MrBing

Crowsnest/ Apartment

Hi all, I made a Crowsnest application this week and am just wondering if anyone has any idea on my chances of getting a room?

- I am open to living in an apartment as well so if anyone has any specific building in Calgary that they'd recommend it would be appreciated! 

Posted (edited)

No idea for crowsnest but there are a lot of great rental options in Calgary right now. Depending on if you drive or want to take public transit and other variables (do you mind downtown?, are you uncomfortable with sketchier areas?, do you want to be in a newer, modern building?, do you want budget options?, and do you want to be near trendy shopping areas?) I could give you a few pointers.

Personally I like Mission and had a great budget apartment there. Boardwalk apartments are always a decent choice too.

Edited by ImposterSyndrome

My budget is around a 1000 a month all in (I've never paid for utilities so I'm not sure what it would cost for one person), public transit and ideally located close to a grocery store

Okay :) well later today I will send you some DMs with a few good listings to check out. I'm currently looking as well since I'm moving back to 'cowtown' sometime soon.

Posted (edited)
On 3/29/2018 at 9:06 AM, MrBing said:

Hi all, I made a Crowsnest application this week and am just wondering if anyone has any idea on my chances of getting a room?

- I am open to living in an apartment as well so if anyone has any specific building in Calgary that they'd recommend it would be appreciated! 

From your budgetary limit, I'd say that you have a good chance of getting a studio unit at the very least (these tend to be the ones in excess), however it depends on what's happening during the year. This past year the building was full due to a cohort of international students. 

Brentwood and Kensington are great neighbourhoods and are close to transit/grocery shops. I know some people who live in University City in Brentwood and they really like it. 

Good luck finding something! 

Edited by RoonilWazlib
  • Like 1

I went to see the apartments in university city (Brentwood) and they were nice and clean. It's close to grocery stores (Safeway) and coffee shops. There's also a home depot and a pier 1 import walking distance from there. One thing I didn't like was how it was really secluded there. If you don't mind that, this might be an option for you. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the input everyone, I decided to do crowsnest for 1 L (Was able to snag a 1 bedroom!).  Im definitely coming back to Ontario in the summer time, so the 8 month lease is attractive as well as its location and I assume that there will be other law students in the building which will be good to develop a social network. 

• Like 1

Crowsnest FYI: the building holds a fire alarm once per semester (on a random date) at ~6:30 am. If the building doesn’t pass, they do it again another morning. 

God speed you poor souls. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 03/04/2018 at 6:45 PM, PoisonApple said:

I went to see the apartments in university city (Brentwood) and they were nice and clean. It's close to grocery stores (Safeway) and coffee shops. There's also a home depot and a pier 1 import walking distance from there. One thing I didn't like was how it was really secluded there. If you don't mind that, this might be an option for you. 

I actually went to see one yesterday and it was a bit of a shoe-box for the price. Agreed on the isolation and stuff. I am on 17 ave right now and am really pondering if I should be moving at all right now. 

My lease comes up soon and I am thinking being super close to U of C for 1L is going to help me, but not sure at what cost. 

Then comes the whole "should I buy arts parking vs live in Brentwood shoe-box"

Choices choices! Good luck everyone 

Edited by soulmeetsbody12

2 hours ago, soulmeetsbody12 said:

I actually went to see one yesterday and it was a bit of a shoe-box for the price. Agreed on the isolation and stuff. I am on 17 ave right now and am really pondering if I should be moving at all right now. 

My lease comes up soon and I am thinking being super close to U of C for 1L is going to help me, but not sure at what cost. 

how much is parking? Do you buy it on a monthly basis? 

On 2018-04-04 at 9:27 AM, MrBing said:

Thanks for the input everyone, I decided to do crowsnest for 1 L (Was able to snag a 1 bedroom!).  Im definitely coming back to Ontario in the summer time, so the 8 month lease is attractive as well as its location and I assume that there will be other law students in the building which will be good to develop a social network. 

Is Crowsnest where the law students reside? Just want to make sure before I go forth with the booking. Thanks!

On 2018-05-07 at 2:00 PM, psigm said:

Is Crowsnest where the law students reside? Just want to make sure before I go forth with the booking. Thanks!

From what I've gathered Crowsnest is mostly a graduate res (so a mix of med, law, and PhD students). I'd wager most of the law students live off campus, but I can guarantee at least some live in Crowsnest. 

• Like 1

On 4/5/2018 at 8:38 AM, soulmeetsbody12 said:

I lived in Beltline for 3L and it was fine. That said it was 3LoL and not 1L.

12 hours ago, MrBing said:

From what I've gathered Crowsnest is mostly a graduate res (so a mix of med, law, and PhD students). I'd wager most of the law students live off campus, but I can guarantee at least some live in Crowsnest. 

All of your assumptions are correct. There will probably be 5-10 people in res in your class.

On 2018-04-04 at 9:27 AM, MrBing said:

I submitted my application and paid the $50 for applying for residence but have not heard back from anyone. Do you mind telling me what the next steps were/how long it took after you submitted your application for residence? 

11 minutes ago, psigm said:

I submitted my application and paid the $50 for applying for residence but have not heard back from anyone. Do you mind telling me what the next steps were/how long it took after you submitted your application for residence? 

I never received an email notifying me that I could register or a register time slot. I just logged in back into the res portal one random day, clicked on the cycle I was applying for, "continue application" i think?, and then it prompted me to select a room.  

• Like 1