Sign in to follow this  
saraeliz

Law School Chances - What should I do?? Help

1 hour ago, KilltheLSAT said:

Playing doubles advocate.

Is that a tennis thing?

• Like 3

17 hours ago, capitalttruth said:

Justice Dickson's opinions more specifically pursuant to the latter.

That's Chief Justice Dickson, actually. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PerniciousLaw said:

That's Former Chief Justice Dickson, to be frank.

• Like 1

On 03/04/2018 at 11:20 AM, saraeliz said:

I am sort of glad I got these negative comments and “reality checks”. It made me realize how closed off the law community is. 

"law community" is a pretty big community, and not all of them have time to check every single person for their uniqueness. LSATs, GPAs and so-on are useful to filter through candidates, LSAT especially given its the strongest predictor of school success albeit very awfully (0.3-0.4 LSAT to first year grades correlation). 

With that said, I did awfully on the LSAT the first time, and many others did too. Some clawed their way upwards through persistence and diligence and shifting in thinking. I did not do this for undergrad and learned some pretty valuable lessons on diligence. An LSAT score isn't something to dismiss offhand. 

On 03/04/2018 at 11:26 AM, saraeliz said:

I appreciate your sarcasm. Hopefully, in the future Harvard’s change of heart will affect all law schools. They now have multiple ways of entering law school. 

They are still using standarized scores though, and its a very small number that taps into those PhDs switching fields. 

On 03/04/2018 at 11:09 AM, saraeliz said:

It’s not that I am saying that everyone who has a 170 is grouped into this category. I am stating that I think life experience is more imperative that a LSAT stat. I don’t think I’m better than anyone else. 

I do believe my application should be valued holistically.

Both are useful obviously. But life-experience isn't something people can reduce to like an essay or two necessarily, and the purpose of training lawyers isn't for just one group or set of groups 

More importantly, schools don't serve just a social purpose. They serve many, many roles including training people to serve useful functions in the economy, to be able to prosecute and so-on. These require people to think in all sorts of different ways, and someone who overcame tremendous life experience doesn't necessarily interpret a set of statutes on IP law better than some human computer who did JK-to-JD. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, PavetheWay said:

That's Former Chief Justice Dickson, to be frank.

The late former Chief Justice Dickson, if we're being pedantic. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On the point about Harvard's adopting the GRE, since the GRE is a very similar test to the LSAT (and, apparently, an equally useful predictor of sucess), I'm not sure how adopting the GRE remotely addresses the op's complaint. The main driver for it appears to be that it's a more accessible test outside of North America. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, maximumbob said:

On the point about Harvard's adopting the GRE, since the GRE is a very similar test to the LSAT (and, apparently, an equally useful predictor of sucess), I'm not sure how adopting the GRE remotely addresses the op's complaint. The main driver for it appears to be that it's a more accessible test outside of North America. 

Yeah I've never understood this argument. Just another standardized test, and those that don't test well will still struggle. I guess some people just really hate logic games.

On 4/3/2018 at 10:39 AM, providence said:

I’m sorry you’ve had some rough experiences and that you’re feeling discouraged.

I do think you need a little reality check, though. It is way too early to have “judge” as a goal, first of all. I have been a lawyer for several years and I sometimes think of wanting to be a judge but it’s too early for me. Not only is the process incredibly competitive and political, but you have to be an outstanding lawyer first. There are plenty of amazing lawyers who want to be judges who never do. That should not be your goal because it might not happen. Being a great lawyer should be your goal, which may then open other doors. 

Also, not everyone who has a 170 has no life experience and sat and studied 24/7 and not everyone who had challenges in life and had to work did poorly on the LSAT and got bad grades. I kind of resent that assumption because it doesn’t reflect my experiences. And some people sit and study 24/7 and still can’t get a 170. The LSAT doesn’t work like that.

Also, in terms of being holistic, sure, schools are holistic, but not completely at the expense of grades. I suspect that holistic factors are used more as tie-breakers between people with similar stats than to let in much lower stats than their normal range. And you have no idea what other peoples’ stories are. I guarantee you are not the only applicant who struggled. Or the only one with good reference letters or who wants to do social justice and make a difference. 

That being said, what can you do now if you don’t get into a school? Well if you didn’t study 24/7 for the LSAT you should try it and see if your score goes up. Your score is really not competitive. Also did you apply in the regular category? If you did, try the mature category next time. 

