JohnP

Undergraduate Programs: mine is harder than yours: The Great Debate

14 minutes ago, exocytosis646 said:

But then again, thats a small sample size

So i guess the confusion in this thread was that i was saying an arts degree is easier than STEM for every person, which it is not. I just meant for me- arts courses are a walk in the park

Nice! You got the representation flaw, now just look for the whole-to-part! 

• Like 1

dude if you wanna pm me- i can show you my transcript and my grades in all my arts courses- i can back up everything

and tbh i aint writing an essay lmao- why would i try and worry about grammer here

Also english aint even my first language

2 minutes ago, exocytosis646 said:

dude if you wanna pm me- i can show you my transcript and my grades in all my arts courses- i can back up everything

and tbh i aint writing an essay lmao- why would i try and worry about grammer here

shut it down 30 rock GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

1 minute ago, exocytosis646 said:

Dude. Give it up lol. The insecurity is so obvious. 

Honestly, everyone, if this person is so committed to being............like this.......... then I don't think we should keep bothering to entertain it. It's a waste of time at this point.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, legallybrunette3 said:

Nah man, this person doesn't even want to go to law school they are just entertaining it as a back-up plan because it's so "easy to get into". Granted they are still in their first year of undergrad, but are 100% confident they will get into law with only 3 years (and are applying to schools that look at 3 years and 4 years the same, since those exist apparently mostly in Ontario), and have already scored an LSAT diagnostic of 169 without even trying at the young age of 17. 

They clearly know exactly what they're doing, and obviously so cognitively advanced that contemporary topics in art 1000 was an absolute breeze. 

Let me expand...

Yes, law school is my backup, because it is significantly easier to get into than med school.

Also I apologize for saying law school is so easy to get into- i just said that in haste, and I understand that everyone works hard, and getting in should not be undervalued. I just meant competitively law is much easier, but still not a joke ofc

Also the 169 diagnostic was legit- i did it the summer b4 starting first yr... Additionally i did exaggerate when i said i didnt try, i meant moreso I didnt do any prior prep, like get any books or services or anything

That was my first crack ever at anything lsat related, and thats how i did.

Also, based on my research and the grades im expected to get this semester (obv ik i could die of covid tmrw and none of this would be relevant), but schools like uofa, ryerson, western, etc... commonly have people getting in with 3.6-3.7s and high 150 lsat scores, so I am genuinely confident I can get into those, as im projected to be closer to a 3.9-4.0 (based on my past completed credits and such).

I am genuinely sorry for my wording to everyone in this thread, as I shouldnt have acted so cocky. I just wanted to mention that I was confident in my abilities for those schools, and UofC law school was the only school i was worried about

I hope yall understand

3 minutes ago, exocytosis646 said:

Look, you came into this thread and threw around generalized insults at people and their degrees for no reason. If you want to be a doctor or lawyer, good for you, but maybe start treating people with some respect when they’re trying to respond helpfully to you. 

• Like 1

I reviewed papers written by STEM majors who thought taking a course in my major (Film Studies) would be an easy A. A significant number of them withdrew after their first papers were graded.

Anecdotally, after I graduated from my arts program I immediately secured a salaried position with benefits. My friend with an electrical engineering degree could only find part-time work as a math/physics tutor and ultimately had to go get his masters. 3 other friends from the science faculty failed to get into med school and had to take on volunteer research positions.

EDIT: my law grad class' gold medalist has a BA as well, and I think the silver medalist has a B.Ed

Edited by canuckfanatic
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Portzy said:

You wanna talk theory if we are at the same school? I am worried im going to miss getting my philosophical fix after my PHIL-degree is done 🤓

LOL for sure, I feel the same way!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, exocytosis646 said:

I still havent learned much about aplying to uofC as a 3rd yr.... 

Hey ya peanut.

I replied to you with exactly the information you were looking for - the advice I received from U of C admissions was that I should still wait until fourth year, even with a 4.0/167. 

In the past five years, U of C has admitted 0-2 students without degrees, out of a class size of 122-135. What we don't know from those figures is whether those one or two students were actually enrolled in fourth year at the time they applied, but dropped out once they were admitted to law school. This is information that took me about 90 seconds to find using Google. 

