DJ89

U of A Vs Dal

Posted (edited)

Currently at a stand still trying to decide between these two schools. I am a BC resident, however I have no real preference with regard to where I practice after. I am also unsure of which area of law id like to practice in. Perhaps I should just decide based on where id prefer to live for three years? While indeed subjective, any insight into which city might be more desirable to live in for three years would be much appreciated. I was also thinking that Alberta likely has a better legal market than Nova Scotia,  and thus if it is easier to find work in the province where you go to law school, maybe Alberta would provide me with more opportunity? 

Edited by DJ89

Based of what my cousins who live edmenton the city has grown considerably and is amazing now , I like bigger more urbanized cities myself so that' me, one of my other cousins attended Dalhousie for a year and she loved It, but she loved the smaller community feeling which is more prevalent in Halifax, it's great for a different expierence than a big city 

Both great schools, I think edmenton would be a bigger legal market than halifax and u of a will prob be better for western canada eg bc just because its easier to get there than from across the nation for interviews etc edmenton to Vancouver is not that bad in terms of taking flights, but I guess vice versa Dalhousie would be a closer trip to Toronto and cheaper than from edmenton ( I'm assuming would it?) I think U of A has cheaper tution too rite?

I'd probably go for u of a because of cheaper tution and I like bigger cities with more stuff available to you

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Timmies123 said:

Based of what my cousins who live edmenton the city has grown considerably and is amazing now , I like bigger more urbanized cities myself so that' me, one of my other cousins attended Dalhousie for a year and she loved It, but she loved the smaller community feeling which is more prevalent in Halifax, it's great for a different expierence than a big city 

Both great schools, I think edmenton would be a bigger legal market than halifax and u of a will prob be better for western canada eg bc just because its easier to get there than from across the nation for interviews etc edmenton to Vancouver is not that bad in terms of taking flights, but I guess vice versa Dalhousie would be a closer trip to Toronto and cheaper than from edmenton ( I'm assuming would it?) I think U of A has cheaper tution too rite?

I'd probably go for u of a because of cheaper tution and I like bigger cities with more stuff available to you

Thank you, appreciate the response!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Timmies123 said:

Hate to be that guy but it's Edmonton

• Haha 1

Hahah my spelling and grammar when using my cellphone is legendary in how horrible it is lol 

@420

I don't think Dal is worth more money to attend than U of A.

I'd MUCH rather live in Halifax than Edmonton (I live in Edmonton and attend U of A). Edmonton isn't as bad as some people say it is, but it's not great either. I don't plan to stay here long-term. Halifax, from what I've heard, is a charming city full of history and interesting things to see and do.

Everything else being equal, I'd rather be a U of A grad in Alberta than a Dal grad without roots in Nova Scotia. The job market is WAY larger in Alberta and I've heard most people from Dal go somewhere else to get a job. 

I had a similar choice to make and I went to the U of A.

• Like 1

I am in a very similar situation. I’ve been accepted to both Dal and UofA. Dal was originally a top choice because of its location and Environmental Law program. But UofA became more of a contender based on price and proximity to B.C. I basically need to figure out whether the $20,000 extra in tuition for Dal (plus higher cost of living) is worth the access to an environmental law program. Any insight would be much appreciated!

You might want to consider time zones as well as proximity. AB is only 1 hour ahead of B.C. where Nova Scotia is 4 hours ahead.