19 minutes ago, cluj said:

Okay, okay, let me ask something that has been bugging me ever since I started practicing law (just a couple of years back). And I preface it by saying that I count over 55+ countries/territories from my pre-law practice days, and many of those are not just "bucket list" pit stops, but in some cases 15-30+ days spent in one country, including two 3-to-4-month stints in each of South America and SE Asia, all on a stingy but more-than-hostel budget.

How do those of you who are practicing find the energy to plan and execute such non-all-inclusive trips to drool-inducing destinations? I mean, I am a clear supporter of "do-not-go-to-all-inclusive-if-you-have-more-than-one-week-and-even-then", but now I feel like I need to get away to recover just to be able to come back and put in more sweat and (few) tears into my work. I love working as a lawyer, don't get me wrong; and I have enough travel experience to be able to plan and execute with ease, even economically--but I cannot easily envision a time in the near future where "all inclusive or similar" won't be the first thing I think of for going on a 1-2 week vacation.

NB: I recognize I am contributing to taking this thread way off topic. So mods can feel free to move to an "off topic" thread, like that started by @lioness a while back.

To keep it somewhat on topic, I will address @healthlaw's travelling ambivalence: I would certainly choose to travel in the hiatus before articling, because it's not just an issue of finances and finding the time, but also an issue of finding the energy to dedicate to active and itinerant travel.

Planning. I've travelled extensively, both before law school, during law school, and after beginning practice, and I've never gone to an all-inclusive. It's not that difficult to plan.

3 hours ago, cluj said:

Okay, okay, let me ask something that has been bugging me ever since I started practicing law (just a couple of years back). And I preface it by saying that I count over 55+ countries/territories from my pre-law practice days, and many of those are not just "bucket list" pit stops, but in some cases 15-30+ days spent in one country, including two 3-to-4-month stints in each of South America and SE Asia, all on a stingy but more-than-hostel budget.

How do those of you who are practicing find the energy to plan and execute such non-all-inclusive trips to drool-inducing destinations? I mean, I am a clear supporter of "do-not-go-to-all-inclusive-if-you-have-more-than-one-week-and-even-then", but now I feel like I need to get away to recover just to be able to come back and put in more sweat and (few) tears into my work. I love working as a lawyer, don't get me wrong; and I have enough travel experience to be able to plan and execute with ease, even economically--but I cannot easily envision a time in the near future where "all inclusive or similar" won't be the first thing I think of for going on a 1-2 week vacation.

NB: I recognize I am contributing to taking this thread way off topic. So mods can feel free to move to an "off topic" thread, like that started by @lioness a while back.

To keep it somewhat on topic, I will address @healthlaw's travelling ambivalence: I would certainly choose to travel in the hiatus before articling, because it's not just an issue of finances and finding the time, but also an issue of finding the energy to dedicate to active and itinerant travel.

I haven't actually been on such a trip yet, but I hope to soon. My husband is currently planning one for us that is not all-inclusive. I love looking at pictures of places I want to go and googling them. I find it relaxing and stress-reducing and it doesn't take that much time. I would assume that we would build in relaxation time to the trip. You can always relax in the evening in a nice hotel that has a spa, and be more busy in the day. 

• Like 1