HumptyDumpty

Lakehead Law Grads - Prospective Placement Students

Hey,

Someone I know is interested in hiring a Lakehead law grad.  Apparently their grads do a 3 or 4 month placement with a law firm, unpaid, and then get to write the Ontario Bar.

Does anyone know if there is a notice board or something along those lines with prospective Lakehead law grads that I can refer my buddy to?

Thank you.

First things first, it is not a Lakehead law grad, it is a third year student.

Second, the process isn't just one wherein your friend picks and chooses whoever he or she wishes and they get the student to do unpaid work for them. The process is much like a draft, and if I recall correctly, there are plenty of employers who apply for students but do not get them. Nonetheless, to answer your question, I would email the law school with an email from the school's website and ask them how to get involved in the procedure. I know who you're supposed to contact but I am not posting this persons personal information on an anonymous messaging board. Just call the school.

1 hour ago, FingersCr0ssed said:

First things first, it is not a Lakehead law grad, it is a third year student.

Second, the process isn't just one wherein your friend picks and chooses whoever he or she wishes and they get the student to do unpaid work for them. The process is much like a draft, and if I recall correctly, there are plenty of employers who apply for students but do not get them. Nonetheless, to answer your question, I would email the law school with an email from the school's website and ask them how to get involved in the procedure. I know who you're supposed to contact but I am not posting this persons personal information on an anonymous messaging board. Just call the school.

Lakehead Law released their first year of graduating students in the 2016-2017 year. 

13 hours ago, ForensicAnthropology said:

Lakehead Law released their first year of graduating students in the 2016-2017 year. 

So are you trying to hire graduates of the law program, or get involved in the placement process? The placement process is done during 3rd year for 4 months. 

Kf if you want to get involved in the placement process, emailing lakehead law is your best bet (or calling). 

If you mean grads, no we don’t have a board, but if you want to hire a grad, again Id email the school with a job posting as our student services director sends out job ads every Friday 

16 hours ago, ForensicAnthropology said:

People's names and addresses are also published in a phone book, but what does that have to do with anything?

Question about this,

Can students only pick placements that have applied to the University? Or are students able to find their own placements with agencies/organizations they like, if that organization is willing to accept the student?

Is it like a coop process in which you apply to bunch of firms through school portal, firms invite you for interview, and make offer if they like you?

14 hours ago, steversteves said:

Question about this,

Can students only pick placements that have applied to the University? Or are students able to find their own placements with agencies/organizations they like, if that organization is willing to accept the student?

You can do both. There’s open placement where all students are sent a list of places that have signed up for the process and you apply to 4 of them and do interviews and rank which ones you liked the most. 

Then there are closed placements where you can go out and find your own - this can be anywhere in Ontario with any type of firm you want :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lalaland554 said:

You can do both. There’s open placement where all students are sent a list of places that have signed up for the process and you apply to 4 of them and do interviews and rank which ones you liked the most. 

Then there are closed placements where you can go out and find your own - this can be anywhere in Ontario with any type of firm you want :) 

That. Is. AWESOME!

That is great! I would like to continue working for the organization I am currently working for, just within the capacity of a counsel instead of the current role I hold. I know we accept articulating students, so I am sure if I identify some key people I can perhaps get placement here as a student! 

Thanks so much! That just made me really happy and even more enthused about choosing Lakehead!!