Sign in to follow this  
zebal

Summer before Lawschool?

Don't bother reading any of the pre-law books that are suggested unless reading them eases your 0L anxiety. My recommendation would be to just read something you enjoy. I read basically all of the suggested books and once I finished reading them I basically never thought about them again. If you honestly think you're going to sit down in your first midterm and write an exam answer based on what you remember from "getting to maybe", which you read 4+ months prior, you are some kind of insane.

On 5/17/2018 at 8:29 AM, 420 said:

If you wanna read something kinda law related, read letters to a young lawyer. Also, letters to a young poet. Both made me feel a lot more excited for September

I'd go with The Metamorphosis or The Trial. Neither will make you more excited for September, but they will more accurately capture the average lawyer's life. 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2018 at 9:18 PM, feraenaturae said:

I had a full time job all summer, until the week before. I seriously recommend it, even if the money isn't essential, because it passed the time and kept me from obsessing about the future and trying to prepare for something I couldn't prepare for. And even if you don't need the money, um, who couldn't use it? 

I still spent time reading various "how to succeed at law school" blogs and articles. I really think it helped a bit. But mostly it just kept me sane (tendency to obsess about the future and need to feel prepared) and gave me a bit more confidence.

I also stressed constantly about money and student loans. I think I cried about money and the expense of law school over a dozen times last summer. I don't recommend doing that because it was pointless and didn't help anything. 

I've had a full time job my whole damned life! This might be the only opportunity I ever have to do literally nothing for 3 months, because after this summer the hustle is on - for who knows how long but maybe forever. Screw work for now! I mean ...if you can. If you have to work this summer, I apologize for my lack of humility which I will now continue.  I finish work end of this month, and and most of my summer will be spent in and around my hammock. I don't know how to/if you can add a photo, but I have two hammocks in my garden oasis to choose from so I may have some tough mornings deciding which one to climb into with my coffee and reading material of choice....

I do have a trip to Nashville planned too, and may possibly road trip down the west coast with my kids, but i also may possibly not do that.  I'm already enjoying the lack of plans to be honest, I'm just going to stock up on sunscreen and hope for the best.

I also don't recommend crying about money, because as you said it helps nothing.  As someone who has operated within every tax bracket, I can tell you that money & tough times can come and go, but there are always ways to make it.  Law school is a huge expense, yes, but you are making an investment in your future.  That said, as an unemployed student, if you are funding your education through debt I would suggest reminding yourself periodically (without tears) that you have to pay back every penny you use plus interest. Try not to make it worse on yourself by not budgeting to use as little of that as possible. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Iheartcats said:

I've had a full time job my whole damned life! This might be the only opportunity I ever have to do literally nothing for 3 months, because after this summer the hustle is on - for who knows how long but maybe forever. 

You can chill during the summer after 1L too. I'm doing the exact same thing this summer that I did last summer... 

32 minutes ago, PerisoreusCanadensis said:

You can chill during the summer after 1L too. I'm doing the exact same thing this summer that I did last summer... 

I just might, but I am going to make efforts to line up some sort of summer position.  If it doesn't work out, I'm sure my garden won't mind me having the time off....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iheartcats said:

I've had a full time job my whole damned life! This might be the only opportunity I ever have to do literally nothing for 3 months, because after this summer the hustle is on - for who knows how long but maybe forever. Screw work for now! I mean ...if you can. If you have to work this summer, I apologize for my lack of humility which I will now continue.  I finish work end of this month, and and most of my summer will be spent in and around my hammock. I don't know how to/if you can add a photo, but I have two hammocks in my garden oasis to choose from so I may have some tough mornings deciding which one to climb into with my coffee and reading material of choice....

I do have a trip to Nashville planned too, and may possibly road trip down the west coast with my kids, but i also may possibly not do that.  I'm already enjoying the lack of plans to be honest, I'm just going to stock up on sunscreen and hope for the best.

I also don't recommend crying about money, because as you said it helps nothing.  As someone who has operated within every tax bracket, I can tell you that money & tough times can come and go, but there are always ways to make it.  Law school is a huge expense, yes, but you are making an investment in your future.  That said, as an unemployed student, if you are funding your education through debt I would suggest reminding yourself periodically (without tears) that you have to pay back every penny you use plus interest. Try not to make it worse on yourself by not budgeting to use as little of that as possible. 

I’ve cried plenty over money. Sometimes it does actually help - at least, for me, crying about it let me cleanse my system of tension and anxiety and focus myself on what I could do. But of course crying doesn’t actually change your situation factually. 

1 hour ago, PerisoreusCanadensis said:

You can, but most people are going to be wanting to do something they can put on their CV. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, providence said:

You can, but most people are going to be wanting to do something they can put on their CV. 

Shit, should I scratch "Professional Chiller" off my resume?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/16/2018 at 8:48 PM, TrqTTs said:

This brings up another question: many of you who have since finished law school often talk about how some people "get it" sooner than others in the context of law school exams and earning decent grades.  Other than Getting to Maybe, were there any books, tips or resources that you have found helpful for "finding your groove" in law school, or does it come down to just doing it and figuring it out yourself (with the help of generous upper-year mentors)?

First of all, I agree with Hegdis, just take the summer to chill, relax, and have fun. Law school can be stressful, anxiety-provoking, and challenging, so might as well enjoy your life before you jump into the deep end. At the risk of derailing the thread, to seriously answer your question, yes there were books that helped my understanding. But I DID NOT READ THEM DURING THE SUMMER (and neither should you).  Irwin's law books can help when you don't understand what's happening in class. Hogg's constitutional law book was also very helpful in first year. To be fair, having a basic understanding of the court system will be useful to know before you start class. But ... there are students in law school who are just naturally more inclined to understanding the law. The best you can do for yourself is to study hard, speak to upper years/your buddies, and then try your best to stay positive and remain confident.

• Like 1