Sign in to follow this  
mootqueenJD69

Fulfilling French condition over the summer

Hi all,

I was recently admitted to the program with the condition of passing an advanced-intermediate French class over the summer. I was just wondering how other students have gone about fulfilling this condition? I'm planning to take intensive French through the school of continuing studies at McGill. Has anybody taken the program through the YMCA? 

I would NOT go with YMCA French courses in general. The teacher I had there was terrible (I'm a qualified ESL teacher, so it's easy to spot bad teachers) and the quality overall of the course was bad. Plus, it's really expensive for what you get. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jnel00 said:

I would NOT go with YMCA French courses in general. The teacher I had there was terrible (I'm a qualified ESL teacher, so it's easy to spot bad teachers) and the quality overall of the course was bad. Plus, it's really expensive for what you get. 

I agree with the above statement.  YMCA - NO WAY!  For leisure it would be OK, but not for this.   

Edited by WaitingOnTheHorizon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WaitingOnTheHorizon said:

I agree with the above statement.  YMCA - NO WAY!  For leisure it would be OK, but not for this.   

I like that you rhymed. Always rhyme if you get the opportunity. 

• Haha 2

I agree with the others - the YMCA classes are a joke.  I took some on the evenings during the first year and they weren't helpful at all.  The class was not a serious one in terms of material learnt or approach.  I took the intensive beginner's Spanish class and that was excellent.  The breadth of material involved and instruction was a great.  I'd say hands down choose McGill over the YMCA.  I don't even know if the YMCA courses would be accepted as fulfilling your requirement.  Also j'explore might be an idea - i think they offer intermediate or advanced sessions and it's all covered by a bursary including your lodgings.

• Like 1

UQAM also offers the explore program, but has the advantage of being within a French university. Though McGill's program is probably the same course-wise, you won't truly be in as immersive of a program due to its predominantly anglophone community. UQAM offers a more immersive French experience and allows you to meet Francophones studying there. I'd say it's a better option for those looking for a French environment outside of class as well, and an opportunity to explore Montreal outside of the McGill bubble. 

• Thanks 1

I took French classes at UQAM for a semester. I think it helps to be around Francophones and others who don't know English because you are forced to speak French. You can apply as an independent student (étudiant libre) and take courses during the summer under this program: https://etudier.uqam.ca/programme?code=4650#bloc_presentation
I would definitely recommend this program. You'll get to extensively work on your writing, grammar, and speaking skills. You have to pass an exam,which isn't particularly hard, to be admitted. 

• Thanks 2