Eeee

The same 5 people talking in threads

Is like kudzu. It would be 'useful' if there was like a shadowban where if you reply more than say three times to a thread then your posts can only be seen by people who have also replied >3 times.

Or this forum just needs a chatroom for people to have their pissing contests.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don't really see anything wrong with people commenting repeatedly on the same thread... what good would be served by limiting the number of replies?

• Like 3

Honestly, I just see it interfering with people's ability to develop their thoughts through dialogue...

• Like 6

Or add things that they only think of after already posting a few times.

• Like 8

Few negative and arrogant people who post 24*7 making me feel like leaving this forum forever. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

There's an "ignore user" feature - does that help? I've never used it, because I'm a very fast reader, and even someone I despise may nonetheless say something interesting or useful (just as someone I like may make bad posts...) - I think there's far too much ignoring of those one disagrees with in today's world, making compromise difficult if not impossible (politically or otherwise).

Of course, it's possible that those to whom this advice is directed have already enabled this feature with respect to me or others... :rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Demander said:

Or add things that they only think of after already posting a few times.

hilarious you posted an additional two times, that had to be on purpose, lol! noice!

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, epeeist said:

There's an "ignore user" feature - does that help? I've never used it, because I'm a very fast reader, and even someone I despise may nonetheless say something interesting or useful (just as someone I like may make bad posts...) - I think there's far too much ignoring of those one disagrees with in today's world, making compromise difficult if not impossible (politically or otherwise).

Of course, it's possible that those to whom this advice is directed have already enabled this feature with respect to me or others... :rolleyes:

I use the ignore feature. I use it sparingly, and not just because someone disagrees with me. It's more when someone posts dozens of times over the span of a few days and I'd like to read the site without watching the same dead horse being unceremoniously beaten across the all activity page. I agree that it's better to read dissenting views. But when they've repeatedly made their views known on a topic, it's nice to have a break from those views without leaving the site altogether. Also, you typically see the person's views quoted in other posters' responses. And I usually end up reading their posts anyway. But when someone goes on an opinion rampage, I like having the freedom to read or not.

Edited by realpseudonym
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, epeeist said:

Didn't know this feature exist. I should definitely use it. I am all up for debate if it is productive and constructive, I actually prefer to know other views than my own.  

Posted (edited)
On 4/22/2018 at 4:09 PM, epeeist said:

- I think there's far too much ignoring of those one disagrees with in today's world, making compromise difficult if not impossible (politically or otherwise).

It's not about disagreement. The current vogue in megaposting appears to be writing tangential, autobiographical screeds that have really nothing to do with providing accurate, helpful advice to the OP and everything to do with self-aggrandizement and tweaking of other megaposters.

Edited by Eeee
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 4/22/2018 at 11:42 AM, Jaggers said:

This is why Omph left.

Well, that and the continued sexism, homophobia and various "OMG HOW DARE YOU SUGGEST THAT I AM THAT" responses when she tried to rephrase the topic for the poster to understand why something may not have been too kosher to say.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

It'd be useful if posters in this thread would come out and say specifically who they're talking about.

Edited by chaboywb
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, chaboywb said:

It'd be useful if posters in this thread would come out and say specifically who they're talking about.

Me, prov, MB, etc. It’s interestingly timed, since this may be the point in time where we’ve gone at each other the least since I joined. @providence and I in particular have gotten a lot better at not talking past each other and understanding the others points (my idiocy last night excluded).

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Eeee said:

It's not about disagreement. The current vogue in megaposting appears to be writing tangential, autobiographical screeds that have really nothing to do with providing accurate, helpful advice to the OP and everything to do with self-aggrandizement and tweaking of other megaposters.

Well, my post in this thread was the first one with specific, accurate, helpful advice using already-existing (not suggested) features of the board... :uriel:

Oops, was that self-aggrandizing and tweaking other posters? :twisted:

• Like 4

5 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Me, prov, MB, etc. It’s interestingly timed, since this may be the point in time where we’ve gone at each other the least since I joined. @providence and I in particular have gotten a lot better at not talking past each other and understanding the others points (my idiocy last night excluded).

Your multi-post argument over "it's funny" was basically a greatest hits/reunion tour :). But it's good to get the band back together sometimes.

I'm not sure that it's just the same five people. For however long I've been reading the forum (years? I think years. I was a lurker before I started posting), there have been people who have stopped by and argued like their lives depended on it for a few threads. Most recently, it was the guy who thought Osgoode was overrun by SJWs and that the hiring system was fundamentally unfair. But I guess those posters usually flame out and leave, or contribute in a more sustainable way.

• Haha 1