kurrika

Advice for applying to government policy jobs

Municipalities also tend to pay really, really, really well.

May not be true across Canada, but it's been my experience looking at Ontario and BC.

Please don't say you are "thrilled" to apply for a position. Makes you sound like a psycho.

• Haha 2

On 3/16/2020 at 12:18 PM, kurrika said:

Please don't say you are "thrilled" to apply for a position. Makes you sound like a psycho.

I did indeed put this in my cover letter when applying for the BCPS.  Saw your advice and sheepishly changed it for my anticipated next round of applications.  Mind you, I did pass BCPS screening despite being a thrilled psycho... but I figure it can't hurt to change it for future, just in case ;)

11 hours ago, DavisFromCornerGas said:

I did indeed put this in my cover letter when applying for the BCPS.  Saw your advice and sheepishly changed it for my anticipated next round of applications.  Mind you, I did pass BCPS screening despite being a thrilled psycho... but I figure it can't hurt to change it for future, just in case ;)

some people in charge of hiring are psychos themselves and won't mind 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, DavisFromCornerGas said:

It’s not the biggest deal in the world and cover letters are incredibly contrived anyways. 

And I’m just one person with my own weird preferences.

Edited by kurrika
  • Like 1

Do: Ask for feedback.

Don't: Ask for feedback in such a way that makes the panel think they dodged a bullet (for example, be rude to support staff handling the emails / process).

• Like 3