And since you're apparently projected to achieve academic stardom, I'm sure you'll understand this point - in my experience, it's easier to get a decent grade in arts courses, but it's harder to distinguish yourself from the pack and earn a stellar grade. Many arts profs don't love throwing around A+ grades. Whereas in my major program - mathematics - if you understood the material well enough to do decently well, you understood the material well enough to ace it, and an A or A+ was consistently attainable.

Even though I got a 4.0 in math, I don't think I would've had such a clean track record in an arts program. 

So your inflammatory and insensitive comments about arts majors weren't just a social faux pas. They were just plain wrong, and you refused to hear anything to the contrary despite purporting to ask for our advice. 

Then you tell us that you are 17, haven't actually earned this ostensible 3.85 GPA, and law school is your safety for med school. And then complain that you weren't "able to get any help from anyone who commented here."

Now I remember why I stopped replying to 0L threads like, five years ago.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Deadpool said:

I typically don't entertain these kinds of comments, but just to help this kid out a bit...

1) Medical school don't care what you did your undergrad in. There are people with arts and business degrees that get into medical school (do a LinkedIn search). 

Regarding the cultural values regarding various degree programs in your home country, I highly doubt it is as black and white as you paint it. Even so, you are in Canada now. Are you planning on returning to your home country for further education or your career? If not, and you plan on remaining in Canada for further studies and to make a life here, then you need to become accustomed to Canadian values. We don't give a hoot here what people did their undergraduate degree in, or really, what they studied at all. We give respect based on how people treat us and others around them. At least, that is how adults think with some emotional intelligence think. A university degree from Canada is nothing to mock and is respected by most of the world. 

You need to work on your emotional intelligence. A lack of emotional intelligence and character will cripple you in law school/medical school and future adulthood. It doesn't matter how academically intelligent you think you are. If you don't possess any street smarts or emotional intelligence, you won't make it very far in your career and your personal life. Work on that. All the best. 

It's also noteworthy that these traits are very important for med school adcoms and interviews from my limited knowledge. The few people I know in med school are truly incredible people not just in terms of their academic achievements, but also in terms of just being all around great, empathetic people. 

1 hour ago, exocytosis646 said:

Are you, or are you not a first year student not even done their first semester of university yet?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MountainMon said:

It's also noteworthy that these traits are very important for med school adcoms and interviews from my limited knowledge. The few people I know in med school are truly incredible people not just in terms of their academic achievements, but also in terms of just being all around great, empathetic people. 

I don't know... he has the bedside manner of some surgeons I've met. The grandiosity as well.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Life isn’t always a matter of “better or worse”, things can sometimes just be different, and trying to compare them would be like trying to compare a Coke can and a string of Christmas lights - they may share some similarities, but not enough universally to be able to make a reliable comparison (just picked the two things that came to my eye as I was scanning my room haha). 

Arts has its pros and cons as a degree area, as does STEM. Not everyone is suited to STEM and not everyone is suited to Arts. Adcomms have had more than enough experience to know this, and trust that the subject, with all of the skill sets that come with it, that you’ve chosen to pursue for a degree is the one that you connect with most as a student and as a future lawyer. If that field is STEM, that’s fine, if it’s Arts, that’s good too. They offer very different skill sets that are valuable to law. 

3 hours ago, exocytosis646 said:

Let me expand...

Yes, law school is my backup, because it is significantly easier to get into than med school.

Come back in 4 years with a law school acceptance in hand and then we'll believe you, for now, I am skeptical. You don't write coherently and you are completely incapable of engaging with new information when it is presented to you. You must also be pretty naive to come onto a forum filled with law students and lawyers and shit all over the profession. Are you sure you didn't accidentally take a buzzfeed quiz instead of  a practice LSAT? 

Edited by albertabean
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I got to say there' s some truth in this. I am taking biomedical sciences and my friend is in psychology. I take her required courses as bird courses to boost my grades and my average for those courses is easily above 85%. You have no idea how hard it is to compete with all the arts students applying to law when organic chemistry, microbiology, and embryology are continuously wrecking my gpa😭

Edited by FutLawyer