JohnP

Undergraduate Programs: mine is harder than yours: The Great Debate

On 5/30/2018 at 12:47 AM, theycancallyouhoju said:

@lioness I don't follow. Are you arguing that I'm right and music is another one of those programs that's harder than history? Because if so, I agree. It's a very different kind of challenge than math, even as there are overlaps. But yes, my friends in the music program worked very hard, showed great talent, were very committed and were reviewed harshly. None of those happened to me in philosophy at all. 

I was just riffing! But I suppose I'm saying that there are other degrees that don't fall neatly into the humanities/sciences divide, and that are harder than a simple arts or sciences degree. To address your point, I think that music is definitely harder than history or philosophy are (it involves history and philosophy as well as a lot of other things.) I don't know if it's harder than math or physics, but I think it's possible. 

Edited by lioness
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lioness said:

I was just riffing! But I suppose I'm saying that there are other degrees that don't fall neatly into the humanities/sciences divide, and that are harder than a simple arts or sciences degree. To address your point, I think that music is definitely harder than history or philosophy are (it involves history and philosophy as well as a lot of other things.) I don't know if it's harder than math or physics, but I think it's possible. 

Comparing a music degree to other subjects, in terms of objective difficulty, is well... difficult.  I really couldn't say myself, and I was a music major, who also took pre-med sciences. You are right to note that it does not fall neatly onto one side of any divide.  Advanced music theory and harmony can be pretty math-heavy, and I found many parallels to physics in terms of the abstract nature. It's also one of the only (few?) subjects that uses both right and left brain fairly equally.  

Edited by rebeccius
  • Like 1

Per @Ryn request/direction (is a polite request by a mod akin to a directive? :uriel:) not tainting another thread with this topic so necroing this one. But I came across a 5-year-old U of T Varsity student news article (that also refers to a 2006 study) that appears to have some actual stats that marks at U of T are lower than Ryerson or Carleton:

"...

Even within Canada, U of T’s grades are particularly low. A 2006 study found that students at UTSC got lower grades on average than counterparts at Carleton University or Ryerson University due to marking, not ability. While four per cent of UTSC students reported getting mostly As, 10 per cent of Carleton and Ryerson students reported the same. At UTSC, two-thirds of students reported mostly B-s or less, compared to 55 per cent of Ryerson and Carleton students.

The problem was bad enough that then-President David Naylor instituted an aggressive overhaul of the grading system responding to the concern that U of T students were struggling to get into graduate school at U of T as a factor.

Naylor’s overhaul may well have led to some progress, but it’s happened behind closed doors. U of T doesn’t release average annual grades, or the most common grade, or even the grade distribution...." [emphasis added]

https://thevarsity.ca/2014/11/24/its-time-to-stop-grade-deflation/

EDIT: think @TheAEGIS may be interested also.

Edited by epeeist

2 hours ago, epeeist said:

Per @Ryn request/direction (is a polite request by a mod akin to a directive? :uriel:) not tainting another thread with this topic so necroing this one. But I came across a 5-year-old U of T Varsity student news article (that also refers to a 2006 study) that appears to have some actual stats that marks at U of T are lower than Ryerson or Carleton:

"...

Even within Canada, U of T’s grades are particularly low. A 2006 study found that students at UTSC got lower grades on average than counterparts at Carleton University or Ryerson University due to marking, not ability. While four per cent of UTSC students reported getting mostly As, 10 per cent of Carleton and Ryerson students reported the same. At UTSC, two-thirds of students reported mostly B-s or less, compared to 55 per cent of Ryerson and Carleton students.

The problem was bad enough that then-President David Naylor instituted an aggressive overhaul of the grading system responding to the concern that U of T students were struggling to get into graduate school at U of T as a factor.

Naylor’s overhaul may well have led to some progress, but it’s happened behind closed doors. U of T doesn’t release average annual grades, or the most common grade, or even the grade distribution...." [emphasis added]

https://thevarsity.ca/2014/11/24/its-time-to-stop-grade-deflation/

EDIT: think @TheAEGIS may be interested also.

Convenient for students that they don't release annual grades, common grade, or distribution. Students can now claim they're in a tougher grading school without having to prove it, because they can't.

22 minutes ago, pzabbythesecond said:

Convenient for students that they don't release annual grades, common grade, or distribution. Students can now claim they're in a tougher grading school without having to prove it, because they can't.

Well, one could as easily say that those who claim it's not a tougher grading school can't prove it either. So the U of T can now claim they're not a tougher grading school without having to prove it, because they choose not to (even though they could, having access to their own data).