I echo all of the above, but just wanted to reiterate, ultimately being resentful towards the system and other people's comparative "time" to yours will do nothing to make schools want to accept you more. At the end of the day, 90% of what these schools look at is statistical probability of success based on grades and LSAT. So if being a lawyer is your dream, you should prioritize that LSAT and maybe even consider going back to school for another semester to improve your GPA. One more semester of straight As, as well as a 160 + on your LSAT, will (in my opinion) put you in the running at Dal, Western, and Queens (they look at last 2). 

14 hours ago, providence said:

Do you mean devils' advocate? Because you look arrogant/stupid/naive/foolish/ridiculous/annoying. It's like showing up to the first day of high school football and telling everyone your ultimate goal is to play in the NFL. Well, great.... but why don't you focus on getting in shape and learning the game first? You should be letting other people say to you, "Hey, ever thought of being a judge?" Not telling "everyone" that you want to. 

Hey, this is my opinion alone (ok, and that of some people I've talked with, including judges.) If people disagree or think they know better, go ahead and tell everyone you want to be a judge, and maybe I'm wrong as to what they'll be thinking of that. 

Also I think the whole point of being a judge is intellectual humility so that looks like something OP might want to try to cultivate.... 

Edited by thereleasestg
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, thereleasestg said:

Also I think the whole point of being a judge is intellectual humility so that looks like something OP might want to try to cultivate.... 

I thought the point of being a judge was job security with an excellent  salary, lots of vacation time, a cushy pension and a platform to write witty/caustic judgements about the world around them.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, maximumbob said:

I thought the point of being a judge was job security with an excellent  salary, lots of vacation time, a cushy pension and a platform to write witty/caustic judgements about the world around them.   

I still remember the first time I heard of going supernumerary... The amount of fishing some of them can do is the stuff dreams are made of.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, providence said:

In the back of your mind, sure. Or with close friends. I've had it in the back of my mind. I've had people informally ask about it. But I would not put on my PS for law school that I hope to be a judge. I wouldn't tell my classmates this on the first day of law school. I wouldn't bring it up in job interviews. I would not say it to senior lawyers. 

If it's something you really want, you need to build your connections and earn your reputation early - those are the two best things to do. 

Don’t get me wrong - I wholeheartedly agree with this. I still remember the individual who introduced himself in my undergraduate school’s accepted FB group and included that they wanted to be PM one day, and had trouble not thinking about every time I had to talk to them. The level of ego and naivety in doing something like that is... difficult to parallel, in either circumstance 

Edited by ToLawAndLetLaw
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, KilltheLSAT said:

Hahaha. Don't know what I was thinking.

With Easter behind us, Passover almost over, and the start of the Eastern Orthodox Easter Triduum about to start on their calendar, you were choosing to be respectful to people who might be offended by use of, even if not capitalizing "Devil's Advocate"?

Of course, if you had moderated your language to avoid possibly offending others, that would have been a definite rarity on this board, and an implausible claim... :twisted:

Edited by epeeist
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, maximumbob said:

1 hour ago, hopefulcanadianlawyr said:

I still remember the first time I heard of going supernumerary... The amount of fishing some of them can do is the stuff dreams are made of.

OK you guys, you've convinced me - I'm telling everyone MY ULTIMATE GOAL IS TO BE A JUDGE.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, epeeist said:

With Easter behind us, Passover almost over, and the start of the Eastern Orthodox Easter Triduum about to start on their calendar, you were choosing to be respectful to people who might be offended by use of, even if not capitalizing "Devil's Advocate"?

Of course, if you had moderated your language to avoid possibly offending others, that would have been a definite rarity on this board, and an implausible claim... :twisted:

Hey, the Devil's Advocate played an important role in the church - arguing against canonizing people so that there was an opportunity to discover if they had any weaknesses. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, PerniciousLaw said:

Perhaps they were referencing judgements of Dickson J. (as he then was)? He was a puisne justice for eleven years.  

1 hour ago, hopefulcanadianlawyr said:

Don’t get me wrong - I wholeheartedly agree with this. I still remember the individual who introduced himself in my undergraduate school’s accepted FB group and included that they wanted to be PM one day, and had trouble not thinking about every time I had to talk to them. The level of ego and naivety in doing something like that is... difficult to parallel, in either circumstance 

And are they anywhere close to being PM now? Are they even an MP? 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, PerisoreusCanadensis said:

Perhaps they were referencing judgements of Dickson J. (as he then was)? He was a puisne justice for eleven years.  

I sometimes wish I could go back to when I joined this site and change my username to AsSheThenWas. But then again, that looks too much like "ass, he then was".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, providence said:

And are they anywhere close to being PM now? Are they even an MP? 

Oh god no. They gave up very quickly, probably halfway into first year. They are on some kind of a never ending walk of shame. A lesson for all of us young folks.