Sign in to follow this  
plzacceptmelawschool

Transferring from L1 USA to L2 Ontario

57 minutes ago, plzacceptmelawschool said:

Just wanted to let you all know I got offers from 2 Ontario schools :) 

miracles do happen

congrats

Amazing. How high did you rank at the US school? You must have worked your ass off.

I think people here are letting their prejudices against Cooley see the big picture clearly. I know tons of people from 4th tier US law schools who've transferred to Ontario law schools, particularly schools like U of T and Windsor. Windsor cares more about compassionate grounds, while U of T is all about marks. You can come from the worst law school in the world, but as long as it is accredited and you are at the top of your class in 1L, then you have a good shot at transferring there. I know Cooley students have transferred to U of T law in the past. In my personal opinion, it really sucks because they've found a loophole in the system in a way. It is definitely easier to perform well at a school like Cooley, as opposed to other top-tier American law schools and Canadian law schools. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, plzacceptmelawschool said:

Just wanted to let you all know I got offers from 2 Ontario schools :) 

Congrats. Which ones?

1 hour ago, Simbaa said:

I think people here are letting their prejudices against Cooley see the big picture clearly. I know tons of people from 4th tier US law schools who've transferred to Ontario law schools, particularly schools like U of T and Windsor. Windsor cares more about compassionate grounds, while U of T is all about marks. You can come from the worst law school in the world, but as long as it is accredited and you are at the top of your class in 1L, then you have a good shot at transferring there. I know Cooley students have transferred to U of T law in the past. In my personal opinion, it really sucks because they've found a loophole in the system in a way. It is definitely easier to perform well at a school like Cooley, as opposed to other top-tier American law schools and Canadian law schools. 

An expensive loophole too

• Like 1

I mean.. if it were easy, everyone would be doing it. 

It took me three cycles to make it into a Canadian law school. If I wasn't accepted in the third cycle, I was going to walk away. I'd never have planned on going to Cooley, where I would have been admitted, and transferring. Too many things would have to go my way for that decision to make sense. 

Edited by easttowest
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, easttowest said:

It took me three cycles to make it into a Canadian law school. If I wasn't accepted in the third cycle, I was going to walk away. I'd never have planned on going to Cooley, where I would have been admitted, and transferring. Too many things would have to go my way for that decision to make sense. 

It's because few people are actually thinking that far ahead. It's also not the path of least resistance and very expensive compared to a Canadian education. It's sort of like Canadian students who attend Caribbean medical schools on the slim chance of being able to return here. International options are there, but it takes a lot more legwork on your part to research them and to come up with the finances to fund it. 

16 minutes ago, Simbaa said:

It's because few people are actually thinking that far ahead. It's also not the path of least resistance and very expensive compared to a Canadian education. It's sort of like Canadian students who attend Caribbean medical schools on the slim chance of being able to return here. International options are there, but it takes a lot more legwork on your part to research them and to come up with the finances to fund it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, easttowest said:

In my experience, people applying to Canadian law schools just don't know about it. It has been done by a lot of people, but it's not a topic of conversation that comes up in law school admission discussions. People don't just say - Hey, don't sweat it if you don't get into a Canadian law school. Just go to a bottom tier school abroad with weaker competition, pray that you excel above and beyond your classmates, and then you'll be able to transfer to a law school somewhere in Canada. The Canadians who go internationally for law school are probably not considering transferring schools either.

Also, the people I know who've transferred law schools don't like to advertise that fact; many of them don't have it listed on their law firm or LinkedIn profiles. You just know about it if you a) know these people personally or b) attend a law school that has a lot of transfer students

I can tell you as an Osgoode alumnus that we also have transfer students from low tier American schools (ones we've never even heard of).

Edited by Simbaa
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Simbaa said:

Are we arguing? I believe that it happens. I also think it's difficult and uncertain enough to not be a loophole as much as a creative way into law school in Canada. 

If someone is willing to take the financial risk and stress that I'm sure accompanies that path, more power to them.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Simbaa said:

This wasn't exactly a sure thing when OP was attending Cooley. ABA had them out of compliance.

3 hours ago, setto said:

This wasn't exactly a sure thing when OP was attending Cooley. ABA had them out of compliance.

They were never out of compliance, or I would not have been able to take classes. 

2 hours ago, plzacceptmelawschool said:

They were never out of compliance, or I would not have been able to take classes. 

Sure they were

https://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/aba/administrative/legal_education_and_admissions_to_the_bar/PublicNoticeAnnouncements/2017_ november_wm_thomas_m_cooley_law_school_adverse_action.authcheckdam.pdf

"Pursuant to Rule 12(a)(4), the committee concludes that the Law School is not in compliance with Standard 501(b) and interpretation 501-1".

They were only brought back into compliance in April 2018.

You can take classes in a non accredited and non compliant law school in the US.

Edit: Upon further research it appears that their being brought back into compliance is being met with some cynicism. Some say they are still out but the decision was reversed as part of a settlement between ABA and Cooley.

Edited by setto

21 hours ago, easttowest said:

Everyone probably would do it if they (or the bank of mom and dad) could afford it.

On July 24, 2018 at 2:25 PM, Simbaa said:

Not much of a loophole. Sure, you might be able to get into UofT, but so what?  As you say, it's easier to perform well at Cooley, which means if you're not smart enough to do well at UofT you won't do well at UofT. You certainly won't be competitive with UofT students for 2L jobs - lawyers look at transcripts and know full well that Cooley is garbage school. 

And if you use that "loophole" and do well at UofT, well, what's the complaint, you proved you belong. 

• Like 1

Indeed, as far as "loopholes" go, I can't imagine a stupider loophole:  

"Hey, let's go to a shitty (and very expensive) law school, that teaches different law so I can transfer (I mean, assuming I end up in the top 10 percentile AND UofT accepts me) into a much better school in 2L where, apart from being dumber than all my classmates, I'll be disadvantaged by not having learned the same basics that they learned in 1L.". 

I mean, anyone who thinks that's a clever plan isn't smart enough to pull it off. 

Edited by maximumbob
  • Like 4

OP didn’t say they got an offer from U of T and I’d be surprised if that’s one of the schools.

2L hiring would definitely be my main concern. 

1 minute ago, providence said:

OP didn’t say they got an offer from U of T and I’d be surprised if that’s one of the schools.

2L hiring would definitely be my main concern. 

No, but simbaa did mention uoft.