JohnP

Undergraduate Programs: mine is harder than yours: The Great Debate

27 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

Right, I should have used slightly more qualified language. This topic is so incredibly uninteresting and irrelevant that I didn't bother to look at previous pages, but I'm unsurprised to see (to your credit) that @epeeist and @BlockedQuebecois posted. I should have written that only the most pedantic and anal law students or lawyers could be bothered with this bullshit.

Oh, and believe it or not it's possible to consider 0Ls who feel the need to debate this stuff to be ridiculous and irritating, without having any sense of superiority over non-lawyers/law students generally.

I mean, plenty of other prominent members from this forum (it feels weird to say that but I can't think of a better descriptor) beyond those two have chimed in on this topic.

• Like 2

It was my fault. I was trying to make a point about how there are different factors that might influence an admissions person deciding a 3rd year is capable, and I used stem vs fine arts as an example, and thereby starting this dumpster fire. It was a dumb example in hindsight, but if you look at the time I posted it was at like 3am when I should have been a sleep.

I am very ashamed and sorry!

Edited by legallybrunette3
  • Like 1

I feel this topic could have been settled by simply asking: has anyone ever even tried basket weaving?!

Sure. Sounds simple. But you need to know the right materials to use and how to prep them! It requires a great dose of dexterity and/or tiny hands! It takes patience. It requires having control and precision over the needle enough so you don't stab yourself! In short, if our comparable for an easy task is basket weaving, pretty much everything must be hard (or...maybe I am just bad at crafts).

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Just now, AllanRC said:

I feel this topic could have been settled by simply asking: has anyone ever even tried basket weaving?!

Sure. Sounds simple. But you need to know the right materials to use and how to prep them! It requires a great dose of dexterity and/or tiny hands! It takes patience. It requires having control and precision over the needle enough so you don't stab yourself! In short, if our comparable for an easy task is basket weaving, pretty much everything must be hard (or...maybe I am just bad at crafts).

Honestly, as soon as I thought back to that time I tried to learn the guitar, and the effort it took me to learn heart of gold, I knew it was settled.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

Right, I should have used slightly more qualified language. This topic is so incredibly uninteresting and irrelevant that I didn't bother to look at previous pages, but I'm unsurprised to see (to your credit) that @epeeist and @BlockedQuebecois posted. I should have written that only the most pedantic and anal law students or lawyers could be bothered with this bullshit.

Oh, and believe it or not it's possible to consider 0Ls who feel the need to debate this stuff to be ridiculous and irritating, without having any sense of superiority over non-lawyers/law students generally.

Your repeatedly posting in this thread, bringing up posts from over a year ago, clearly demonstrates how different you are...

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, epeeist said:

Your repeatedly posting in this thread, bringing up posts from over a year ago, clearly demonstrates how different you are...

Congrats; that's by far the shortest post I've ever seen from you. Try to write posts like this more often.

(Touche, though.)

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

Congrats; that's by far the shortest post I've ever seen from you. Try to write posts like this more often.

(Touche, though.)

You forgot the accent in touché. :twisted:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

In my defence my ONLY post in this thread was when I was drunk. Aside from today.

Also, please take this whole thread with a heaping grain of salt. I forgot that one of the early contributors was our pretend premed person who no longer posts here, and about 75% of everything they said was completely made up.

In other words, this thread is the perfect arena for this perrennial pissing match.

Continue.

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, lawstudent20202020 said:

Did you ever consider that you are 10 times worse at biochem

i mean i got an A- in biochem, and an A in every single arts course ive ever done lmaoo

The stereotype exists for a reason

58 minutes ago, legallybrunette3 said:

It was my fault. I was trying to make a point about how there are different factors that might influence an admissions person deciding a 3rd year is capable, and I used stem vs fine arts as an example, and thereby starting this dumpster fire. It was a dumb example in hindsight, but if you look at the time I posted it was at like 3am when I should have been a sleep.

I am very ashamed and sorry!

hahahaa all good

2 minutes ago, exocytosis646 said:

i mean i got an A- in biochem, and an A in every single arts course ive ever done lmaoo

The stereotype exists for a reason

so you are worse at biochem. Maybe you should consider switching to an arts major

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, undertheletter said:

As a philosophy major whose friends are finishing up their STEM degrees, I've noticed that while a STEM degree might be seen as more difficult (as a function of engaging with complex math and science), it's actually more feasible to excel in STEM courses than in arts courses. Grades above 90% (at least at U of T) are exceedingly rare in arts courses when compared to science and math courses (save for a few 'bird' courses or specialized arts courses that are taught by practitioners). This does not mean that the arts are harder per se, but it does mean that if your metric of difficulty tracks the final received grade, you can conceivably reach the opposite conclusion that arts courses are of greater difficulty than their STEM 'equivalents'.

