Sign in to follow this  
aspiringyounglawyer

What are the chances?

Hey everyone,

So I have a CGPA of 2.77 and a 3.23 in my last two years of undergrad. I have outstanding extracurriculars as well. Ideally, what would I need to get on the LSAT to put me in the best position possible? Is it even possible?

Thank you!

• Like 1

Hey!

I'm not sure how helpful I can be because currently I'm only waitlisted for Ottawa and I don't fully understand their admission process.

However, with that said, I think it is possible and you shouldn't give up if your dream is to be a lawyer. I have seen people on the forum with lower GPAs be accepted to Ottawa with a high LSAT score (165 -170s). Unfortunately from what I saw, those people did tend to had higher GPAs for their last two years. Nevertheless, I wouldn't let that discourage you. Maybe you could take an extra year and finish with a higher annual GPA?

Also on a side note, from personal experience, I always ended up getting in my head when I aimed for a certain LSAT score. It may work for some people, but it always just stressed me out. So just study hard and give it your all!

Best of luck!

• Like 1

Well, Ottawa is a cGPA school, and I think that can only be overcome with an incredible LSAT (like a 170+). But write the test and see where you land. There's no point making assumptions.

What are your outstanding ECs?

I think you have a shot somewhere, but I'd manage your expectations. Your cumulative and your L2 aren't necessarily competitive, so you'll have to score quite well on the LSAT to make up for that. My guess is that you'd need anywhere from a 164 and upwards to make yourself a competitive candidate. Where exactly are you planning on applying? Alternatively, you could also return to school and do an MA degree, it would certainly make your application more competitive. Unfortunately, extracurriculars can only take you so far, and they typically serve more as an asset than as a replacement for competitive grades. 

Best of luck nonetheless! Was rejected from Ottawa and wait listed at Western last year with a cGPA of 3.34, an L2 of 3.84 and a 157 LSAT. Went back to do my MA, rewrote the LSAT and scored a 159. This year I've been admitted to DAL and waitlisted at Western and Windsor. I'd also say I had above-average ECs, so just to give you an idea. 

EDIT: If you haven't written the LSAT yet, I'd do a diagnostic just to see where you're at. People commenting which LSAT would make you competitive is moot if you haven't written the test for yourself. Feel it out, see which areas you need to improve on. 

Edited by Rolivera
Additional Info

The LSAT tends to be harder than many people anticipate. I suggest writing a diagnostic LSAT test (write the LSAT without any study) and see how you do, and then start studying for the LSAT and see how your practice LSAT scores are. If you do outstanding on the LSAT, you'll gain entry somewhere. I wouldn't be overly concerned whether it is Ottawa or not.