Jump to content
HumptyDumpty

Lakehead Law Grads - Prospective Placement Students

Recommended Posts

Hey,

Someone I know is interested in hiring a Lakehead law grad.  Apparently their grads do a 3 or 4 month placement with a law firm, unpaid, and then get to write the Ontario Bar.

Does anyone know if there is a notice board or something along those lines with prospective Lakehead law grads that I can refer my buddy to?

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First things first, it is not a Lakehead law grad, it is a third year student.

Second, the process isn't just one wherein your friend picks and chooses whoever he or she wishes and they get the student to do unpaid work for them. The process is much like a draft, and if I recall correctly, there are plenty of employers who apply for students but do not get them. Nonetheless, to answer your question, I would email the law school with an email from the school's website and ask them how to get involved in the procedure. I know who you're supposed to contact but I am not posting this persons personal information on an anonymous messaging board. Just call the school.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FingersCr0ssed said:

First things first, it is not a Lakehead law grad, it is a third year student.

Second, the process isn't just one wherein your friend picks and chooses whoever he or she wishes and they get the student to do unpaid work for them. The process is much like a draft, and if I recall correctly, there are plenty of employers who apply for students but do not get them. Nonetheless, to answer your question, I would email the law school with an email from the school's website and ask them how to get involved in the procedure. I know who you're supposed to contact but I am not posting this persons personal information on an anonymous messaging board. Just call the school.

Lakehead Law released their first year of graduating students in the 2016-2017 year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ForensicAnthropology said:

Lakehead Law released their first year of graduating students in the 2016-2017 year. 

So are you trying to hire graduates of the law program, or get involved in the placement process? The placement process is done during 3rd year for 4 months. 

 

Kf if you want to get involved in the placement process, emailing lakehead law is your best bet (or calling). 

 

If you mean grads, no we don’t have a board, but if you want to hire a grad, again Id email the school with a job posting as our student services director sends out job ads every Friday 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ForensicAnthropology said:

Lakehead Law released their first year of graduating students in the 2016-2017 year. 

People's names and addresses are also published in a phone book, but what does that have to do with anything?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question about this,

Can students only pick placements that have applied to the University? Or are students able to find their own placements with agencies/organizations they like, if that organization is willing to accept the student?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it like a coop process in which you apply to bunch of firms through school portal, firms invite you for interview, and make offer if they like you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, steversteves said:

Question about this,

Can students only pick placements that have applied to the University? Or are students able to find their own placements with agencies/organizations they like, if that organization is willing to accept the student?

 

You can do both. There’s open placement where all students are sent a list of places that have signed up for the process and you apply to 4 of them and do interviews and rank which ones you liked the most. 

 

Then there are closed placements where you can go out and find your own - this can be anywhere in Ontario with any type of firm you want :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lalaland554 said:

You can do both. There’s open placement where all students are sent a list of places that have signed up for the process and you apply to 4 of them and do interviews and rank which ones you liked the most. 

 

Then there are closed placements where you can go out and find your own - this can be anywhere in Ontario with any type of firm you want :) 

That. Is. AWESOME!

That is great! I would like to continue working for the organization I am currently working for, just within the capacity of a counsel instead of the current role I hold. I know we accept articulating students, so I am sure if I identify some key people I can perhaps get placement here as a student! 

Thanks so much! That just made me really happy and even more enthused about choosing Lakehead!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



  • Recent Posts

    • For those of you who have written the bar, 1) Did you always find the answers in the materials? I've done some practice tests and find it hard to always find the answer in the materials - i'm tempted to just guess based on my own knowledge - is this something you did?  2) Did you use OLE's indices? the detailed table of contents? whats the best way to find answers fast?  
    • Hey,  I'm moving from BC. I found a place through Kijiji. I had just been scanning the ads regularly. I was going to rent an extra month in July just to secure a place but ended up finding one that started mid August. So my suggestion is keep an eye out there. Also avoid Marda. They were awful and rude when I spoke with them.  As for course enrollment I believe we dont have to first year. I'm under the impression we get registered by the school. I could be wrong but when I was reading the handbook for the MSW/JD program that's what I got from it. I know you can check your uwinsite and at the top where it says applicant click it should drop down and there should be a student option if your account is activated. Mine is not yet. Not sure if others are.  We will also be receiving a welcome package in the beginning of August through mail with more info I believe. 
    • Just to dispel this myth, it isn't really true. Certain fields of law and practices, absolutely. But you can definitely work in Montreal being an Anglo with limited French.
    • Depends on the prof and time of year. Some profs are more helpful than others and some times of year they are busier than others. Some of them don't set rigid office hours but are easily available by appointment. During midterms/exams, office hours will invariably be busier than usual, but still easy to get in to. I find that the best way to have a productive conversation during office hours is to ensure I have compiled clear, narrow questions. It facilitates much more directed conversations and professors tend to be happier to help students who appear to be making efforts to learn rather than simply coming to them asking to be taught the entire course material. For example, I would not go to office hours simply asking for them to explain a topic. I would read about the topic, develop questions I had about it and go to them for clarification/discussion on specific issues I had.
×
×
  • Create New...