Sign in to follow this  
Zina

Quitting 2L Offer

1 minute ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Out of curiosity, how would you feel if they fired you a month ago, citing the two weeks notice clause? Would you feel that they lived up to their end of the bargain? 

This happens...

1 minute ago, Zina said:

Applications for both firms went it at the same time. One interview process just happened earlier than the other.

And once you accepted the first offer, you were not eligible to accept the second. 

• Like 3

Just now, Zina said:

This happens...

Yeah, and no one is saying it is right for a firm to do that. But a firm hasn't done that to you. You, the person with more to lose if you don't get licensed or get a bad reputation, are proposing to do it to a firm. 

- really didn't mean to turn this into an argument or debate about legal ethics. Moreso just looking for advice!

Edited by Zina

Just now, Zina said:

Well folks - really didn't mean to turn this into an argument or debate about legal ethics. Moreso just looking for advice!

And you got unanimous advice - turn down the second firm explaining you already took an offer (but you can certainly let them know you would still like to be considered for articles as your position does not offer them) and work at the first firm as you agreed to. That is your only choice.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, providence said:

And you got unanimous advice - turn down the second firm explaining you already took an offer (but you can certainly let them know you would still like to be considered for articles as your position does not offer them) and work at the first firm as you agreed to. That is your only choice.

Didn't know we were in a dictatorship! 

7 minutes ago, Zina said:

Let's walk away from summering for a moment... would you take articles at $33,000 or $75,000? You have $100k of student debt...

You're risking tarnishing your non-existent reputation in a small professional community over a few thousand dollars this summer? It's just a better paying 2L summer job. It isn't going to significantly help to ease your debt load. You can always work your way up through the articling recruit & later on. 

I get that you're in a shitty situation and the temptation is there to take the money & run with it. But take a step back and think of it from a long-term career perspective. The advice everyone is giving you is well-founded, you should follow LSO code. Unless of course, you really don't care on whether your $100k ends up in a license. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Zina said:

4 minutes ago, Zina said:

Didn't know we were in a dictatorship! 

Welcome to the profession?  It comes with a bunch of ironclad rules.

You aren't going to run into a lawyer who tells you anything other than "you need to comply with the law society rules" and the law society has a bunch of rules that apply to summer recruitment in toronto.

Don't fuck the start of your career up over a higher salary.  

Edited by kurrika
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, providence said:

And once you accepted the first offer, you were not eligible to accept the second. [emphasis added]

Just now, providence said:

And you got unanimous advice - turn down the second firm explaining you already took an offer (but you can certainly let them know you would still like to be considered for articles as your position does not offer them) and work at the first firm as you agreed to. That is your only choice. [emphasis added]

100% this. OP is not eligible to accept the 2d offer anyways. The 2d offer is conditional on OP being eligible to accept that offer. 

It is not too difficult to imagine a situation where (1) OP declines the 1st offer and accepts the 2d offer, and (2) 2d offer is voided because OP is out of bounds with respect to the LSUC/LSO recruitment rules. In fact, given that all the student coordinators/HR people all know each other and talk to each other... OP will probably get burned by the second firm anyways. 

See (as has already been said!):

8. Students who accept an offer shall immediately notify firms from whom they have an outstanding offer or with whom they have scheduled interviews. Students who have already accepted an offer shall not thereafter participate in interviews with other firms or accept offers subsequently received.

9. Firms shall not knowingly make an offer to a student who has already accepted a position at another firm.

• Like 2

Remember that this is just a discussion to seek input - while i was leaning towards firmm 2, i clearly put the question out to help aid in my decision. I enjoyed the substantive debate. 

3 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

I feel terrible for whatever firm you choose. 

Do I win the day?

7 minutes ago, sasky24 said:

You're risking tarnishing your non-existent reputation in a small professional community over a few thousand dollars this summer? It's just a better paying 2L summer job. It isn't going to significantly help to ease your debt load. You can always work your way up through the articling recruit & later on. 

I get that you're in a shitty situation and the temptation is there to take the money & run with it. But take a step back and think of it from a long-term career perspective. The advice everyone is giving you is well-founded, you should follow LSO code. Unless of course, you really don't care on whether your $100k ends up in a license. 

It’s not a shitty situation at all. OP, unlike many others on here, has a paying, legal, 2L summer job and a possibility of well-paying articles at another firm.... if s/he doesn’t screw it up.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Zina said:

Remember that this is just a discussion to seek input - while i was leaning towards firmm 2, i clearly put the question out to help aid in my decision. I enjoyed the substantive debate. 

And you literally got 100% of people (who are notorious for usually disagreeing with each other) agreeing on the same "input". You're just choosing to turn a blind eye to it and label it as a debate. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Zina said:

Remember that this is just a discussion to seek input - while i was leaning towards firmm 2, i clearly put the question out to help aid in my decision. I enjoyed the substantive debate.  [emphasis added]

There is no debate at all. This is a clear situation where there a right answer and a wrong answer. If only the bar exam were this easy...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sasky24 said:

And you literally got 100% of people (who are notorious for usually disagreeing with each other) agreeing on the same "input". You're just choosing to turn a blind eye to it and label it as a debate. 

Not necessarily true. Blocked and I have agreed, IIRC, a total of once before. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, katurian said:

There is no debate at all. This is a clear situation where there a right answer and a wrong answer. If only the bar exam were this easy...

Very good point - the bar exam has ethical questions like this. 

8 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

I feel terrible for whatever firm you choose. 

Why don’t you just take a big step back and realize what you’re saying here. I don’t know the OP and it seems like they might be on the verge of making a bad decision, but if they had already made a decision to go back on their word then they wouldn’t have made a thread. Obviously they want advice, and advice was given.

I don’t know if that advice will be followed, but to imply that someone won’t be a good lawyer or won’t be successful in their chosen career path because they are tempted to do something that they think will be better for their career and life then I think what you wrote says a lot more about you then it does about them.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1