Ripple

Ottawa Waitlisted 2018 JD (English)

Waitlisted on May 10.

LSAT: 154 Cgpa: 77% (UBC) and 3.01 (OLSAS calculated) due to a bad first year. L2: 88% and L3: 85% (UBC) Excellent EC's and work experience. I'm assuming references were strong.

7 hours ago, lawlebron said:

Waitlisted on May 10.

LSAT: 154 Cgpa: 77% (UBC) and 3.01 (OLSAS calculated) due to a bad first year. L2: 88% and L3: 85% (UBC) Excellent EC's and work experience. I'm assuming references were strong.

Congratulations. What category did you apply under?

• Like 1

Does anybody know how they rank the waitlisted applicant? I saw somebody with lower LSAT and GPA ranked higher than someone with higher LSAT and GPA  from previous posts.

22 minutes ago, Alexmiffy said:

Does anybody know how they rank the waitlisted applicant? I saw somebody with lower LSAT and GPA ranked higher than someone with higher LSAT and GPA  from previous posts.

They reevaluate your CGPA, LSAT, PS, EC(s), etc and give you a number. It’s basically holistic. So yes, you could have a 3.21 cgpa and a 155 lsat and super convincing PS whereas someone who has a 3.3 cgpa and 160 lsat and a PS that makes almost no sense and you can end up with a closer number. 

My question, though, is if Access applicants are prioritized on the waitlist over General applicants? 

Idk. I feel like lower stats + Access is almost equivalent to a higher stats person + General applicant. But Access with competitive stats is usually seen as overcoming adversaries and still succeeding so they might get a lower number. It’s so subjective though because it depends on the adversary and the program you had (biomedical mechanical engineering VS an general arts student). 

Thoughts? 

21 minutes ago, CrimNation said:

They reevaluate your CGPA, LSAT, PS, EC(s), etc and give you a number. It’s basically holistic. So yes, you could have a 3.21 cgpa and a 155 lsat and super convincing PS whereas someone who has a 3.3 cgpa and 160 lsat and a PS that makes almost no sense and you can end up with a closer number. 

My question, though, is if Access applicants are prioritized on the waitlist over General applicants? 

Idk. I feel like lower stats + Access is almost equivalent to a higher stats person + General applicant. But Access with competitive stats is usually seen as overcoming adversaries and still succeeding so they might get a lower number. It’s so subjective though because it depends on the adversary and the program you had (biomedical mechanical engineering VS an general arts student). 

Thoughts? 

thanks for the reply.

3 minutes ago, zoinksjinkies1994 said:

Does anyone have info on transfers? (How many they accept, what timelines are, etc). Just finished 1L at another Canadian law school. B+ average, Masters degree, good ECs, strong references + personal ties to Ottawa. 

Not the place to ask. You can start a new thread.

• Like 1

Does anyone know how many spots left now for the waitlisted candidates from previous experience? I saw the FB group for 2018 accepted group now just over 100. So nearly 200 spots left?Thanks

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Alexmiffy said:

Does anyone know how many spots left now for the waitlisted candidates from previous experience? I saw the FB group for 2018 accepted group now just over 100. So nearly 200 spots left?Thanks

wishful thinking

There may be a handful of spots just opened up from those who declined recently. 

1 hour ago, Alexmiffy said:

Won't know how many spots there are until the rankings come out. The FB group almost certainly provides an incomplete sample.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Luckycharm said:

wishful thinking

There may be a handful of spots just opened up from those who declined recently. 

Thanks for the reply. Just curious the admission staff have summer vacation recently or not? Hope they will send out offers as quickly as they can.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, capitalttruth said:

Won't know how many spots there are until the rankings come out. The FB group almost certainly provides an incomplete sample.

Hope the waitlist is not so long.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, capitalttruth said:

Alexmiffy means how many spots are left for acceptance. Not how many are currently on the waitlist. 

1 hour ago, Alexmiffy said:

I agree with LuckyCharm but I also wanted to point out that I am sure there are people who got accepted but either didn’t know about the group page yet or don’t even have fb. So the “200 spots left” is just a ball park. 

• Like 1

Waitlisted back on May 11th...

B2 or L20, 3.8/4.0

CGPA 3.0/4.0

5 plus years employment with government

• Like 1

13 hours ago, capitalttruth said:

Hopefully there are a good number of offers to be sent out this summer. 

20 at least and hopefully over 100 by Aug 31

• Like 1

My girlfriend received an offer early last month. It formally outlined that she needed to have her deposit paid by May 25th. I think that's the date that all deposits were due for all offers. Certainly not everyone would have paid the deposit (in other words, accept the offer) so  that opens up slots for us on the waitlist. I hope they send us an update soon. Best of luck everyone! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, e1000rr said:

My girlfriend received an offer early last month. It formally outlined that she needed to have her deposit paid by May 25th. I think that's the date that all deposits were due for all offers. Certainly not everyone would have paid the deposit (in other words, accept the offer) so  that opens up slots for us on the waitlist. I hope they send us an update soon. Best of luck everyone! 

So did your girlfriend pay the deposit? 

12 hours ago, CrimNation said:

So did your girlfriend pay the deposit? 

She ended up paying for it. I'm also on the waitlist for U of Ottawa 

14 minutes ago, e1000rr said:

She ended up paying for it. I'm also on the waitlist for U of Ottawa 

Oh nice, what are your stats?