JohnP

Undergraduate Programs: mine is harder than yours: The Great Debate

11 minutes ago, epeeist said:

A trivial example would be the use of Google to look up what the hell "information science" is... :twisted:

Here's his bio, he looks to be more on the computer/library/information science side, not e.g. the U of Akron geographic information science side.

It was a rhetorical/sarcastic question to indicate my belief that it’s not really a “science” any more than political science is.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, providence said:

Math teaches you all of that. It does actually follow you around. It was very helpful to law school study. It does help with reading comprehension.

ugh...it was a joke. I thought it was funny you misread my post in context. I don't actually think you have a problem with reading comprehension.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, conge said:

It was a just joke. I'm pretty sure Providence (i) studied math and (ii) misread my post (as ppl do on internet forums when quickly scanning), or perhaps my post was unclear. 

No worries, I just think that in general the amount of reading comprehension involved in applied sciences is understated by a lot of people. The stack of articles on my desk right now attests to that. Half will say one thing, half will say the polar opposite, and I'll have to parse out the equal ground and compare it to my own data.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, conge said:

It was a just joke. I'm pretty sure Providence (i) studied math and (ii) misread my post (as ppl do on internet forums when quickly scanning), or perhaps my post was unclear. 

No I didn’t misread it, I disagreed with it, because I think math does do the things you seemed to be saying it doesn’t as much as the humanities do the: assisting everyday critical thinking/reading, and I think math does that even more than the humanities.

6 minutes ago, providence said:

Math teaches you all of that. It does actually follow you around. It was very helpful to law school study. It does help with reading comprehension.

Forensic Science follows you around a lot as well. It has reminded me to not produce fingerprints on TTC bus or train poles.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, conge said:

I don't disagree with you, but I'm not talking about the ability to compare literature from the 1600s or criticize some political ideology but rather communicate clearly in writing, emotional intelligence, the ability to understand a moral/political concept without agreeing with it, etc. These items aren't directly on the syllabus of a BA, but I think they more prevalent in liberal arts type programs. 

You need to communicate clearly in writing as a scientist or mathematician if you want your ideas to be received. 

I would disagree that any program teaches emotional intelligence. That’s something innate to a person developed by their life experience. A lot of lawyers with BAs lack it. One of the people who I think has the highest level of it I’ve ever seen is my husband who took engineering in undergrad. In my anecdotal experience I haven’t noticed people with arts degrees being more insightful into emotions.

I think your third item is increasingly not happening in arts programs! But math does provide a framework for the same thing - the understanding and testing of theorems. 

Edited by providence
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, providence said:

No I didn’t misread it, I disagreed with it, because I think math does do the things you seemed to be saying it doesn’t as much as the humanities do the: assisting everyday critical thinking/reading, and I think math does that even more than the humanities.

It's not unusual to hear from English Lit majors that LSAT RC is difficult for them. One person told me it's because they have been trained to read to analyze and the types of things RC tests doesn't jive with this way of thinking. 

1 minute ago, Psychometronic said:

It's not unusual to hear from English Lit majors that LSAT RC is difficult for them. One person told me it's because they have been trained to read to analyze and the types of things RC tests doesn't jive with this way of thinking. 

I think math is the best prep there is for the MCAT or LSAT, including RC and definitely for LR and LG. But so many people tried to talk me out of taking it.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, chaboywb said:

What's the difference in reading comprehension between reading a novel vs. an essay vs. a science publication? It's all high-level.

While I'm still going with it depends on the individual, I think a randomly selected person will likely find reading a novel and understanding its themes, discussing them in a book club,  etc., whatever, much easier than doing the same with a scientific article.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ForensicAnthropology said:

Forensic Science follows you around a lot as well. It has reminded me to not produce fingerprints on TTC bus or train poles.

Why, are you planning on committing offences on the TTC?

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, ForensicAnthropology said:

I would assume public transit is the best place to leave fingerprints at.

Edited by Psychometronic
  • Like 1

The point is, there has been many discussions about this topic. There is no clear cut answer, nor will there ever be. 

Everyone just wants to bolster their opinion and defend that the degree they obtained is much more important/harder than everyone else’s.

tldr: Forensic Science at UofT is just way too hard. I suggest that no one do it. 

1 hour ago, epeeist said:

[emphasis added]

Yes, they can. Again, it depends on the individual. In engineering, I knew some people who found high-level mathematics much easier - both took them less time to study/do problems/assignments and they got much better marks, than in required outside electives in history and other humanities. They got stressed-out about history assignments and tests but not math. Etc. And I don't only mean people for whom English was a second language.

I was mostly the other way round, but what was trivially easy for me was difficult for some others and vice versa.

When people say colloquially that x is “harder” than y they mean that far more people struggle with x than y and a far greater portion of people who can do x can do y than vice versa. 

