zebal

Summer before Lawschool?

How is everyone spending/planning on spending their summer before law school starts in the fall?

I just got accepted and I'm not sure how to spend this precious 4 months!

Well, lord knows I haven't been able to secure a job yet, so shitposting and being a leech on the government for now.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Inconspicuous said:

Just don't be the gunners in the Facebook group already trying to find law related positions

Ugh, really? Gross. My year spent the whole summer planning drinking events. Highly recommend. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, zebal said:

How is everyone spending/planning on spending their summer before law school starts in the fall?

I just got accepted and I'm not sure how to spend this precious 4 months!

Enjoy it. Do whatever you want. Work if you'll need money or like the job. Travel if you can afford it. Veg, spend time with your loved ones, read for fun.

• Like 4

Currently trying to muster up the strength to keep writing my thesis. Other than that, trying to read as many books as possible and spending lots of time with family and friends before moving across the province.

• Like 3

I can summarize the advice from the last seven years of these exact posts: read “Getting To Maybe” and enjoy your last free summer doing what you want.

Read that novel, take that road trip, get laid and regret it, update your healthcare and prescriptions (glasses, meds, physical, dentist), and get some photos developed to pin on your wall. 

Get your mom or dad or grandparent or sibling to teach you how to cook that dish you love. Browse the sales rack at Banana Republic or Henry Rosens or whatever and get a suit that fits and makes you feel confident. Get your friends together and watch a marathon LOTR or go camping or hit the town and make some memories. 

Arrive fresh, motivated, happy, and supported. Learn and enjoy. 

• Like 10

Posted (edited)

Travelling :) (and reading Getting to Maybe)

Edited by JDLaw

6 hours ago, Inconspicuous said:

Just don't be the gunners in the Facebook group already trying to find law related positions

When I saw that I was like take it easy bro, it's only May. Drag queen post was also unexpected.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Hegdis said:

I can summarize the advice from the last seven years of these exact posts: read “Getting To Maybe” and enjoy your last free summer doing what you want.

Get the audiobook and relax.

I'm going on a big adventure from southern Mexico down to Nicaragua. :D

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

haha finding law related position was never on my list!

I think I'm going to start planning my trip to somewhere!! :lol:

Edited by zebal

On 5/12/2018 at 4:37 PM, bonkers said:

I'm going on a big adventure from southern Mexico down to Nicaragua. :D

Fucking right!  That's how you do 0L, good on you.

I for one am going to spend every breathing moment with my kids while I can. It's a close second...  :uriel:

On 5/11/2018 at 10:23 PM, Inconspicuous said:

Funny thing about keeners, it rhymes with weiners.  Coincidence?

If you wanna read something kinda law related, read letters to a young lawyer. Also, letters to a young poet. Both made me feel a lot more excited for September

This brings up another question: many of you who have since finished law school often talk about how some people "get it" sooner than others in the context of law school exams and earning decent grades.  Other than Getting to Maybe, were there any books, tips or resources that you have found helpful for "finding your groove" in law school, or does it come down to just doing it and figuring it out yourself (with the help of generous upper-year mentors)?

29 minutes ago, TrqTTs said:

Funny thing about keeners, it rhymes with weiners.  Coincidence?

I think not 

23 minutes ago, TrqTTs said:

This brings up another question: many of you who have since finished law school often talk about how some people "get it" sooner than others in the context of law school exams and earning decent grades.  Other than Getting to Maybe, were there any books, tips or resources that you have found helpful for "finding your groove" in law school, or does it come down to just doing it and figuring it out yourself (with the help of generous upper-year mentors)?

Just figure it out by doing- no books or resources or advance prep will be likely to help (in my opinion.) 

• Thanks 1

For the love of god don’t any of you dare read a case or try to “learn the law”. Savour these sweet precious moments where you get all the glory of being able to say you’re  “in law school” without any of the pressures and stresses that go with it 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I had a full time job all summer, until the week before. I seriously recommend it, even if the money isn't essential, because it passed the time and kept me from obsessing about the future and trying to prepare for something I couldn't prepare for. And even if you don't need the money, um, who couldn't use it? 

I still spent time reading various "how to succeed at law school" blogs and articles. I really think it helped a bit. But mostly it just kept me sane (tendency to obsess about the future and need to feel prepared) and gave me a bit more confidence.

I also stressed constantly about money and student loans. I think I cried about money and the expense of law school over a dozen times last summer. I don't recommend doing that because it was pointless and didn't help anything. 

• Like 3