Sign in to follow this  
Thermalstorm

2019/2020 Ottawa Articling Recruit

10 minutes ago, lawdedaw said:

I don't think they're hiring. I know one of their summer students, and he said the two of them plan on staying there. Didn't see anything advertised on their website, UOttawa internal website, or ViLaw Portal either. 

There was a document on the Source that contained a list of Ottawa firm's articling hiring intentions and on that document it indicated that Brazeau Sellar was not accepting applications. I also did not see anything on any of the above mentioned forums to indicate that they were recruiting either. 

2 hours ago, lawdedaw said:

I don't think they're hiring. I know one of their summer students, and he said the two of them plan on staying there. Didn't see anything advertised on their website, UOttawa internal website, or ViLaw Portal either. 

Well that was a waste of my application lol

Has anyone heard from the following: 

-Soloway Wright

-Fasken

-CCIJ

-Amnesty International

-Canada Without Poverty

-City of Ottawa

-Canadian Union of Public Employees

-Canadian Medical Association

-MAG

-Bayne Sellar Ertel Carter

-Connolly Obagi

-Goldblatt

-MBM

Please comment if you know if any of these places have made calls already. Thanks!

Goldblatt's summer student is staying I believe, so they won't be hiring for articling students...

23 hours ago, Thermalstorm said:

Has anyone heard from the following: 

-Soloway Wright

-Fasken

-CCIJ

-Amnesty International

-Canada Without Poverty

-City of Ottawa

-Canadian Union of Public Employees

-Canadian Medical Association

-MAG

-Bayne Sellar Ertel Carter

-Connolly Obagi

-Goldblatt

-MBM

Please comment if you know if any of these places have made calls already. Thanks!

Received a call from Canada Without Poverty!

Anyone heard from the National Judicial Institute?

On 6/18/2018 at 12:33 PM, ChynaDavis said:

Does anyone know if all articling offers have been made?

Yes, they all went out yesterday. 

1 hour ago, Thermalstorm said:

Yes, they all went out yesterday. 

From what I understood though I thought that someone who got an offer could ask for 24 hours to consider it? If that’s the case then it might be possible that someone who got an offer could consider it for a day then turn it down and so that firm could make an offer to another person on later days?

18 hours ago, msea said:

From what I understood though I thought that someone who got an offer could ask for 24 hours to consider it? If that’s the case then it might be possible that someone who got an offer could consider it for a day then turn it down and so that firm could make an offer to another person on later days?

That is more than likely not the case. Yes, technically, students have 24 hours to consider an offer but no one ever does that because of how inconsiderate it is to those still waiting. Everyone wants the process to move along smoothly and quickly. If you are considering one offer because you are waiting for an offer from somewhere you ranked higher on your list, then you are instructed to call that firm, ask them if all of their offers have gone out, and if they have, then you call the first firm back and accept their offer. It shouldn't take 24 hours to do that. In my case it took 5 minutes.

A lot of firms told me that they often call candidates ranked high on a wait list to let them know that there is a student considering an offer, who may ultimately decline, in which case they will be the next person to be called. 

I'm sorry if you didn't hear anything. Not all of the firms followed up with me either. This is a tough process and a hard pill to swallow. But there will be plenty more opportunities in the future in Ottawa, and there's always the Toronto recruit next month. Best of luck!

On 6/18/2018 at 12:33 PM, ChynaDavis said:

Does anyone know if all articling offers have been made?

If you're asking if all firms included in the recruitment process have offered articling interviews, the answer is no. Some firms/orgs are quick, others aren't. For example, in the same recruitment cycle, I interviewed in Oshawa, Barrie, Milton, and Newmarket mid-May and offers went out May 17th. I didn't get an offer to interview in Kitchener and Windsor until mid-June even though they have the same guidelines. 

15 hours ago, EK15 said:

If you're asking if all firms included in the recruitment process have offered articling interviews, the answer is no. Some firms/orgs are quick, others aren't. For example, in the same recruitment cycle, I interviewed in Oshawa, Barrie, Milton, and Newmarket mid-May and offers went out May 17th. I didn't get an offer to interview in Kitchener and Windsor until mid-June even though they have the same guidelines. 

Ottawa's articling recruit concluded already. All of the interview offers were made weeks ago and call day was on June 18. I believe that the previous poster was asking if all the offers for articling positions had been made, not whether interview offers were extended. There are, of course, plenty of other cities which will still be participating in articling recruits and plenty of articling opportunities arising in Ottawa at later dates, but the official structured recruit is finished. 

• Like 1

On 6/21/2018 at 9:49 AM, Thermalstorm said:

Ottawa's articling recruit concluded already. All of the interview offers were made weeks ago and call day was on June 18. I believe that the previous poster was asking if all the offers for articling positions had been made, not whether interview offers were extended. There are, of course, plenty of other cities which will still be participating in articling recruits and plenty of articling opportunities arising in Ottawa at later dates, but the official structured recruit is finished. 

Congrats on your offer! Thank you for clarifying!