bagreenberg1

Law and Religion essays

Looking to see if anyone has old topics, papers, research in any fields related to Law and Religion. Looking for any inspiration out there. Mainly have been looking at the intersect of women's rights in correlation with religion but am open to any and all topics and papers. Also looking for material to assist me in the writing of my first journal type research!

2 hours ago, bagreenberg1 said:

Looking to see if anyone has old topics, papers, research in any fields related to Law and Religion. Looking for any inspiration out there. Mainly have been looking at the intersect of women's rights in correlation with religion but am open to any and all topics and papers. Also looking for material to assist me in the writing of my first journal type research!

"Witches: Should they be Burned or Drowned?"

• Like 5

2 hours ago, bagreenberg1 said:

Wouldn't the SCC decision on TWU when it comes out give fertile ground, one way or the other, for analysis?

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, maximumbob said:

"Witches: Should they be Burned or Drowned?"

Reminds me of that Monty Python sketch about determining who is a witch: "What do we do with a witch? Burn her! What else do we burn? Wood. And what does wood do? Floats on water. And what else floats on water? A duck. Therefore, if we want to find out if someone is a witch, we must see if she weighs the same as a duck!"

Edited by thegoodlaw
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thegoodlaw said:

Reminds me of that Monty Python sketch about determining who is a witch: "What do we do with a witch? Burn her! What else do we burn? Wood. And what does wood do? Floats on water. And what else floats on water? A duck. Therefore, if we want to find out if someone is a witch, we must see if she weighs the same as a duck!"

She turned me into a newt...... I got better 

1 hour ago, epeeist said:

Wouldn't the SCC decision on TWU when it comes out give fertile ground, one way or the other, for analysis?

Yes. Unless the SCC turns it into 100 paragraphs of why deference is needed, with only a few paragraphs devoted to the substance of the issue.

Might want to check out Benjamin Berger's research.

• Like 1

US court dissent Jehovah witness regarding refusal of blood transfusion. (one shall not demand wrong medical service )

United States v. George, 239 F. Supp. 752 (D. Conn. 1965)

South Africa Supreme court Judgment dissent Jehovah witness regarding refusal of blood transfusion.

Neutral Citation:  ES v AC (SA 57-2012) [2015] (24 June 2015)

Japan 

http://itetsu.jp/main/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/7-7kato.pdf

Edited by akulamasusu

Richard Moon at U of Windsor writes on s.2(a) of the Charter -- he's someone to read.

The issue of indigenous Religion Right vs Aboriginal Right and the interplay there of 

• Like 1

The concept of equality as is intersects with overt expression of religion eg niquabs, turbans, ceremonial or symbolic items - and how or if (or how much) these expressions should be regulated by the government. And which level of government. 

42 minutes ago, Hegdis said:

The concept of equality as is intersects with overt expression of religion eg niquabs, turbans, ceremonial or symbolic items - and how or if (or how much) these expressions should be regulated by the government. And which level of government. 

I'm of course reminded of Québec and displays of crosses or crucifixes, and Bohemia, saying (or more, regulating?) that crosses should be displayed in government buildings (which if I recall, and rightly so, led to some objection from Roman Catholic officials there, i.e. requiring displays of crosses or crucifixes is not exactly appreciating the meaning of the cross!).

Also there was a meeting in the US between Pope Francis and Sikh leaders which had to be cancelled because the Secret Service, in charge of security for a visiting head of state like the Pope, would not allow kirpans.

On 5/7/2018 at 1:24 PM, bagreenberg1 said:

Definitely niqabs and testimony in court, ie. the NS case. Or polygamy. Or Catholic schools and discipline of teachers who have abortions or get pregnant out of wedlock. Abortion in general. 

I always found that the Supreme Court Law Review was a great starting point for researching a paper.