Relatedly, the nature of these two subjects are (in my opinion) not worthy of comparison. In STEM, there is a given correct answer (most of the time), and you are often assessed according to your ability to reach these definite (and necessary) answers. There are no such answers in the arts. Your success becomes a function of your ability to make creative, insightful points and back them with compelling evidence such that your instructor is not only convinced of your argument, but is so convinced that they give you a high grade. There are many factors (distinct to the arts) that stand in the way of this. Beyond your basic skill of writing, the instructor might have an ideological disagreement, a personal bias, a subjective experience that refutes your claims etc. So when viewed in this way, assessment of one's performance in the arts is far more 'nebulous' when compared to the sciences. Again, this shouldn't be confused with inherent difficulty, but is a complicating factor to consider when trying to compare the two (without making a bald 'STEM is harder' statement). 

I do concede (based on my observations) that the workload of STEM degrees is much higher that arts degrees, and I don't question the challenge that the content presents for most students. But when I consider some core philosophy or political theory courses (think Horkheimer, Heidegger, Hegel etc.), I can't admit that the arts present fewer challenges even for students who are considered to be good readers and writers. 

This is a bit of a rant, but the point is that neither STEM nor humanities courses can meaningfully be said to be more difficult than the other. Often in the university setting, perceived and actual difficultly can depend on the instructor, the course content and most importantly, your own talents and abilities. I've simply pointed to some factors that ought to be considered before making the statement that STEM is unquestionably and obviously more difficult than the sciences.

ETA: realized that  @futurebirdlawyer made similar points, so my post might be redundant...kinda read the first few posts, got heated, and skipped to the end to make a comment lol

Yeah I completely agree with what you're saying. Difficulty is subjective on the person.

All i said was for me and some of the friends i know in sciences, arts courses are insanely easy for us. But then again, thats a small sample size

So i guess the confusion in this thread was that i was saying an arts degree is easier than STEM for every person, which it is not. I just meant for me- arts courses are a walk in the park

3 minutes ago, lawstudent20202020 said:

so you are worse at biochem. Maybe you should consider switching to an arts major

hell nah, why would i do an arts major- id be the laughing stock in my friend group

Plus my parents wouldnt want me doing an arts degree. In my country only ppl who arent smart enough for STEM do arts degrees...... ex: you need 90s to get into my stem degree, but only 70s for arts. Arts aint reputed lmaoo

Im not worse at bcem- bcem is much harder than any arts course in my opinion

I have thought about switching into an arts degree- since i know that would be an easy 4.0, but i care about job prospects/med school too, so an arts degree would be shit in that category

Edited by exocytosis646

11 minutes ago, exocytosis646 said:

All i said was for me and some of the friends i know in sciences, arts courses are insanely easy for us.

Given the extremely poor grasp of the English language that you have demonstrated throughout your posts here, I am skeptical of this.

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, lawstudent20202020 said:

Nah man, this person doesn't even want to go to law school they are just entertaining it as a back-up plan because it's so "easy to get into". Granted they are still in their first year of undergrad, but are 100% confident they will get into law with only 3 years (and are applying to schools that look at 3 years and 4 years the same, since those exist apparently mostly in Ontario), and have already scored an LSAT diagnostic of 169 without even trying at the young age of 17. 

They clearly know exactly what they're doing, and obviously so cognitively advanced that contemporary topics in art 1000 was an absolute breeze. 

Edited by legallybrunette3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, legallybrunette3 said:

Nah man, this person doesn't even want to go to law school they are just entertaining it as a back-up plan because it's so "easy to get into". Granted they are still in their first year of undergrad, are 100% confident they will get into law with only 3 years, and have already scored an LSAT diagnostic of 169 without even trying at the young age of 17. 

They clearly know exactly what they're doing, and obviously so cognitively advanced that contemporary topics in art 1000 was an absolute breeze. 

I wonder if they are the same person that wrote this brilliant reddit post https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/in-this-moment-i-am-euphoric

• Like 1