Hi there,

I applied in the discretionary category for UBC 2018 entry. My status is currently file awaiting evaluation... I am wondering if any other students in this category have gotten rejection or acceptance letters yet.
If so, what were your stats and special factors for applying 

Mine:
Special Factors: History of homelessness,  coming to Canada a a refugee,  former high-risk, having to work full-time during UNDGRD to fund education and living expense independently.  
Work experience: 5+ years experience working in the Downtown eastside and greater Vancouver with street involved youth in crisis.  In all my leadership positions I have been a youth advocate for youth in care with the ministry . Most of the work is directly being involved in advocacy work with various government ministries. 
Education: BA in psych from S.F.U (3.2 GPA after drops) 
LSAT: 135 ( I know very low... however my work experience and special factors I think are very relevant and impressive even if i lack in this one area)

• Like 1

You have an amazing story, inspiring and comendable 

I'm discretionary myself, I made poor choices when I was young, dropped out of high school, assoociated with the wrong crowds and had a poor mentality and mental schemas,  father went to jail for 10 yrs when I was 17 right before i dropped out , in some ways he was a very negative influence in my development  ,  I just really needed to clear my mind and find out who I was and was given that chance to find thisn out when he was incarcerated, by 23 I decided i wanted more from myaelf and i finished my high school degree and went to uni

We wont' hear back until prob late of May, they will have a big meeting and prob accept around 20 of us prob 300 of us applied in this category, so don't worry if it takes some time they won't touch our file until then, 

84.7 cgpa with drops, 160 Dec lsat and 162 Feb lsat

Best of luck to all.of us 

• Thanks 1

3.13/LSAT 1 - 154, LSAT 2 - 164.

Have not heard back yet. I've work 4-5 years DT Van in mid-management in management/consulting right after University. Extenuating circumstance included health complications causing me to miss a significant amount of school. After which I lead a project that concluded with significant provincial and federal support both financially and politically with major news coverage throughout Canada. Do not want to go into detail as it would identify me.

I'm not hopeful I'll be accepted, after talking with many colleagues and seeing stories like the two above it puts into perspective the type of competition in this category. Best wishes to the both of you!

• Like 1

On 3/29/2018 at 1:56 PM, Timmies123 said:

You have an amazing story, inspiring and comendable 

I'm discretionary myself, I made poor choices when I was young, dropped out of high school, assoociated with the wrong crowds and had a poor mentality and mental schemas,  father went to jail for 10 yrs when I was 17 right before i dropped out , in some ways he was a very negative influence in my development  ,  I just really needed to clear my mind and find out who I was and was given that chance to find thisn out when he was incarcerated, by 23 I decided i wanted more from myaelf and i finished my high school degree and went to uni

We wont' hear back until prob late of May, they will have a big meeting and prob accept around 20 of us prob 300 of us applied in this category, so don't worry if it takes some time they won't touch our file until then, 

84.7 cgpa with drops, 160 Dec lsat and 162 Feb lsat

Best of luck to all.of us 

Wow your  life experience background and your stats are awesome!  I wish the best of look for us all :)  You have done a lot of growth and I wish you good-luck and hope you get in ! 

I am really nervous because this was my first time writing the LSAT in December and I scored 135.  If I knew ahead of time I wouldn't score well I would have re-written  in Feb 2018. Can't change anything now and hoping for the best with my work experience and decent gpa 3.2 after drops.  My references are also very strong from my work so im hoping the applications are looked at holistically  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, kjac2014 said:

Wow your  life experience background and your stats are awesome!  I wish the best of look for us all :)  You have done a lot of growth and I wish you good-luck and hope you get in ! 

I am really nervous because this was my first time writing the LSAT in December and I scored 135.  If I knew ahead of time I wouldn't score well I would have re-written  in Feb 2018. Can't change anything now and hoping for the best with my work experience and decent gpa 3.2 after drops.  My references are also very strong from my work so im hoping the applications are looked at holistically  

Applications are looked at holistically but to be honest, I do not think your chances of being accepted are very high.

You have a very interesting background but I do want to gently mention that a number of the people I go to school with have similar backgrounds in addition to good stats.  Your GPA would be low for UBC if you applied General category and you scored in the 5th percentile on the LSAT.

I really do hope it works out for you. But if it doesn't, please do rewrite and don't get discouraged. I know a few people who were accepted in the Discretionary category who had to apply repeatedly but did eventually get in. It is a very competitive and hard to predict category. Best of luck.

Edited by Starling
  • Like 4

Hello! 