Now, if you want proof by a civil standard, as of 2019, commission a survey of students now, and collect data that way, to compare with what it was in 2006.

EDIT: "The evidence we show here suggests that a student who finds easier classes and therefore gets a higher raw GPA has greater chance of being
admitted to law school" 
here's a 2012 preliminary analysis using U of T data (provided by U of T) re admission to law school, advocating using an adjusted GPA for admission to law school, which confirms that for some programs there is a difference in difficulty and GPA (if one agrees with the methodology). See e.g. discussion pages 28-on which in fairness involves some extrapolation from data:

"...If the goal is to create incentives for students to take challenging courses,
however, our findings suggest that the raw GPA has potential flaws. The
adjusted GPA measure accord with intuition (higher, on average, than raw
GPAs for students in the sciences) and does a much better job in predicting
performance on an objective test, the LSAT. The adjusted GPA measures do
not, however, better predict admission into law school.
This happens even
though the admissions officers have every incentive to admit the academically
strongest students. While they may possibly use ad hoc adjustments to raw
GPAs to account for course difficulty (such bumping up GPAs of students in
hard majors), it seems the process nonetheless does not sufficiently reward
students whose adjusted GPAs are higher than their raw GPAs. The adjusted
GPA, on the other hand, systematically accounts for course difficulty and
does so based on applicants’ performance in contrast to ad hoc methods
which are imprecise
and based on experience with previous applicants with
similar characteristics.
Using an adjusted GPA improves incentives in two ways. The first is
subjective. Students who consider difficult classes may feel that they get no
“credit” for the greater difficulty of the course. If an adjustment process were
in place, it is plausible that students would feel like their greater effort and
risk is acknowledged and therefore validated.
The second is objective. If law school admissions used adjusted GPAs
in their admissions decision, students would literally get credit for taking
difficult courses. In contrast under the status quo in which raw GPAs are
used, the evidence we show here suggests that a student who finds easier
classes and therefore gets a higher raw GPA has greater chance of being
admitted to law school
...." [emphasis added]

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/bc27/b8be4ca151e789929d85be2f0142d00c14c3.pdf

Edited by epeeist

@epeeist Thanks for linking me into this thread.

One one hand, unless a person has taken courses in two different undergraduate universities, it's hard to say exactly what the academic penalty is for going to a "harder" school. We're left with some anecdotal and some statistical evidence to try to piece together what the penalty is, if there is one.

I'll tell this story, because it was my watershed moment:

I'd always heard from people that UofT was harder than other schools. I didn't pay much attention to it, even as I struggled through my own program. Towards the end of my tenure at UofT,  I'd gotten (through blood, sweat and tears) pretty good at figuring out when an essay would net me a B+/A- and when it wouldn't.

A buddy of mine from Ryerson in a tight spot asked me to help him re-work a poli-sci paper he had two days to complete. He was worried about failing the assignment. I did what I could over a weekend. I also knew that based on the level of research, the citations used, the sophistication of the arguments, and the way the thoughts were laid out, his final paper would be a best a B-, and most likely a C+. 

He got a B+. 

No one's been able to convince me since then that UofT isn't harder that at least *some* schools.

And that's without even considering all the students I know personally who literally fled UofT to finish their degrees in other schools and openly admit that it was because of UofT's exacting marking scheme. 

I think anyone who isn't willing to consider that students at universities not named UofT are getting an easier ride are doing so because they fear the implications of such an admission, not because it's not objectively plausible or even likely based on the evidence.

26 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

The Dean of U of T instituted reforms post-2006 study specifically designed to address the problems brought up in the study. 

Sure, but since they don't report on averages etc., we have only their word.

Also the 2012 paper, newer post-2006 data, the authors included a U of T statistician and got data from U of T, supports the view that - whether or not U of T as an institution is harder or not - that some programs, including sciences, are "harder" and should have an adjusted GPA for purposes of admission to law school (this is from skimming, I have not read the paper in detail).

EDIT: Also, does that mean that everyone who went before 2006 (including me) should get a retroactive grade increase? :rolleyes: And if I recall correctly you did sciences, so you should get a retroactive grade increase also? Not as much as me though... :twisted:

Edited by epeeist

8 hours ago, castlepie said:

Implying a Fine Arts degree is implicitly worse and/or easier than all STEM degrees...

well they arent wrong.

A stem degree is way harder than a fine arts degree. There is a reason why arts majors get shit on so hard lmaoo.

