JMya

Osgoode Housing - one night needed

This is a long shot, but I am a Canadian incoming Osgoode student (Class of 2021) living abroad and will fly to Toronto on July 17th. However, on the evening of July 17th, my flight arrives at Toronto airport at ~7:30pm/8pm and by the time I arrive on York campus the check-in for York Apartment will be closed...( as York Housing told me)

I am wondering if there are any fellow classes (Class of 2021) or senior law students whose place is also at Osgoode Chambers that can allow me to crash for that one night on July 17th? Will pay you in good company and European souvenirs. It will help a lot! And the next morning of July 18th I will go and check into my own apartment (when I get offers from York Housing for July 18th). Thanks a lot in advance! PM me if you can kindly help! 

I mean, what's stopping you from crashing in the airport if need be?

There are hotels on Yorkgate road which is a short taxi ride to Osgoode

I think there is a Holiday Inn Express on Yorkgate Road. Under $120

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the suggestion! 

Edited by JMya

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, RNGesus said:

I mean, what's stopping you from crashing in the airport if need be?

I'd prefer not after a 10+ hours flight... 

Edited by JMya
  • Like 1

Nevermind, I found someone (a current Osgoode law student) already :)

Posted (edited)

Hi,

Would you mind sharing when the check-in will be closed according to York Housing?

I am also flying from abroad so I am facing the same problem. I haven't bought my flight ticket because I want to move in on the day I arrive, and I am now not sure whether arriving at Pearson at 2:30 pm is early enough. 

Edited by Mocha
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Mocha said:

Hi,

Would you mind sharing when the check-in will be closed according to York Housing?

I am also flying from abroad so I am facing the same problem. I haven't bought my flight ticket because I want to move in on the day I arrive, and I am now not sure whether arriving at Pearson at 2:30 pm is early enough. 

Me too. I haven't bought my ticket yet because I don't know what time the housing office closes. I hope we get an answer. If not, I'll have to call. By the way, do you happen to know how long the drive from Pearson to Osgoode is?

19 hours ago, Mocha said:

Hi,

You should contact York Housing.

Arriving at 2:30 Pm on a weekday ? 

You have to wait for for luggage, go through Customs and possible rush hours traffic. There is a strike at York and the picket line is up till 3:30 but York Housing is outside the picket line. Passy is not but you can walk over from York Housing.

The earliest you can get there will probably be around 4pm but the latest is hard to predict because of rush hour traffic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, harveyspecter993 said:

Me too. I haven't bought my ticket yet because I don't know what time the housing office closes. I hope we get an answer. If not, I'll have to call. By the way, do you happen to know how long the drive from Pearson to Osgoode is?

The drive shouldn't take more than twenty minutes from Pearson to Os!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

It's about a 15-20 minute drive from Pearson to York. I don't imagine there would be much rush hour traffic on that route.

Edited by Parvati
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, harveyspecter993 said:

I emailed the Housing people and they gave we a website link (http://studenthousing.info.yorku.ca/2015-york-apartments-move-in-information/). According to this, the office hour is 9:00 am to 6:30 pm.

And thank you to @FoG and @Parvati. So I assume the best way is to take a taxi from the airport? BTW the  public transportation direction provided by York is crazy (http://yorkinternational.yorku.ca/new-students/arriving-in-toronto/). I wouldn't want to do that with all my luggage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Luckycharm said:

You should contact York Housing.

Arriving at 2:30 Pm on a weekday ? 

You have to wait for for luggage, go through Customs and possible rush hours traffic. There is a strike at York and the picket line is up till 3:30 but York Housing is outside the picket line. Passy is not but you can walk over from York Housing.

The earliest you can get there will probably be around 4pm but the latest is hard to predict because of rush hour traffic.

Thanks. This is helpful. I don't feel comfortable about arriving at 2:30 anyway, but that's the earliest I can get. All the options available for me are either arriving in the afternoon or in the evening. Perhaps I will stay somewhere else for the night and do the check in next morning.

1 hour ago, Mocha said:

Thanks. This is helpful. I don't feel comfortable about arriving at 2:30 anyway, but that's the earliest I can get. All the options available for me are either arriving in the afternoon or in the evening. Perhaps I will stay somewhere else for the night and do the check in next morning.

you can book a hotel near Osgoode with option to cancel before 6pm

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mocha said:

I emailed the Housing people and they gave we a website link (http://studenthousing.info.yorku.ca/2015-york-apartments-move-in-information/). According to this, the office hour is 9:00 am to 6:30 pm.

And thank you to @FoG and @Parvati. So I assume the best way is to take a taxi from the airport? BTW the  public transportation direction provided by York is crazy (http://yorkinternational.yorku.ca/new-students/arriving-in-toronto/). I wouldn't want to do that with all my luggage.

Looks like I'll have to stay in a hotel on my first night in Toronto. I've been looking at flights and there's no way I can make it to York by 6:30 pm unless I take a ridiculously early flight.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Mocha said:

Yeah there'll be a bunch of taxis at taxi stands at each gate. Just line up and the attendant will get you one. It's a set fare by zone, but I've only ever gone downtown so I'm not sure how much it would cost to get to Osgoode (for reference, I live about 45 mins by car from Pearson and I think it costs $60). You're right, there is public transit but going on the TTC with 8 months worth of luggage would be hell, plus it would probably take you closer to 45 minutes.

Edited by Parvati

On 2018-05-28 at 10:49 PM, Mocha said:

Hi,

Personally, I would take the UP Express from Pearson to Union station (20-25 min), transfer to TTC and take that line all the way up to York (40-45min).  It might take a little longer, but you could know with certainty you'll arrive in time to check-in. Even if you wait for luggage at Pearson for an hour, that'll put you up at York for 5:00pm at the latest.  I also think you'll be fine to taxi it to York with lots of time to spare.  

Take a taxi. Travelling on the TTC with luggage is a pain, for you and for your fellow passengers.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rebeccius said:

Personally, I would take the UP Express from Pearson to Union station (20-25 min), transfer to TTC and take that line all the way up to York (40-45min).  It might take a little longer, but you could know with certainty you'll arrive in time to check-in. Even if you wait for luggage at Pearson for an hour, that'll put you up at York for 5:00pm at the latest.  I also think you'll be fine to taxi it to York with lots of time to spare.  

Don't take this advice

Take a taxi

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Luckycharm said:

Don't take this advice

Take a taxi

The only time you should ever use transit with luggage is if you only have one piece of small hand luggage.