Thanks for the honesty I do really appreciate it, I'm planning on re-writing in July and will just keep applying every year until I get in if I don't make it this round.

• Like 1

Just now, kjac2014 said:

Hello! 

Thanks for the honesty I do really appreciate it, I'm planning on re-writing in July and will just keep applying every year until I get in if I don't make it this round.

47 minutes ago, Starling said:

Applications are looked at holistically but to be honest, I do not think your chances of being accepted are very high.

You have a very interesting background but I do want to gently mention that a number of the people I go to school with have similar backgrounds in addition to good stats.  Your GPA would be low for UBC if you applied General category and you scored in the 5th percentile on the LSAT.

I really do hope it works out for you. But if it doesn't, please do rewrite and don't get discouraged. I know a few people who were accepted in the Discretionary category who had to apply repeatedly but did eventually get in. It is a very competitive and hard to predict category. Best of luck.

3 minutes ago, kjac2014 said:

That sounds like a great approach - I hope it works out and I recommend applying broadly next round, if you can, since evaluation criteria for schools in the Discretionary category seems to vary widely.

16 minutes ago, Starling said:

That sounds like a great approach - I hope it works out and I recommend applying broadly next round, if you can, since evaluation criteria for schools in the Discretionary category seems to vary widely.

I hope so too!! I'm trying to stay positive but if I don't get in I will just keep trying. No time to give up just gotta keep moving forward. I have an offer from N.Y.U (New York University) to do my masters in Social Work. They actually have a joint JD/Masters in Social Work program.  I didn't get accepted into N.Y.U law when I applied but can still start the social work masters degree and re-apply for law next year to do a joint degree. I specifically want to practice in NYC. UBC would be the best option for me funding wise to stay here at home and then later on transition to NYC in my career in a few years. Plan is to specialize in child welfare law and be a child and youth advocate for those in government care.  Lots of steps to take to make that happen but hey just gotta stay determined :) 

I just want to acknowledge the experiences of some of the posters here in this thread. I’ve lived through some of those things and it’s not easy. Good for you guys for keeping going every day and best of luck.

• Like 4

I have withdrawn my Application, after consulting with my family, despite my strong desire to attend UBC, they have requested me to accept another offer for multiple reasons pertaining to my family situation 

I hope thats one less application to compete for one of these seats, I know the seats will all go to very deserving individuals and just wanted to wish the applicants the best of luck 

14 hours ago, Timmies123 said:

I have withdrawn my Application, after consulting with my family, despite my strong desire to attend UBC, they have requested me to accept another offer for multiple reasons pertaining to my family situation 

I hope thats one less application to compete for one of these seats, I know the seats will all go to very deserving individuals and just wanted to wish the applicants the best of luck 

I wish you all the best! where did you accept the offer ? You will rock it your background and stats are great :)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@kjac2014 thank you:) I ended up accepting an offer from osgoode

I Definitely hope you end up in one of those 20 seats come end of May, good luck!

Edited by Timmies123

On 2018-04-09 at 3:04 PM, kjac2014 said:

I hope so too!! I'm trying to stay positive but if I don't get in I will just keep trying. No time to give up just gotta keep moving forward. I have an offer from N.Y.U (New York University) to do my masters in Social Work. They actually have a joint JD/Masters in Social Work program.  I didn't get accepted into N.Y.U law when I applied but can still start the social work masters degree and re-apply for law next year to do a joint degree. I specifically want to practice in NYC. UBC would be the best option for me funding wise to stay here at home and then later on transition to NYC in my career in a few years. Plan is to specialize in child welfare law and be a child and youth advocate for those in government care.  Lots of steps to take to make that happen but hey just gotta stay determined :) 

Wow, going to NYU for social work would be amazing - congratulations! 

On 4/19/2018 at 1:57 PM, Timmies123 said:

@kjac2014 thank you:) I ended up accepting an offer from osgoode

I Definitely hope you end up in one of those 20 seats come end of May, good luck!

oh wow nice! great school :) you will rock it

• Like 1

On 4/20/2018 at 8:09 AM, Starling said:

Wow, going to NYU for social work would be amazing - congratulations! 

Thank you!!! :) 

Spoke with admissions yesterday, they said discretionary decisions will be made next week by mid week.

40 minutes ago, DJ89 said:

Spoke with admissions yesterday, they said discretionary decisions will be made next week by mid week.

thanks was wondering the same.

1 hour ago, DJ89 said:

I got the same answer today from them. I wish everyone the best of luck! 🌴🌴