33 minutes ago, Lawtender33 said:

Does anyone know if / when we will lose access to our Osgoode email account? 

Good question. You might want to email the school. Maybe Osgoode IT is a good place to ask. I searched briefly and there’s nothing on Oz’s website about alumni email. 

My sense is that it’ll remain active for a while, if you’re just worried about making sure you get your mail for now. Best to check though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawtender33 said:

Does anyone know if / when we will lose access to our Osgoode email account? 

I wonder the same...

I heard that you lose direct access, but they never delete the accounts themselves, so if you want to make sure you continue to get any mail that comes to that address, just set up a forward.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll contact IT tomorrow and ask. Hopefully they remain active for a little while since I have a million folders I'll have to go through to forward things I want to keep to my normal account. 

I'll keep you all posted on what they say 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lawtender33 said:

Thanks for the feedback! I'll contact IT tomorrow and ask. Hopefully they remain active for a little while since I have a million folders I'll have to go through to forward things I want to keep to my normal account. 

I'll keep you all posted on what they say 

Thank you! :-) 

Update: I just spoke with IT who could not give me a specific timeline for when we'll lose access to our accounts. They said typically York University provides grads with around a year of access to their accounts post-graduation. However, for Osgoode, it could be as little as a few months (though they don't know exactly).

The person I spoke with, as well as the supervisor advised me that to be on the safe side I should get everything that I would like to keep out of my account (and provide anyone sending emails to that account with an updated address) by end of summer. 

27 minutes ago, Lawtender33 said:

Update: I just spoke with IT who could not give me a specific timeline for when we'll lose access to our accounts. They said typically York University provides grads with around a year of access to their accounts post-graduation. However, for Osgoode, it could be as little as a few months (though they don't know exactly).

The person I spoke with, as well as the supervisor advised me that to be on the safe side I should get everything that I would like to keep out of my account (and provide anyone sending emails to that account with an updated address) by end of summer. 

Terrible news. I had hoped to keep the account as my main email address and saved a lot on it. Anyone know how to transfer emails and folders onto gmail or a usb drive?

32 minutes ago, Lawtender33 said:

I think York is being stupid. Since they want alumni to have good memories and donate in future etc., why not have a system set up to automatically offer to migrate the contents of the account to an alumni e-mail account (I'm assuming there are reasons not to keep the student account active under the same address). I know people who were pissed off by e.g. York not notifying them for years they had books signed out, then telling them far too late for them to find it, hey, pay $X hundred now or don't get your degree. Not objecting to collecting library fines, but the manner of doing so matters, if you want to have good alumni memories and willingness to donate in future. Especially for those affected by the strike, shouldn't they be bending over backwards to provide at least some semblance of helpfulness on your way out the door?

36 minutes ago, epeeist said:

I think York is being stupid. Since they want alumni to have good memories and donate in future etc., why not have a system set up to automatically offer to migrate the contents of the account to an alumni e-mail account (I'm assuming there are reasons not to keep the student account active under the same address). I know people who were pissed off by e.g. York not notifying them for years they had books signed out, then telling them far too late for them to find it, hey, pay $X hundred now or don't get your degree. Not objecting to collecting library fines, but the manner of doing so matters, if you want to have good alumni memories and willingness to donate in future. Especially for those affected by the strike, shouldn't they be bending over backwards to provide at least some semblance of helpfulness on your way out the door?

It is pretty stupid. I have attended 3 universities, all of which kept my student account active (as an alumni account). My UofT one is still going, 5+ years after I graduated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, thegoodlaw said:

It is pretty stupid. I have attended 3 universities, all of which kept my student account active (as an alumni account). My UofT one is still going, 5+ years after I graduated.

I agree. My undergrad email is still working as well. I imagine it will keep working in perpetuity, as I’ve heard that’s what the policy is at my old school. 

@Lawtender33 did you talk to York IT or Osgoode IT? Osgoode has their own people handling tech and so I wonder who you heard from. 

Posted (edited)

I just called Osgoode IT, and emails do not get deleted and she said they "kind of last forever." 

Whew.

Edited by NoArticling2018
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ryn said:

I agree. My undergrad email is still working as well. I imagine it will keep working in perpetuity, as I’ve heard that’s what the policy is at my old school. 

@Lawtender33 did you talk to York IT or Osgoode IT? Osgoode has their own people handling tech and so I wonder who you heard from. 

@Ryn I spoke with Osgoode IT (both a help desk employee and the supervisor). Looks like @NoArticling2018 and I got two different answers (not surprising lol). 

1 minute ago, Lawtender33 said:

@Ryn I spoke with Osgoode IT (both a help desk employee and the supervisor). Looks like @NoArticling2018 and I got two different answers (not surprising lol). 

Yikeeeeeees. The girl I spoke with (sounded like an Asian woman since she had the accent) said she has dealt with Osgoode alumni's email accounts that were from the 2000s and they were still active. Oh man, I need confirmation so I can start backing up all my emails. 

Ugh so typical Osgoode. It might make sense to reach out to Student Services and see what they say. Something tells me they’re likely to be the ones deciding this issue.