobody does(except for potlucks and stuff).

2. Experience was pretty good, its a quiet residence which means you can study there no problem but the room is quite small.

3. It gets VERY cold, and this is coming from someone from Alberta. The walk from grad house to place riel(closest building that is connected to law) is about 8 minutes and the wind chill can be absolutely brutal. So be prepared for that.

4. I don't have experience with transferring but I have understood that other law schools are a lot less friendly in terms of community and notes sharing and all that. Usask students are known for being fun. But i think that if you're a generally sociable person as most in law are, you wont have an issue making friends at your new school if you transferred.

Edited by LawSchoolHopeful2017

Hey all.  Does anyone know what happens in regards to paying tuition if you get accepted last minute off this waitlist? Do they give you a grace period to pay tuition? Or do they expect you to pay it first day of classes as well? 

25 minutes ago, ashleydawn08 said:

Hey all.  Does anyone know what happens in regards to paying tuition if you get accepted last minute off this waitlist? Do they give you a grace period to pay tuition? Or do they expect you to pay it first day of classes as well? 

Tuition is due at the end of September for term 1 (Sept. 28, to be precise) , and the end of January for term 2. So you shouldn't need a grace period.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, piscerainfada said:

Tuition is due at the end of September for term 1 (Sept. 28, to be precise) , and the end of January for term 2. So you shouldn't need a grace period.

Thank you so much!!!! TRU tuition is due Sept 1, so I was assuming all the schools are the same.