Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
muskokabound

Simple tips to ace 1L

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Meh, I (literally) never did.

I did but partly to get to know them for references, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Meh, I (literally) never did.

I'm on my phone right now so I can't quote the other thread but you categorically stated that you go to office hours.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, solas said:

Are canned answers a thing people actually have time for? Jeez, I barely even have time to review all the material before the exam, let alone do practice exams or pre-write answers. I really don't feel like you need to do all this extra stuff to have an A average.

The person I know focused less on building summaries and instead did tons of old exams. Obviously, that strategy doesn't work so well if there aren't any old exams available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, harveyspecter993 said:

I would suspect that going to office hours play a role.

Yeah, I dunno how much correlation there is. My two best marks were 1) in a class where I literally went to office hours twice over the entire year and 2) a class where I never went to office hours. I did ask a tonne of questions in class/review sessions for both of them, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, bernard said:

Do assignments count for the majority of your grades at your school? 

He's at Osgoode, so I assume he's probably talking about legal process/civpro, which is a year-long course that has regular assignments worth a good chunk of the final mark. That, and ethical lawyering, are the two courses I can recall that didn't have 100% exams.

27 minutes ago, muskokabound said:

Diplock?! You are still here?! I remember you from 2010! Dude you need to get a life.

Posting on here and having a life aren't mutually exclusive? :roll:

9 minutes ago, harveyspecter993 said:

I would suspect that going to office hours play a role.

Maybe. I don't recall many people who did, some of whom won course prizes. I think you have enough opportunities to ask questions in class, or just afterward (or during a break) that you don't need to actually go to a prof's office hours to do well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"and in law some have barely spent time in actual legal practice..."

This is highly accurate. The non-practicing corp law prof regurgitating simple concepts has no idea how to complete any type of transaction because they articled, maybe did one yr at Yale, then got a sweet gig regurgitating simple concepts, as most of law is. Anyway Diplock et al (those who apparently took offence to my original post) are profs and/or law school admin with plenty of time to hang out anonymously on a message board it appears. Must be nice.

 

Edited by muskokabound

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, harveyspecter993 said:

I'm on my phone right now so I can't quote the other thread but you categorically stated that you go to office hours.

Uhm, which thread? The only mention I recall making of office hours was this thread, in which I joked that I actually read these forums and don't go to office hours: 

If I stated elsewhere that I did, my bad. I don't do office hours. Never have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, providence said:

I did but partly to get to know them for references, etc.

Fair. I get to know profs in other ways (read: being the usual, loud, opinionated BQ you all love to hate, but in class!) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Uhm, which thread? The only mention I recall making of office hours was this thread, in which I joked that I actually read these forums and don't go to office hours: 

If I stated elsewhere that I did, my bad. I don't do office hours. Never have. 

There seems to have been some miscommunication. I interpreted that as you saying you go to office hours.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, muskokabound said:

"and in law some have barely spent time in actual legal practice..."

This is highly accurate. The non-practicing corp law prof regurgitating simple concepts has no idea how to complete any type of transaction because they articled, maybe did one yr at Yale, then got a sweet gig regurgitating simple concepts, as most of law is. Anyway Diplock et al (those who took offence to my original post) are profs and/or law school admin with plenty of time to hang out anonymously on a message board it appears. Must be nice.

 

Pretty sure Diplock isn't a prof but in practice, as are most lawyers posting here. I think there's a couple of profs who post occasionally, but I don't see them around very much. I'm not entirely sure what your point was in making this thread, other than so you can have an excuse to call people out or something. Which is weird.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Fair. I get to know profs in other ways (read: being the usual, loud, opinionated BQ you all love to hate, but in class!) 

Do people get annoyed at that? Do they try to refute your statements, which then results in a mini debate? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, maybe OP can go back to his or her original account and then we can *all* point at each other and make silly faces and be old and lame together!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Recent Posts


×
×
  • Create New...