It’s like how everyone would agree that it’s harder to make the NBA than to learn to bowl 200 even if there is some NBA player who just can’t get the knack of bowling for the life of him. And yet nobody can really think that making the NBA isn’t harder than bowling a 200, and they don’t reply “oh well actually I know this NBA player who sucks at bowling and finds hitting 60% of his 3 pointers easier.”

Likewise, everybody knows that math and physics are conceptually more difficult than history and law. 

Edited by NYCLawyer
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, providence said:

You need to communicate clearly in writing as a scientist or mathematician if you want your ideas to be received. 

I would disagree that any program teaches emotional intelligence. That’s something innate to a person developed by their life experience. A lot of lawyers with BAs lack it. One of the people who I think has the highest level of it I’ve ever seen is my husband who took engineering in undergrad. In my anecdotal experience I haven’t noticed people with arts degrees being more insightful into emotions.

I think your third item is increasingly not happening in arts programs! But math does provide a framework for the same thing - the understanding and testing of theorems. 

Human Relations at Concordia. It's all group work, "I Statements" group dynamics and how your self is injected into relationships. It's a neat program though the majority of people are wanna be business students who don't do math.

9 minutes ago, NYCLawyer said:

When people say colloquially that x is “harder” than y they mean that far more people struggle with x than y and a far greater portion of people who can do x can do y than vice versa. 

It’s like how everyone would agree that it’s harder to make the NBA than to learn to bowl 200 even if there is some NBA player who just can’t get the knack of bowling for the life of him. And yet nobody can really think that making the NBA isn’t harder than bowling a 200, and they don’t reply “oh well actually I know this NBA player who sucks at bowling and finds hitting 60% of his 3 pointers easier.”

Likewise, everybody knows that math and physics are conceptually more difficult than history and law. 

In this thread, presumably we're discussing what's easier to get good marks in for the purpose of getting into law school. Or at least, that's an underlying principle. So along those lines, people should consider what's easier for them to get good marks in, not what's easier for some proportion of the population.

• Like 1

Just now, epeeist said:

In this thread, presumably we're discussing what's easier to get good marks in for the purpose of getting into law school. Or at least, that's an underlying principle. So along those lines, people should consider what's easier for them to get good marks in, not what's easier for some proportion of the population.

Ok well then I guess you can chalk my contribution up with the part of the discussion than isn’t just about that. 

9 minutes ago, NYCLawyer said:

But it seems everybody doesn't know that according to this thread. You seem to be saying "math and physics are harder because they're harder". Yeah, obviously everyone knows that it's more difficult to be in the NBA than to bowl a 200+ game because there is a significant fraction of people who bowl that can bowl a 200 vs. the small fraction of people who play basketball that are in the NBA. What about bowling multiple 300s? Completely different skillset, maybe the same portion of the population, very little overlap between the groups. In my mind that would be akin to top minds in science vs. the top minds in English. If you polled the general public they'd probably conclude that science is more difficult than English, but they could also easily be underestimating the difficulty of the latter program.

If we're talking about the percentage of the population that actually HAS each degree as a measure of difficulty, then according to http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/nhs-enm/2011/as-sa/99-012-x/2011001/tbl/tbl02-eng.cfm visual arts is the most difficult University program while business is the easiest.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NYCLawyer said:

Ok well then I guess you can chalk my contribution up with the part of the discussion than isn’t just about that. 

E.g. dick-measuring?

8 minutes ago, chaboywb said:

But it seems everybody doesn't know that according to this thread. You seem to be saying "math and physics are harder because they're harder". Yeah, obviously everyone knows that it's more difficult to be in the NBA than to bowl a 200+ game because there is a significant fraction of people who bowl that can bowl a 200 vs. the small fraction of people who play basketball that are in the NBA. What about bowling multiple 300s? Completely different skillset, maybe the same portion of the population, very little overlap between the groups. In my mind that would be akin to top minds in science vs. the top minds in English. If you polled the general public they'd probably conclude that science is more difficult than English, but they could also easily be underestimating the difficulty of the latter program.

If we're talking about the percentage of the population that actually HAS each degree as a measure of difficulty, then according to http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/nhs-enm/2011/as-sa/99-012-x/2011001/tbl/tbl02-eng.cfm visual arts is the most difficult University program while business is the easiest.

The proportion of people who can complete an English degree is much higher than the proportion of people who can complete a math degree. This obvious to anyone who has sat through a math class and an English class. You’re quite correct that I’m not providing any statistical evidence for this. It’s obvious to anyone and I can’t be bothered. I don’t mind if you disagree. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TrqTTs said:

E.g. dick-measuring?

I guess you could say that. I didn’t major in either math or physics so I don’t really have a dick in this, um, sword fight. I just find myself in agreement with the obvious things are obvious side of the debate. 

Besides which, in my only post that isn’t responding to others questioning me I said that being good at conceptually difficult things is overrated. I’m a lawyer. I don’t deal in difficult concepts. What do I care if I’m good at them or not? 

Edited by NYCLawyer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1