BDoan13

Best Residence on Campus?

I got accepted to the U of S and am from Alberta, so I am just wondering where is the best place for law students to stay on Campus? I am assuming Grad House would probably be ideal, but just wanted to hear some input. 

Speaking from someone who lived in Voyageur place and frequented College quarter, don't do it. Live in grad house, its nice and quiet, and you will be surrounded by upper years undergrads and like-minded professional students. The others tend to be loud with first years partying all the time and its not worth the number of times you have to go outside in -20 because someone pulled the fire alarm.  

I'll second what mightbeaburrito said. I never lived on campus, but went here for undergrad and law. I've had a lot of friends who have lived in Voyageur Place, College Quarter, and Grad House. Grad House is for sure the way to go!

Since you're moving from out of province, I'm sure on campus residence would be more convenient; however, I'd honestly recommend checking out Kijiji for an off campus rental in the Varsity View neighbourhood. It'll be cheaper than residence and probably a lot nicer and more spacious. If you were willing to go that route, you may be able to find another law student to roommate with through the Law Student Association Facebook page, which will probably be posted later this summer. 

• Like 1

Yeah I would second the post saying look for off campus rental. There's lots of nice neighbourhoods and the city is small enough that you should never be more than 15 minutes away from campus.

I live in Grad House and I like it. As others have mentioned, it's super quiet (when I first moved in, it felt like I was in an abandoned hotel like The Shining) and you can just walk everywhere. $1,031 rent for a single studio apartment, which is a bit on the pricey side, but if you get a 2 bedroom unit with a roommate it's only $819, plus you get a partial meal plan out of it; you'll still need to buy the vast majority of your own food (the rooms have a microwave, stove, and oven) but it was roughly enough for me to go to the Marquis Hall all-you-can-eat buffet once a week.