Sign in to follow this  
Joeshmoe123

Articling at a Bank

Hello all.

I'm considering pursuing articling at a bank. Does anyone have any experience in this? What is it like compared to articling at a big law firm? What are the hours like? What are the salary ranges one can expect at a big six bank in Toronto?

No experience but being in a bank's legal department is going to be decent experience as banks have to deal with everything from HR to corporate stuff to various banking regulations.

7 minutes ago, AnonLaw said:

No experience but being in a bank's legal department is going to be decent experience as banks have to deal with everything from HR to corporate stuff to various banking regulations.

Thanks for the reply! I figured it would be a good place to article. Do you think, for example, if I worked Legal at a Bank for 2-4 years and then tried for a big law firm job that I would have a realistic shot, or do they only hire individuals with private law practice experience? 

2 minutes ago, Joeshmoe123 said:

Thanks for the reply! I figured it would be a good place to article. Do you think, for example, if I worked Legal at a Bank for 2-4 years and then tried for a big law firm job that I would have a realistic shot, or do they only hire individuals with private law practice experience? 

Aside from money why do you want to go into BigLaw?

1 minute ago, AnonLaw said:

Aside from money why do you want to go into BigLaw?

I don't really know if I do at this point. Just kinda wondering what kind of career paths articling (and then hopefully) working at a bank's legal department would afford me in the future. 

The big law firms have a model of hiring loads of summer students and articling students, then hiring those people as their 1st year associates. You can lateral in as a called lawyer. The banks themselves probably differ, so your being at a bank could be anywhere from 1 - 100 lawyers. So you could be working for one guy or being effectively in a big law firm that just has one client.

• Like 1