Sign in to follow this  
Rascal2017

Parking

I wanted to ask if anyone has any info on how the parking works at York.

1) Are law students allowed to park in the reserved lots?

2) Are law students allowed to park in lot 82 (Nelson Lot) specifically?

3) Are parking spots readily available?

Any info would be appreciated.

I'm trying to decide on whether to commute (30 minute drive) from home or look at getting a place within walking distance to the law school.  Public transit from my home is difficult.

1) Yes

2) There's a multi-year wait list for Nelson that's largely populated by employees. I'd go for the Passy Crescent lot instead.

3)  Passy tends to get full. I'd get my application in by July latest.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ZineZ said:

1) Yes

2) There's a multi-year wait list for Nelson that's largely populated by employees. I'd go for the Passy Crescent lot instead.

3)  Passy tends to get full. I'd get my application in by July latest.

Thank you, that's very helpful

I would definitely drive to school in that situation. The parking pass is costly (~$1000/year), but it's vastly cheaper than renting an apartment near campus (and there's really no nice housing near campus). 

8 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

I would definitely drive to school in that situation. The parking pass is costly (~$1000/year), but it's vastly cheaper than renting an apartment near campus (and there's really no nice housing near campus). 

Is it worth it to bring a car and park it off if I'm staying at Osgoode chambers? Would make going home, getting groceries, etc. much easier

Another quick one:  Is there temporary day parking available, and if so what's the cost approximately? I would anticipate to stay with family downtown and take transit during the week, but rather drive & park on Fridays to be able to drive home right after my day is finished. Hard to justify paying for parking like that when transit is infinitely cheaper (and likely quicker).

18 hours ago, Rascal2017 said:

I'm trying to decide on whether to commute (30 minute drive) from home or look at getting a place within walking distance to the law school.  Public transit from my home is difficult.

1) Yes. But keep in mind, "outer reserved" are different from "reserved" and the lot you'll want is Passy, which is "outer reserved," so keep that in mind when looking at prices and what you'll be applying for (I applied for "reserved" and the office discarded my application. I had to call to change everything since I was, apparently, too brain dead to realize "outer" reserved was different from "regular" reserved. Alas, this is York administration at its finest.) 

2) Technically, yes. But that lot currently has a backlog the size of Mt. Everest, so there's pretty much no chance you'll get it, plus it's way more expensive than Passy, and the distance walking-wise to Osgoode is negligible (1 minute for nelson vs. 3 minutes for Passy) 

3) Yes, but Passy fills up by July-August so get your shit it in asap. 

You might also consider getting somewhere on the university line so you can subway, so that, just in case there's a strike, you won't be blocked by picketers coming into school (as happened to me this year--strikes are like the common cold at York so I wouldn't doubt another happening any given year). That said the university line can also be unreliable and slow but at least you don't have to sit in traffic and/or be blocked by picketers. 

10 minutes ago, TrqTTs said:

Another quick one:  Is there temporary day parking available, and if so what's the cost approximately? I would anticipate to stay with family downtown and take transit during the week, but rather drive & park on Fridays to be able to drive home right after my day is finished. Hard to justify paying for parking like that when transit is infinitely cheaper (and likely quicker).

Yes. I haven't paid since August last year, but back then it was $15 a day. 

• Thanks 1

On 2018-04-06 at 2:28 PM, Inconspicuous said:

Is it worth it to bring a car and park it off if I'm staying at Osgoode chambers? Would make going home, getting groceries, etc. much easier

I think it’s worth it. The groceries stores and well... nothing (lol) is close by. It’s the part of the city where you’ll need a car to get around and run your errands. In this case you can opt for one of the cheapest lots since you won’t need your car as frequently.

I also know of students who rented a private spot from one of the surrounding townhome owners. This is fairly common if you just need a place to store it. It worked out a lot cheaper but it depends on your comfort level. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, healthlaw said:

I think it’s worth it. The groceries stores and well... nothing (lol) is close by. It’s the part of the city where you’ll need a car to get around and run your errands. In this case you can opt for one of the cheapest lots since you won’t need your car as frequently.

I also know of students who rented a private spot from one of the surrounding townhome owners. This is fairly common if you just need a place to store it. It worked out a lot cheaper but it depends on your comfort level. 

Cheers. Thanks for the advice. That said, I assume there is a parking lot at Chambers? I'll probably opt for that just for the convenience factor

57 minutes ago, Inconspicuous said:

Cheers. Thanks for the advice. That said, I assume there is a parking lot at Chambers? I'll probably opt for that just for the convenience factor

Yeah chambers has a lot. That’s where most law students park. I think it’s about $1000 for the year. 

• Thanks 1

On 2018-04-05 at 7:47 PM, Rascal2017 said:

Passy Lot is your best bet for now but it books up so getting a spot early is best.  In the meantime you could also put yourself on the Nelson Lot waitlist which has a saying that you’ll get a spot for 3L and that is exactly what happened to me.  I put myself on the Nelson Lot wait list (I called parking services for that back in June of 2015 and got the spot for 3L in summer 2017), but even earlier is best when the waitlist opens up.  Good luck and congrats on getting into Oz!

What’s the difference of unreserved and reserved parking? Also, What’s the closest parking to chambers? 

Thanks 

18 minutes ago, samuellevin said:

What’s the difference of unreserved and reserved parking? Also, What’s the closest parking to chambers? 

Thanks 

Unreserved means they give you a permit to park but you might not get a spot if a particular lot is full. Reserved means they sell only as many permits as they have spots, so you’ll always have a place to park. For obvious reasons, reserved permits are more expensive. 

Closest lot to chambers is Passy. 

I noticed that parking permit dates start on sept 1st, but Osgoode classes and orientation start a good week to ten days before that. Anyone know what happens in that time frame? Do I have to pay for the parking or would it just be included in the reserved payment? 

3 hours ago, samuellevin said:

I noticed that parking permit dates start on sept 1st, but Osgoode classes and orientation start a good week to ten days before that. Anyone know what happens in that time frame? Do I have to pay for the parking or would it just be included in the reserved payment? 

You have to pay for parking, or find alternative parking at black creek or elsewhere. 

3 hours ago, samuellevin said:

IIRC I got a week pass from parking services on top of my permit. 

6 minutes ago, ZineZ said:

They wouldn't give it to me, but definitely try if you can. 

32 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

They wouldn't give it to me, but definitely try if you can. 

I mean that I bought one for a week. Did they not let you do it? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZineZ said:

Did you get this when you applied for the permit or around the start of the semester?