crh20

1L textbooks

For you upper year students, would you recommend buying new copies of 1L textbooks? Or are used copies/editions sufficient? I'm just trying to create a budget for the Fall and damn them things are expensive.  

I don't think I bought any books new in 1L. As long as there aren't major edition changes second hand is the way to go.

If you are comfortable ignoring others highlighting, buy used and save some money,

12 hours ago, Huxlei said:

If you are comfortable ignoring others highlighting, buy used and save some money,

IGNORE others highlighting? I USED others highlighting (to arrive at mediocre grades, buyer beware)

• Like 1

On 2018-05-18 at 11:15 AM, Radche said:

IGNORE others highlighting? I USED others highlighting (to arrive at mediocre grades, buyer beware)

The reason I say ignore others highlighting is because at the start of 1l people are reading and highlighting unnecessary things (at least I know I did). My highlighting did improve as time went in though.

I spent over $700 on brand new textbooks for 1L with my new and shiny line of credit. Don’t be me. There’s an entire class of 2Ls laying in wait to sell you their “lightly used” or “well-loved” editions. I think there’s a Facebook group for buying/selling texts.

• Like 2

For the first year courses, do all profs use the same textbooks? Or do different sections of the same course potentially use different ones?

2 hours ago, crh20 said:

For the first year courses, do all profs use the same textbooks? Or do different sections of the same course potentially use different ones?

Some are the same, some are different. Wait until you’re assigned your section & get your book list before buying. 

On 5/20/2018 at 11:12 AM, Radche said:

Some are the same, some are different. Wait until you’re assigned your section & get your book list before buying. 

To add to Radche's correct and awesome point. 

• Don't discount the optional textbooks. I personally found for some courses, such as property, the optional texts were more useful than the actual case reader. 

On 5/23/2018 at 4:12 PM, Dreamer89 said:

To add to Radche's correct and awesome point. 

• Don't discount the optional textbooks. I personally found for some courses, such as property, the optional texts were more useful than the actual case reader. 

Word. Those Irwin Law texts are the real deal. Also, Ziff for property.

• Like 1

Sorry to revive an old-ish thread. Did any upper years have trouble using older editions of texts for courses? I'm only talking about one edition removed from what is on the book list. 

3 hours ago, CarrotSticks said:

Sorry to revive an old-ish thread. Did any upper years have trouble using older editions of texts for courses? I'm only talking about one edition removed from what is on the book list. 

I honestly can't give you specifics - as I bought all my texts new, and was happier for it. But I know there are tons of students who bought older copies. I don't frankly remember hearing anyone complain about these issues. The library keeps a copy of all the first year texts, you can always compare the two editions....

Possible Issues
Note though your course syllabus will not line up with your text, some case commentary/notes will be different and you may have to find some of the newer cases online or in the library.  

On 9/9/2018 at 5:32 PM, Dreamer89 said:

I honestly can't give you specifics - as I bought all my texts new, and was happier for it. But I know there are tons of students who bought older copies. I don't frankly remember hearing anyone complain about these issues. The library keeps a copy of all the first year texts, you can always compare the two editions....

Possible Issues
Note though your course syllabus will not line up with your text, some case commentary/notes will be different and you may have to find some of the newer cases online or in the library.  

True a possible issue would be the course syllabus wouldn't line up. If it's one edition off, likely not too too much has changed. I bought all mine new because I'm a psychopath and will probably continue buying them new because I can't read anything highlighted by someone else. 

That being said, can almost guarantee anyone in your class who bought new would be happy to help you figure out the relevant chapters and share their book if the old edition is missing a case or two.

There are a few classes this year where they changed the textbook and talk about mostly different case law and topics.

On 9/9/2018 at 1:47 PM, CarrotSticks said:

What specific book?