I have a few arts courses as electives, and they are easy asf compared to my science courses

8 hours ago, legallybrunette3 said:

I didn’t say it’s worse. 

I said (as one possible example of an inability to predict admissions)  it’s possible it might be seen as more reflective of a students ability to handle academically tougher material. I stand by that. I also say that as somebody that has two degrees, one in each. 

Congrats, and I find skating easier than swimming! You won't see me saying skating is inherently easier though.

1 hour ago, exocytosis646 said:

I did a practice diagnostic with no prep whatsoever and got a 169..... as a 17 yr old, so I am really confident in my abilities

And most of the schools im interested in view 3rd yrs and 4th yrs equally- so applying as a 4th yr would not make things easier.

If my grades are fine in 3rd yr- ima apply. Im actually writing the lsat the summer before 2nd yr- just cause im applying to UofA as a 2nd yr.... i know two people who got in as 2nd yrs, and im confident ill have similar if not better stats.

I do appreciate the honestly, thanks!

well they arent wrong.

A stem degree is way harder than a fine arts degree. There is a reason why arts majors get shit on so hard lmaoo.

I have a few arts courses as electives, and they are easy asf compared to my science courses

Honestly, you're such an incredible genius you would be better off going to the states for law school, given that they are more academically rigorous and better in absolutely every way possible and everyone shits on Canadian schools anyways. In fact, let me point you to https://www.top-law-schools.com/, they are much more worthy of your time. Hopefully one day you remember us plebs...

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

well they arent wrong.

Please forgive us mighty STEM overlord. We were fooled by your inability to construct proper sentences. If only we'd known that you'd taken *arts electives* and found them "easy asf". Having been properly chastened we will return to the arts pits where our ilk reside. 

Edited by SadNWO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

17 minutes ago, MountainMon said:

Congrats, and I find skating easier than swimming! You won't see me saying skating is inherently easier though.

Again, never said it’s easier. You might say that the skills you acquire from skating might demonstrate your ability to apply to a particular sports team.

I also never said for sure that admissions even would take that into account, just that some factors might influence a 3rd year acceptance . I know arts degrees are difficult , I know there are aspects that a stem person could never. That wasn’t my point. 

I could also add (e.g if your stem degree is from trump university vs your fine arts from Juilliard)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MountainMon said:

Honestly, you're such an incredible genius you would be better off going to the states for law school, given that they are more academically rigorous and better in absolutely every way possible and everyone shits on Canadian schools anyways. In fact, let me point you to https://www.top-law-schools.com/, they are much more worthy of your time. Hopefully one day you remember us plebs...

lmaoo im not saying im a genius

Just said that its pretty common amongst uni students that fine arts is much easier than STEM

this aint even a debate lol

Just now, exocytosis646 said:

lmaoo im not saying im a genius

Just said that its pretty common amongst uni students insecure and immature first years who haven't completed a semester of coursework* that fine arts is much easier than STEM

this aint even a debate lol

FTFY.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, SadNWO said:

Please forgive us mighty STEM overlord. We were fooled by your inability to construct proper sentences. If only we'd known that you'd taken *arts electives* and found them "easy asf". Having been properly chastened we will return to the arts pits where our ilk reside. 

ahahaha- i dont think id consider myself an overlord due to STEM

Id just say im in a harder degree

Well nice talking to you folks haha

I still havent learned much about aplying to uofC as a 3rd yr.... however i am still planning on applying to other schools as a 3rd yr.... and i guess uofC too- i dont have much to lose by trying ahaha

thanks guys

1 minute ago, MountainMon said:

FTFY.

i mean not saying arts is super easy- but compared to engg or biochem, its a walk in the park (atleast for me)

And most upper yrs ive talked to in sciences said that they wish they could do a arts degree to get an easy 4.0

Then again, you are right.... i havent experienced all arts courses and all that.... but this is just what most upper yrs have told me about the reputation of arts and all 

Sorry if ive offended you lmao... i guess it depends on person experiences too, but for someone like me... arts is much easier

21 minutes ago, SadNWO said:

ahaha no need to that... i dont consider myself an overlord either just cause im in a harder degree- everyone has their own skills and such....what i find easy- you may find hard, and vice versa

My biochem courses are ten times harder than all the arts courses imo- so not saying your degree is worse- just that in my personal opinion (and according to the stereotype of arts students) arts is rly easy to get good grades is.

All my friends in upper yr sciences are struggling to get 3.5 gpas in sciences, but have had all 4.0s/A+ in the Artsdegrees they've taken as electives

Edited by exocytosis646