feblsatquestion

Potential Careers/Jobs for JD/MPP students?

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone,

Just a bit of a back story: I was initially inclined to apply to law school around September of last year, but, over the course of several months have had a bit of a change in interests. I'm currently employed in the public sector and have really liked working here. In order to further my career interests within this sector, I chose to apply to the MPP program at U of T and recently secured admission. I will be attending the program this fall. I do, however, still hold an interest in attending law school at some point within the next 2-5 years.  

Here's my question: I've read previous threads on the combined JD/MGA program, and it was pretty clear to me that there are little to no employers that look for individuals who hold such degrees (or, rather, there are limited careers within the "international law" realm). I was wondering if it's a similar case for students holding a JD/MPP? As I understand it, positions at the MAG and Justice Department might tend to favor those who hold (or are pursuing) such degrees. Am I incorrect in understanding so?

Looking forward to your responses!

Edited by feblsatquestion

I don't think employers favour these degrees - they're cash grabs. MAG and Justice want strong students with good grades and demonstrated interest in the subject area. Your masters can't hurt and may help, but it's really your law school resume that is going to determine whether you get one of those jobs. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, providence said:

I don't think employers favour these degrees - they're cash grabs. MAG and Justice want strong students with good grades and demonstrated interest in the subject area. Your masters can't hurt and may help, but it's really your law school resume that is going to determine whether you get one of those jobs. 

Thanks for your reply, providence! As a follow-up, would you say a JD/MPP is a cash grab the way a JD/MGA might be? Additionally, and this might be naive of me, but wouldn't prior knowledge and experience in the public sector be attractive to employers for the aforementioned positions and/or showcase a demonstrated interest in the subject area? This is, of course, assuming one's grades aren't noncompetitive (which I understand is by no means a walk in the park).